mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Orbea Rallon or Knolly Fugitive LT

What's up guys!

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a full sus and while there are still a few dark horses these two bikes are the main contenders. Any input from experience with either one, bike or company, is greatly appreciated along with a general opinion as well.

My local trails are rolling southern Ohio singletrack, but believe it or not there is some elevation to be found here along with a heavy dose of punchy techy climbs and rocky rooted out decents. On top of that I do plan to travel to WVA and Virginia along with western NC.

Basically I need a solid all arounder and I'm playing with a budget of around 5k. FWIW, on my local trails I see a lot of 130-160 bikes.

TIA,

Jason

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I think the Fugitive is more of an all round bike than the Rallon. Two shock length options, 140-160 fork, and slack and steep settings make is pretty versatile. The Rallon has pretty short reach as well, and that alone would keep me away.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The Rallon has pretty short reach as well, and that alone would keep me away.
    I think that's more a matter of fit/sizing and Orbea's approach on the Rallon is unconventional. For me this works out quite well as I'd be between the L & XL on the Fugitive with XL just being to be big where the XL Rallon is right between. So with that the Rallon actually has a longer reach for guys in the 6' to 6'2" range by 8mm's.

I've not ridden a Fugitive but own a Rallon and it's amazing. I have ridden an Endo and a Wardon. I liked the endo a LOT but couldn't imagine pedaling the Wardon around all day on a 30+ mile'r. I'd describe Knolly's as very active. If you have chunky terrain Knolly tracks about as good as it gets. I'd put split pivot as a more supportive platform somewhere between horst and mini/twin link bikes.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The Fugitive pedals better than previous Knollys, I haven't got the shock tuned very well yet, but no complaints so far.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I have an occam, and I love it beyond words.

I didnt try the rallon, and im sure its great (the reviews seem to back that), but dont overlook the occam either! Its right at home with a 160mm fork if you want to go that way, or it works well at 140. Im blown away every time I ride it, and its such a light frame that light builds are easy.
    WTB: Small aluminum hardtail 26 or 27.5 frame. Pm me!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I just rode my pals new Occam. It has 10 mm more travel than my bike so I think it's a 'big' bike. Great bike, fast and smooth, but I'd like to ride the Knolly before recomending either one.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The only thing there is press fit. I wanna stick with threaded.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I'd describe Knolly's as very active. I'd put split pivot as a more supportive platform somewhere between horst and mini/twin link bikes.
    Sorry, but just to make sure I follow... Horst being the most efficient?

Also at 5'10.5" with a 33" inseam it seems the fit for me on a L would be dialed on the Rallon.

Based on all the reviews I've read the Rallon seems to be a stellar all around LT 29er. Seems like you'd agree with that! What type of terrain do you typically ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonryen View Post
    The only thing there is press fit. I wanna stick with threaded.
    I felt the same way, but bought it anyway.

I dont see the concern honestly. I tossed in an angular contact enduro BB, and it just plain works. No way would I turn down a good bike over the bb interface.
    WTB: Small aluminum hardtail 26 or 27.5 frame. Pm me!

mtbr member
    Sorry, but just to make sure I follow... Horst being the most efficient?
    We could bog down this thread with pages and pages of suspension dynamics and there is a lot of variability in execution using the same design. I'll say split pivot strikes a really nice balance between being supportive while remaining active. The action on the Rallon is my favorite to date...it's really hard to find fault with it anywhere. Firm pedaling while still tracking well under power, ZERO wallow anywhere ever, takes big and consecutive hits well, very neutral braking. It's the first bike for me to go all season with no squeaks or chirps and no pivot bolts coming loose. Undoubtedly uped my game and is such a precise fun ride. I ride mainly in the PNW with maybe 2 weeks of vaca riding in the 4 corners area.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The Fugitive pedals better than previous Knollys, I haven't got the shock tuned very well yet, but no complaints so far.

I read they put more anti-squat into the mix for the Fug. True? I was a bit disappointed to hear that as it might have an adverse effect on pedaling through the chunk. The Endo was very low AS numbers and I find it to be great at climbing real mtb trails. Then again, there is a whole lot more to how suspension behaves than just AS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The action on the Rallon is my favorite to date...it's really hard to find fault with it anywhere. Firm pedaling while still tracking well under power, ZERO wallow anywhere ever, takes big and consecutive hits well, very neutral braking. It's the first bike for me to go all season with no squeaks or chirps and no pivot bolts coming loose. Undoubtedly uped my game and is such a precise fun ride.
    Thanks for the input! Good info and glad to get a confirm on the quality Orbea is currently putting out. Seems like one couldn't go wrong on this bike but there's one last detail, which leads to my next post...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I read they put more anti-squat into the mix for the Fug. True? I was a bit disappointed to hear that as it might have an adverse effect on pedaling through the chunk. The Endo was very low AS numbers and I find it to be great at climbing real mtb trails. Then again, there is a whole lot more to how suspension behaves than just AS.
    Glad to see you chime in Miker J! I was digging your perspective in the overbiked thread. That's been maybe the only concern of mine with the Rallon. It ticks every box, but I'm coming off a HT(an Orbea so I've got some brand loyalty and other than somes scratches and dings that were my fault that thing has been solid!) and I love rippin up our local single track here in southern Ohio.

Being Ohio there's no extreme gnar or miles of descending but on the same token no fire road climbs either. All the climbs are pretty much single track and some can be really punchy with tech, or have tech sections mixed in with smooth single track. Add to that all the terrain is rolling so I want something that pedals well. I see Intense Tracers and Bronsons on these same trails so people are getting around on LT bikes just fine, but...

I love letting it rip on the descents we do have and blasting through whatever rutted rooted rocky chunk is in front on me, HT be damned! Don't wanna lose that feeling if you feel me and also want some squish for drops and jumps, plus a bike that's capable of hitting more legit terrain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Knolly Fugitive 29'' 2019 - Linkage Design

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Excellent, thanks.

Assuming those graphs are accurate, the Fug's AS and LR/curve appears to be in keeping with their other bikes. And in my opinion that is a darn good thing.

I sure wish the Fug was available with a CC IL coil in the 120 travel mode.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I'd describe Knolly's as very active.
    Is there a disadvantage to this?

mtbr member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK5vzSgHXag

Keep on Rockin...
    Yes, it means you will be able to ride your bike longer on real mountain bike trails, then come home late, and get scolded by your wife.