mtbr member

Opinions and thoughts needed.

Okay, I have been plotting a long travel hard tail build for awhile now but am curious to hear what the more experience AM/HT riders have to say about the build I've planned. Budget really isn't a huge issue here as it's going to be done over the span of a few months.

Frame: On-one 456 EVO (steel) I chose this frame due to the fact my ss Inbred has been put through hell and is still riding like a champ

Fork: Fox 32 Float 140mm

Wheels: Shimano XT M788

Groupset: Full Shimano Zee 10 speed with an 11-36t, Blackspire stinger guide, and an e thirteen bashguard.

Tires: 2.5 WTB prowlers

Brakes: Shimano Zee hydros with 203mm front and 180mm rear rotors

Seatpost/stem/bars: Truvativ Husselfelt (stem is 40mm 0 degree)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Zee brakes are ludicrously powerful, you likely won't need 203/180mm rotors unless you're a big guy and riding lots of long steep downhills. I run a 180/160mm Saint front & Zee rear on my hardtail, even without the Ice-tech pads & rotors the brakes are barely warm after a ~700' DH run (mind you I only weigh 150 lbs). I'd say grab the RT-99 Ice-tech ultimate rotors when they become available in 180 & 160mm sizes, it should be more than enough for almost everyone.

Fork, I would go with the Manitou Minute Expert over the Fox since I have a strong dislike for CTD. I have the Minute Pro on my bike but I can't recommend it since setup can sometimes be a complete pain in the ass. The Minute Expert is a bit heavier but has the exact same damper and adjustments without the potential setup headaches, it's highly adjustable and the performance is as good or better than any Fox fork I've ridden.

I don't have any experience with those wheels & tires, and seatposts, stems, and bars are more often than not personal preferences.

mtbr member
    Well the two areas i was picking those brakes for have ridiculous downhill spots. First is the Mt. Saint Eagle area in eastern TN and the other is the ORV park in Hot Springs AR. I agree that the rotors may be overkill but I walk around at 245lbs that doesn't include my gear. Does the Expert come in a non tapered variation? The 456 is a straight 1 1/8'' (1.125'') headtube.

mtbr member
    I figure its better to have more brake and not need it... until you do need it lol.

At 245 I would also recommend staying away from 32mm forks. Especially for the riding it sounds like you plan on doing. A Pike wouldn't be too far off the price of a Fox, no? Or go bigger. At 245, a pound or 2 wont be the end all be all, and I think the positives of a burlier fork outweigh the weight penalty, no pun intended haha.

I ride a 456 Evo2, and a smaller rear tire might not be a bad idea. I weigh 200 w/o gear and I can get some rubbage with 2.4 Chunky Monkeys here and there. Other than that, steel rides so nice

mtbr member
    Weight really wasn't a huge concern with this build. I'm saving that for the sub 19lbs rigid cross bike i'm working on. I'm fairly new to the idea of suspension since i've only owned 1 very low end suspension fork and it got trashed for a rigid within a month. Is Pike the brand? Isn't the next stanchion size 42mm?

mtbr member
    Also i should point out it's 245lbs but i'm just recently out of powerlifting and have been riding single speed for just over a year now so i'm VERY hard on my bikes...like on my third set of old school Deora Hollowtechs because i managed to warp them from mashing.

mtbr member
    Okay, so the Rock Shox Pike is out as it only comes in a tapered steerer. I'm leaning towards the Manitou for the time being until someone comes up with a different options as i'm lost when it comes to forks like that. If rigid didn't beat me to death on those trails and i didn't already have a full steel rigid bike i'd just go that route

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    At 245 lbs that completely changes things, especially since you're planning to ride what sounds like some pretty serious downhills. In that case 203/180mm rotors would be quite appropriate.

Also have to agree that bigger stronger forks would be a good idea, unfortunately no one seems to make such a fork in a straight 1 1/8 steertube, they've all gone to tapered these days. You're likely going to end up with creaking or beat up fork in a fairly short order if you go with 32mm stanchions and a 1 1/8 steertube, which unfortunately is all that will fit into the 456 Evo frame.

I'd consider a frame such as the Cotic BFe that can take a tapered steerer along with a bigger stronger fork like the Manitou Mattoc.

mtbr member
    I know X-Fusion has the 34mm Slant and the larger Vengeance in 1-1/8, Suntour Durolux is another option which seems to be gaining some halfway decent reviews. Marzocchi 55's can also be found in 1-1/8, but the selection of burly forks is limited when shopping around for 1-1/8 steerers

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Get a frame that can take a tapered fork and takes a 30.9 or 31.6mm seatpost (so you can run a 5-6" dropper seatpost).
    Tapered steerer tube forks are noticeably stiffer, and also noticeably less prone to creaky headsets.

mtbr member
    FM i've never had any luck with droppers.... let me rephrase that i had enough bad luck with them that i don't want them again. I'm so used to standing up to power and i just leave my seat a tad lower than "recommended" so i can slide off the back for down hills or grip the seat with my thighs for some english. As for the tapered headset i'm looking at other frames now but it seems hard to beat the price and quality of the 456.

mtbr member
    I'm leaning towards the Ragley Marley or the Ragley Blue Pig. Both have a lower pricepoint and have geo that suits my frankenstein body. Anybody heard anything bad about either or have something comparable to them? A perk i see is the ability to run ANY steerer tube just swap out the headset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosCelt View Post
    Also i should point out it's 245lbs but i'm just recently out of powerlifting and have been riding single speed for just over a year now so i'm VERY hard on my bikes...like on my third set of old school Deora Hollowtechs because i managed to warp them from mashing.
    haha, YES! thats awesome.

so youre comfortable on a HT? Im having a hard time imagining how 245lbs of former power lifter can comfortably ride a hardtail down real DH tracks.

you pretty much need the burliest stuff to ride DH..like would be awesome to have full zee build and definitely a 35 or 36mm stanchion fork

i think if budget permits you should be thinking of burly full suspension bikes. i ride a NS Soda and while Im only 185 w/o gear, I have had enough time on it to know it would support someone your size just fine

mtbr member
    I don't have enough experience with a full squish to be comfortable. As for riding down hill we did a 400'' at a 52 degree grade rock garden in AR. I did that on my rigid ss. I grew up riding and racing rigid so i just toss my ass over the rear wheel and pick a line and hope i don't die. I've taken some pretty big drops rigid and the few times i did it on a FS i felt like i was going to get thrown off when the shocks recoiled (keep in mind i know NOTHING on how to ride or set up a FS).

mtbr member
    And unless i managed to snag a late model NOS closeout from work i don't think i can handle the cost of a FS, nor do i have the knowledge to know how to build or set it up.