Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Only 100 miles on Mavic Crossline wheels and already bad freehub...now a new wheelset

I have a 2010 Intense Uzzi. I don't ride downhill but do ride intense single tracks with very rocky terrain. I bought my entire bike new 2 months ago and already my freehub on my Mavic Crosslines have gone to crap. it's $100 to replace. And the guy told me most likely the way I ride I will be replacing my freehub quite often. Now I am thinking of just getting Chris King or Industry Nine wheelsets.

I would like to here people opinions. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sounds like you already know the answer.
    CK or I9.

\thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    gotta at least consider a Hadley
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I keep hearing about people always having to tighten/adjust the CK's. Also around how long do bearings last in I9 of CK hubs...I don't ride in water or mud.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Do you have bushings in your mavic rear hub? I'm assuming so, they are worthless. I have 2.5 years of frequent riding on my 09 crossmax sx and my hubs are still in perfect working order. In 09 for the sx they did away with their bushing system, then went back to it in 2010 I think? I don't know about the crossline, but since it's entry level I'm guessing they are using cheap bushings.

I've owned both king and i9. Here's my opinion: king customer service is better, their ring drive system is bomb proof, quality doesn't get any better. i9: engagement is top notch, I didn't have any issues but I've heard of guys wearing out bearings fast, they attach the pawls with tiny allen bolts that are hard to deal with. The king hub was easier for me to service. Can't go wrong with either, but all things equal, I would go king.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieG View Post
    I keep hearing about people always having to tighten/adjust the CK's.seldom true Also around how long do bearings last in I9 of CK hubs...I don't ride in water or mud.
    I9 bearings are shortlived
    CK bearings are longlived
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    There are some other good options that aren't quite so expensive as CK or I9. They are not as bling as the previous two but worthy of a look. DT Swiss makes a good reliable wheelsets, Fulcrum Red Zones are also quite good, I've ridden a set this whole past year and love them, Hope makes a good reliable Hub as well, even the Shimano XT wheels are better than some of the Mavic freehubs. Easton makes good wheels but has some issues with the freehubs loosening up too.

If the I9 and CK are the only one's you'll consider then you won't be happy with anything else. If you are willing to look other places some of these other options are really good wheels and save you a few $$ to upgrade something else.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    I keep hearing about people always having to tighten/adjust the CK's. Also around how long do bearings last in I9 of CK hubs...I don't ride in water or mud.
    Sometimes you do have to tighten CK's or other wheels with a similar ring lock on the out side of the hub. Its not a design flaw rather genius in allowing your to account for play in the bearings. You just loosen the allen on the ring lock and slide it in till the play is gone and tighten it back up. My Fulcrum's have the same system and its great. Several of my buddy's have CK's and maybe once or twice a year they have to tighten them. In other wheels like the Mavics or my old DT Swiss once you get play you replace the bearings, there's no adjustment. The difference is my DT Swiss went 9 years before play developed in the rear hub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    Did you have a bad experience with I9's? A couple of guys I know have them and love them. One guy in particular rode the Leadville 100 this year in 8:36 on them. He had two sets, one for racing and one for training. He races and trains regularly probably hitting 10,000 miles a year without issue. That's a lot of miles on any hub.

Ow!
    First of all, I recommend to search through the Wheels forum (if you haven't already). Most good info about hubs and rims is there.

I assume your front wheel is fine. If building a new rear, Hadley or King would be the best choices (maybe I9, but I don't have any experience with them). Hadley is less expensive and as durable as King. If a bearing wears out (and they do occasionally), they are easy to find and replace. King bearings, on the other hand, are superior and easy to maintain. My king hubs require a little adjustment at first when new or overhauled, but nothing after the first 30 miles or so.

And why would it cost you $100 to replace the Mavic freehub? You bought it new 2 months ago, I would assume those wheels are still under some warranty. If so, warranty them, and keep as backup (even high-end wheels can be trashed by a crash). Also, is it the entire freehub that has gone bad, or just one of the pawls. I have a Crosstrail that I had to replace a pawl, and it is now working as well as before.

mtbr member
    I'd take a look at DT Swiss hubs too.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Adjusting the King's takes 5-10 minutes and a very basic set of tool (mostly a 5mm allen wrench). They'll need to be adjusted once after you break them in (500-1000 miles) and then again every few years. When they get loud they also need to be have a thin lube applied to the ring drive system. This also requires two 5mm allen wrenches and take about 10 minutes - I do this every few years. The lube is a little pricey when you first buy it but will last you a long long time.

I don't know how long the bearings last in CK, but I've not replaced any in many years of riding. I've not owned I9 wheels, so I can't compare. Shimano (which uses cup and cone bearings) last a long time as well but are a little more work to service.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    Did you have a bad experience with I9's? A couple of guys I know have them and love them. One guy in particular rode the Leadville 100 this year in 8:36 on them. He had two sets, one for racing and one for training. He races and trains regularly probably hitting 10,000 miles a year without issue. That's a lot of miles on any hub.
    never owned either, but i'm 100% aware of a friend's experience w/ both & keep up on what info you can get here. my comment was more based on my friend's I9 bearings going out waytoo soon & CK's never. he ran CK on 3 bikes until switching 1 over to I9 & very rarely adjusted the preload after breakin.

i ride Hadley & would only consider I9 for the POE, but i'm satisfied w/ 72. the cost to upgrade wouldn't be worth it unless my Hadley wheel was stolen
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    First of all, I recommend to search through the Wheels forum (if you haven't already). Most good info about hubs and rims is there.

I assume your front wheel is fine. If building a new rear, Hadley or King would be the best choices (maybe I9, but I don't have any experience with them). Hadley is less expensive and as durable as King. If a bearing wears out (and they do occasionally), they are easy to find and replace. King bearings, on the other hand, are superior and easy to maintain. My king hubs require a little adjustment at first when new or overhauled, but nothing after the first 30 miles or so.

And why would it cost you $100 to replace the Mavic freehub? You bought it new 2 months ago, I would assume those wheels are still under some warranty. If so, warranty them, and keep as backup (even high-end wheels can be trashed by a crash). Also, is it the entire freehub that has gone bad, or just one of the pawls. I have a Crosstrail that I had to replace a pawl, and it is now working as well as before.

I know! I told them it should be under warranty. Personally I feel that the mechanic is somewhat missing something. Maybe hasn't check it out completely yet. Mavic is closed until the 1st or 2nd, not sure. I have a four day weekend, but no riding for me

mtbr member
    I'm lucky enough to have both I9 and CK wheelsets. If I had to pick again, I'd probably go w/ CK.

I like their ring drive mechanism better, and the fun bolt setup is more secure than the I9 bolt on rear.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Oh yeah, Hadley too.

I've got a set of CK with funbolts and a set of Hadley with a thru-axle. Love them both, wouldn't go with anything else, but I9 are supposedly of the same caliber.

mtbr member
    CK will keep crap out of the hubs slightly better. I haven't had to re-tension mine after they settled in.

Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    There is some truth behind it, BUT, the bearings in my I9s have been fine. If I had to replace the bearings, they are relatively cheap, and easy to swap out.

Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    I'd take a look at DT Swiss hubs too.
    I had a set of 240s. While light and reliable, I wasn't too thrilled with their engagement. 18 POE is crap, and the 36 POE upgrade isn't that reliable. Some people are stripping the teeth off the 36 POE rachet because they are MUCH finer.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You hear mixed reviews for bearing life.

CO is mostly dry trails. I used to live in Asheville NC where i9 is based, and have been in CO for a few years now. Bearing life across the board has been MUCH better for me here in CO. That said, I had zero issues out of my i9 bearings here in CO, I don't know what my experience would have been in a wet environment?

I've had hubs and BB's seize up on me in NC. Water is your bikes worst enemy. I avoid washing my bike now because I've seen just how much longer everything lasts now that my bike sees little water.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    You hear mixed reviews for bearing life.

CO is mostly dry trails. I used to live in Asheville NC where i9 is based, and have been in CO for a few years now. Bearing life across the board has been MUCH better for me here in CO. That said, I had zero issues out of my i9 bearings here in CO, I don't know what my experience would have been in a wet environment?

I've had hubs and BB's seize up on me in NC. Water is your bikes worst enemy. I avoid washing my bike now because I've seen just how much longer everything lasts now that my bike sees little water.
    I lived in Germany for 15 years and its pretty wet there as well. Pretty much had to ride in the rain or you didn't ride so I totally get seized bearings in BB, pivots, hubs, etc. Wears out your drive train and cables too. I never looked into I9's because of the price so I haven't done any research on them. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So I stopped at my LBS where I bought my bike and they explained better what the problem was. They used a magnifying glass and showed that where the paws sit in the freehub has developed a crack from too much toque or possible hitting a few drops while being in a loaded gear. They are under warranty and most likely will replace it. My LBS also said if it happens again that Mavic will probably warranty a refund and I can upgrade to a higher-end set of wheels. So just waiting to hear next week what will happen.

mtbr member
    So I stopped at my LBS where I bought my bike and they explained better what the problem was. They used a magnifying glass and showed that where the paws sit in the freehub has developed a crack from too much toque or possible hitting a few drops while being in a loaded gear. They are under warranty and most likely will replace it. My LBS also said if it happens again that Mavic will probably warranty a refund and I can upgrade to a higher-end set of wheels. So just waiting to hear next week what will happen.
    I would ask to upgrade to the SX if you can. No point going back to a set that is likely to fail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The SX is a good wheel? Sorry but Right now I have a sour taste with Mavic. And for $900 or whatever I could have many options, I9, Hadley, Chris King, etc.

mtbr member
    Way to got for your LBS! I am glad you're not out of a wheel set and cash. Let us know how it works out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Way to got for your LBS! I am glad you're not out of a wheel set and cash. Let us know how it works out.
    HAHA thanks. I will for sure keep everyone updated. Maybe I can get some pictures of the freehub to show the damage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There are some nice used wheelsets in the classifieds. Hadley on Mavic rims, King on Stans, just to show a few deals. I like both Hadley and King. I'd stay away from Mavic if I had the choice.

Chris King Stans Flow 29er Wheelset 20mm Front - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Garage Sale. Wheels, Fork, Shocks, Drivetrain - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast