Thread: Opinion please?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Opinion please?

Hi I'm kind of a newbie here, and to mountain biking, but I love it. I chose to write a research paper on it for my engineering class. More specifically, I'm going to design the ideal mountain bike for people less that 5 and a half feet tall. I some resources and opinions on what components make up the ideal mountain bike. So, what components do you think make the best bike? Meaning hard tail, brakes, tires, lightweight frames, etc. Links to other sites that could give me some info are also much appreciated thanks!

mtbr member
    Giant Reign 0 2013 frame, all with XX1 components and X0 brakes, Maxxis Minion DHR 26", Rockshox Pike RCT3 150mm and Monarch Plus RC3 on the rear, Rockshox Reverb dropper seatpost, that's pretty much my dream bike, and it would come just under 30 lbs, hope this helps
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

mtbr member
    ill take a carbon Santa Cruz Nomad with XTR components, Fox Talas 36 160mm fork, High Roller 2 2.35 tires, Easton carbon bars, Thomson stem, Reverb dropper post, and DT wheels
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Elitest thrill junkie
    Little tiny ones, like 140mm disc brakes, 165mm cranks, 480mm handlebars, 1.8" tires, 24" wheels.

Ok, 5 and a half feet tall is fairly average and nothing special is needed. Not sure what your design criteria is, lots of bikes are already like this, even 29ers work fine for that height.

Now, if you're talking less than 5 feet tall, then we might have some necessary differences.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    unfortunately there is no ideal mountain bike. different bikes do different things better. But I can say there is are alot of engineering principles that go into many of the different parts. but you might have to narrow it down. for instance the evolution of the rear suspension has tons of research and theory and application. or the evolution of valving in front fork. dampening oils, adjustments, spring types. maybe the effectiveness of different geometries for different applications. or even tire design, their are tons of compounds and knob designs. beads and tpi casing type application. you would be surprised at the mounds of evolution in these parts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    2013 Specialized SE if you're talking REALLY beginner bike. I have one I ride around town and the logging roads, and it takes two foot drops without much issue. I think it's a 15in frame and it rides beautiful on smoothish stuff. Possibly the most comfortable (if not capable) bike I've ever ridden. I'm 5'5" and 120lb. Hope it helps!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingmetalrock View Post
    Hi I'm kind of a newbie here, and to mountain biking, but I love it. I chose to write a research paper on it for my engineering class. More specifically, I'm going to design the ideal mountain bike for people less that 5 and a half feet tall. I some resources and opinions on what components make up the ideal mountain bike. So, what components do you think make the best bike? Meaning hard tail, brakes, tires, lightweight frames, etc. Links to other sites that could give me some info are also much appreciated thanks!
    Go mountain biking and feel what it's like to ride.

You won't really have any idea otherwise by asking forums on the Internet. There's also the frame design forum here, which is probably a better place to ask that question.
    Bike and Frame discussion

Components are all a personal thing, same with:
    - Hardtail vs full suspension
    - Saddle
    - Wheel size (don't ask that)
    - Shimano vs SRAM
    - Single speed vs geared
    - Type of tire
    - Clipless vs flats
    - Type of suspension (Four bar vs. DW link vs single pivot vs split pivot), although one might make a difference for suspension design for a full suspension frame.

5'6" is 5 and a half feet tall. That fits most medium size frames and no one will be impressed.

If you're talking about a full suspension bike for someone either 4'6" tall or 6'6" tall, then you'll have a better project. Most mountain bikes are designed ideally around a medium frame with someone who is 5'6" - 5'10".

Fitting someone who is short and someone who is tall both have problems, but on opposite ends of the spectrum.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women