Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Just Joshin' ya!

Origin8 Ultim8 Adjustable Seatpost Review

I have a Niner Jet 9 Carbon that I use for more trail riding than XC and sometimes I find myself in tricky terrain where I could use a dropper post. I ride my Niner on Phoenix's National Trail and there are certain obstacles like the waterfall that I can ride on my 100 mm travel bike if I can only get the damn seat out of the way. I did not want to spend a fortune on a dropper post so I decided to take a big chance and buy something off the internet that I know was manufactured in China. So, I purchased an Origin8 Ultim8 Adjustable Seatpost for 85 dollars on Ebay just to see if it was worth it.

Out of the box, it seemed solid, like a copy of the Gravity Dropper. It has the same spring loaded actuation as the GD and it has 110 mm of drop. The weight is claimed at 565 grams and I would say it is pretty close according to my scale at home. 20 oz. That is lighter than a KS LEV so hopefully the thing works and is durable.

The remote is a bit harder to push than more expensive brands, but it still works fine. It is just not a smooth operation. The seatpost will pop up and smack you in the nuts if you are not careful when extending, just like the gravity dropper. It is best to keep your bum on it while bringing it back up. While it technically has three setting, I always bypass the mid setting. Up or down is all I need. I will update this thread with more information as I ride it more, but for now, it seems to be working fine. Not bad for 85 bucks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Origin8 Ultim8 Adjustable Seatpost Review-lowered.jpg  

Origin8 Ultim8 Adjustable Seatpost Review-switch.jpg  

Origin8 Ultim8 Adjustable Seatpost Review-righ-extent.jpg  

Origin8 Ultim8 Adjustable Seatpost Review-left-extend.jpg  

Origin8 Ultim8 Adjustable Seatpost Review-niner.jpg  

What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Not a bad looking, low-cost option. Thanks for taking the plunge.

squish, squish in da fish
    lets hope it holds up. please report back after you get some miles on it.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Origin8 Ultim8 Adjustable Seatpost Review

You had any more rides with this since your last post?

I'm interested in getting a dropper, but also don't want to spend $300-$400 on one.

You know what the warranty is on it?

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

unrooted
    How hard is it to "find" the middle position? I have a Reverb which is working okay for me, and after a few months of riding I've found that I enjoy putting the seat down a couple of inches on sections that I want to stand and pedal through- like rock gardens, log hops, etc.

At first I was only full up or full down, but I feel alot more in control on rocky climbs if the saddle isn't too far away from me, but still out of the way if I need to put a lot of english into my positioning.

mtbr member
    I've been running this dropper for most of this season, including two enduros...so far so good. Probably about 50 rides, ~500 miles of single track.

I've taken it apart once for a cleaning/greasing and to increase the spring tension. It still sticks a little bit getting into the fully extended position, but not every time. I use the mid position a fair bit on rolling terrain, and it's pretty easy to find.

Pros:
    Cheap
    Works pretty well
    Reliable
    Fixed cable position
    Simple

Cons:
    Small amount of saddle play (not noticeable when seated pedaling)
    High effort to actuate (plan on trying the KS odi clamp lever over the winter)
    Some times I wish it had a little more drop, but not often.

All said and done, it is a great upgrade for a great price!

mtbr member
    May 2013

I'm gonna give it a try, thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Very nice looking jet9 btw

Just Joshin' ya!
    So I have ridden using this post about three times now. I can agree with what 8valvegrowl has said. The post works pretty well. The remote is getting easier to use for me but it did take some effort at first. There is a little bit of fore/aft play in the post, but it is not noticeable. It is no more play than what I had in my KS I950 on my old Titus El Guapo.

The only thing I have noticed is you need to make sure that you have locked the post in position. It makes a solid click when you do. Sometimes, I think I do not pull my thumb off of the remote all the way and the lock does not engage completely. This has led to the post jumping up on my by surprise. However, it always happens within a second or two of me lowering it. Basically, I know now to listen for the click and get my damn thumb off the remote as soon as I have passed the middle setting. That way, the lock engages crisply and the post stays down.

Other than that, it seems to be a good post. It has allowed me to turn my Jet 9 into a real trail shredder. I still have all the packaging in case I need to have it warrantied. I am not sure what the warranty is though. Probably just 90 days but next time I am in the garage, I will look.

I will update this thread from time to time to let you all know how it is going.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

squish, squish in da fish
    thanks for the update and plz keep us in the loop on long term. for $85 though its pretty disposable. i'm torn on the origin8 or a GD at the moment. jenson has a 4" for $220

mtbr member
    Yeah, when I first bought it, I figured for the price, if I got one season out of it, I'd be more than happy. So, for the record I'm more than happy!

mtbr member
    May 2013

That's my thought also. If it lasts 2 years i'll be happy. Seems like a lot of people report problems with the higher end ones too. Don't mind if its not quite as efficient or light, just need it to work as advertised.

Mine should arrive today, looking forward to it. Have never ridin w a dropper before. I'll put an update after a few rides of how it's working.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just installed one on my bike today. It works well so far. I'm going to try it on the trail tomorrow and I'll report back on my impressions too.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Just put mine on and it seems to work pretty well.

Per some recommendations on the amazon reviews I took it apart and removed the plastic over the spring, which seemed to help.

The top and middle seem easiest for me to find. Oddly the lowest part is the hardest. It seems to engage but not with the confidence inspiring click that the middle and top settings make.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Origin8 Ultim8 Adjustable Seatpost Review-uploadfromtaptalk1382666619689.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Did you try letting out more slack in the cable with the barrel adjuster? Mine felt the same until I loosened it. (I also removed the plastic thing and re-greased based on the amazon review.

mtbr member
    I had a tough time getting the lowest position for the first few rides, then I think the spring wore in some and all three are pretty easy to get.

mtbr member
    Thanks for this thread. I'm considering a dropper, and it seems to me that the other well known brands going for $300 - $400 are way overpriced. After all, they are all mass produced, and as johnbike81 mentioned, they too seem to have their problems.
    I call him free who is led solely by reason. (Baruch Spinoza)

mtbr member
    I see that the post dia is 31.6. My post is 30.9, so this won't work for my bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You could shim the 27.2. I just had my first ride and it works as a advertised. infinite adjust would be nice, but not another $200 nice. The post seems to be solid so far, and if it holds up would be far and away the best value dropper!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick2cents View Post
    You could shim the 27.2
    Thanks. I see that they offer a 27.2 in 350 and 425 lengths; how would I determine the right size for me & my bike?

Me: 5'6" ~30.5" inseam.

Bike: Medium 2013 Stumpy Comp.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Just got done doing a quick 5 mile ride. The post seems to work pretty well. Im now having no trouble with the lowest and mid position. As for the top, I'm having a bit more trouble. I finding that I have to lift it w my thighs that last bit to get it to engage. Overall for $85 I'm happy. As for shimming the 27.2. That's what I did to fit my 30.0, works fine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Origin8 Ultim8 Adjustable Seatpost Review-uploadfromtaptalk1382722664424.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013

Figured why it was not hitting the top position, user error. I did not screw the Allen bolt in tight enough when I took it apart to remove the plastic sleeve

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Measure your current seat post and you should get an idea. I think the longer one (what I have) requires around 7" outside the seat tube. Measure how much seatpost you have showing when you have the seat at a good pedaling height. if you have 7"+ showing, you should be fine with the longer one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick2cents View Post
    Measure your current seat post and you should get an idea. I think the longer one (what I have) requires around 7" outside the seat tube. Measure how much seatpost you have showing when you have the seat at a good pedaling height. if you have 7"+ showing, you should be fine with the longer one.
    Ok, but where does one measure to? From the top of the collar to the seat rails, or top of seat......or?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    From the top of the collar to where the post ends (ie where it is no longer round, the point where, if you tried to slam the seat all the way down, it would stop).

edit: I re-measured, it's actually 7" from collar to rails.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast