mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Orange Alpine 160 - anyone got one?

Thinking of treating myself to a new bike, has anyone got the new Alpine 160 and what were you riding previously?

mtbr member
    They did a good review of the 160 in the last edition of MBR magazine... Without looking it up (coz I'm lazy), I think it got 9 out of 10...They really liked it : )

mtbr member
    Iíve tried one, itís one of the best 160mm travel bikes Iíve ever ridden but I think Mbr got that review spot on because Iíd rather have a Lapierre Spicy as itís a better climber and more comfortable for all day riding whereas the Alpine 160 tends to just plough through stuff and gets pretty laborious on the climbs(by comparison to a bike that's pretty amazing on the climbs for 160mm travel and is quite a bit lighter), the Alpine 160 a great bike though.

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    I've always hated Orange bikes but i like the look of the 09s,the 160 is one that caught my eye

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Ibbo - I have had the same thoughts as you, tested the 5 and the Commencal meta 5.5.1 when I bought my last bike. Ended up getting the meta, I always thought the 5's looked a bit agricultural.

We're from the same area and I ride in the Peak District every week and after nearly 2 years on the meta I think the 160 will be a better ride.

I love some of the fast rocky descents and know the 160 will make them faster but I'm concerned about the extra weight. That said we only ride for half a day.

Just looking for someone that has one and can tell me what they think after a few weeks riding their normal trails comparing it to their last ride.

I have also been looking at the Spicy, but the prices are going through the roof and the mag review gives me the impression it will be very similar to the meta going down (tricky suspension set up, still having to pick lines and not plush over the rocky stuff)

Thanks for your thoughts guys

mtbr member
    hopefully somebody will report some experiences....I really like the new the alpine, especially the the steep seatangle combined with a slack headangle seams very interesting to me...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    thought about it, but when i enquired with Orange, they didn't reply and i gave up...
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

http://www.mtbcut.tv

mtbr member
    Setting up the suspension on the Spicy is very easy top get right, it even has a sag indicator built in. I assume when you say ďsimilar to the metaĒ that you are referring to the Meta 5 you have and not the Meta 6 which the Spicy was tested against, if youíre talking about your Meta 5 then there is no chance of you having to pick your lines and getting anything less than a magic carpet ride from the Spicy. I suggest you go try the Alpine 160 and Spicy for yourself if you can.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    ive done 25 mile all day rides in the peaks on my coil sprung Alpine 160. I didnt find it a problem on the climbs (rocky climb up to the roman road and hope cross in the derwent valley was no problem). Also went round the whole Dalby red route in 2h 30mins on it without really feeling too knackered.

Maybe you just need to get fitter? Its handled everything ive done with it so far, from Hamsterly DH course to local woods to all day rides in the peaks. Couldn't be happier really. I think the Spicy looks great too, but its a QR rear end has alot of pivots, you'd probably be happy with either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by niknak
    Maybe you just need to get fitter?
    Just an observation of which does what better, over a year riding Giantís has given me a lack of appreciation for bikes with a descending bias.

mtbr member
    I would definately go for it, good reviews for a boutique, handmade bike. I think there's no going wrong here.

About the extra weight, you'll just need to make up with momentum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    how is it compare with intense tracer vp? which one is easier to ride?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Tracer VP

I cant add anything to the thread on the Orange ride but it would have to be one hell of a bike to surpass the Tracer VP. The bonus if you like is that with the Tracer you can set the rear travel 5.5/6" and this alters the HA giving a corresponding change in handling. Ive built my Tracer for hard AM riding as our regular loop takes in the local DH course and it tips the scales at mid 13kg. Singletrack also gave the tracer the tick with the Editors choice last year and Mountainbiking UK reviewed it in Jans issue this year.

All up just get out and beg or bowwor a ride on these bikes and make an informed decision.