Thread: opus bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

opus bikes

Was at my LBS today, and saw some Opus bikes, specifically the Clutch 1. Looks like a really nice bike, but ive never really heard of opus. Anyone know anything about them? Good brand?

Not really interested in buying since Im looking into a santa cruz butcher atm, but just thought id ask

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My honey has one it's a great bike she loves it uses it as a do everything bike from xc to all mountain to downhill. I love how light it is, it's fun wish i had one to replace my xc bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    this is the bike im talking about

http://www.opusbike.com/en/bikes_6_18-18-clutch.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Until recently Opus wasnt known for mountain boikes, they have a strong following in the roadbike crowd though. they are boutique Canadian manufacturer of some really nice stuff!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by was98strat
    Until recently Opus wasnt known for mountain boikes, they have a strong following in the roadbike crowd though. they are boutique Canadian manufacturer of some really nice stuff!
    Boutique maybe for road bikes. Their mountain bikes frames appear to be just catalog frames from Astro Engineering.

Look familiar?

mtbr member
    I happen to know the people who design the Opus mountain bikes. I have been on rides with them where they were riding prototypes they designed. They really put in a lot of saddle time before deciding what the final product will be. Their road bikes are popular here, and the mountain bikes are being raced by local teams north of the border. I mostly ride SS now and I wanted a SS specific bike, which they don't make right now. Otherwise, I'd be riding an Opus.

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko G

That bike looks sweet! I really like the green.

-Brett

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz
    I happen to know the people who design the Opus mountain bikes. I have been on rides with them where they were riding prototypes they designed. They really put in a lot of saddle time before deciding what the final product will be. Their road bikes are popular here, and the mountain bikes are being raced by local teams north of the border. I mostly ride SS now and I wanted a SS specific bike, which they don't make right now. Otherwise, I'd be riding an Opus.

Johnnydrz
    nelson = affrb, clutch = afamh, stalka = afxcd. nothing wrong with using catalog frames though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    nelson = affrb, clutch = afamh, stalka = afxcd. nothing wrong with using catalog frames though.
    thats what I was thinking... is it really a big deal to use catalogue frames? Why does everyone on here look down upon it?

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko G
    thats what I was thinking... is it really a big deal to use catalogue frames? Why does everyone on here look down upon it?
    i dont think so. pretty much all bikes come from the same two factories anyways. i guess a catalogue bike has less "prestige" than a bike designed in house. also i think some take issue with the blatent copies that get produced.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've been riding a 2009 Maadh this season as my trail bike. It's the precursor to the Clutch. It was quite well spec'd for the price and it seems quite well-made. I'm putting it up for sale as its geometry is a little too XC-ish and the frame a little slight for my tastes . The 69 degree HA is great for climbing but makes the bike a little skittish on technical descents, which we have in spades around here. I rode a Clutch and was going to buy one but I was a bit short on cash last spring and I got the Maadh on a really good closeout sale. The geometry of the Clutch is the same as the Maadh according to Opus, except for the 2011 Clutch 1 which is a degree slacker in the HA. Not sure what the other geo changes are. I found the Maadh to be excellent on less tech trails and great for tech climbing but just a little sketchy going down things.

I wasn't aware that they were catalog frames, but I don't think it matters a row of beans.