Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Only 100 miles on Mavic Crossline wheels and already bad freehub...now a new wheelset

3K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  ScottieG 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 Intense Uzzi. I don't ride downhill but do ride intense single tracks with very rocky terrain. I bought my entire bike new 2 months ago and already my freehub on my Mavic Crosslines have gone to crap. it's $100 to replace. And the guy told me most likely the way I ride I will be replacing my freehub quite often. Now I am thinking of just getting Chris King or Industry Nine wheelsets.

I would like to here people opinions. Thanks

#5 ·
Do you have bushings in your mavic rear hub? I'm assuming so, they are worthless. I have 2.5 years of frequent riding on my 09 crossmax sx and my hubs are still in perfect working order. In 09 for the sx they did away with their bushing system, then went back to it in 2010 I think? I don't know about the crossline, but since it's entry level I'm guessing they are using cheap bushings.

I've owned both king and i9. Here's my opinion: king customer service is better, their ring drive system is bomb proof, quality doesn't get any better. i9: engagement is top notch, I didn't have any issues but I've heard of guys wearing out bearings fast, they attach the pawls with tiny allen bolts that are hard to deal with. The king hub was easier for me to service. Can't go wrong with either, but all things equal, I would go king.

#7 ·
There are some other good options that aren't quite so expensive as CK or I9. They are not as bling as the previous two but worthy of a look. DT Swiss makes a good reliable wheelsets, Fulcrum Red Zones are also quite good, I've ridden a set this whole past year and love them, Hope makes a good reliable Hub as well, even the Shimano XT wheels are better than some of the Mavic freehubs. Easton makes good wheels but has some issues with the freehubs loosening up too.

If the I9 and CK are the only one's you'll consider then you won't be happy with anything else. If you are willing to look other places some of these other options are really good wheels and save you a few $$ to upgrade something else.

#10 ·
First of all, I recommend to search through the Wheels forum (if you haven't already). Most good info about hubs and rims is there.

I assume your front wheel is fine. If building a new rear, Hadley or King would be the best choices (maybe I9, but I don't have any experience with them). Hadley is less expensive and as durable as King. If a bearing wears out (and they do occasionally), they are easy to find and replace. King bearings, on the other hand, are superior and easy to maintain. My king hubs require a little adjustment at first when new or overhauled, but nothing after the first 30 miles or so.

And why would it cost you $100 to replace the Mavic freehub? You bought it new 2 months ago, I would assume those wheels are still under some warranty. If so, warranty them, and keep as backup (even high-end wheels can be trashed by a crash). Also, is it the entire freehub that has gone bad, or just one of the pawls. I have a Crosstrail that I had to replace a pawl, and it is now working as well as before.

#14 ·
I know! I told them it should be under warranty. Personally I feel that the mechanic is somewhat missing something. Maybe hasn't check it out completely yet. Mavic is closed until the 1st or 2nd, not sure. I have a four day weekend, but no riding for me:sad:

#20 ·
So I stopped at my LBS where I bought my bike and they explained better what the problem was. They used a magnifying glass and showed that where the paws sit in the freehub has developed a crack from too much toque or possible hitting a few drops while being in a loaded gear. They are under warranty and most likely will replace it. My LBS also said if it happens again that Mavic will probably warranty a refund and I can upgrade to a higher-end set of wheels. So just waiting to hear next week what will happen.

#27 ·
If the price is good enough, I'd rock a set of SX. The rims are relatively wide, native UST, and pretty light & stiff for what it is. There is no way I'd pay anywhere close to $900 for it though. If you can upgrade for $400, I'd consider the SX.

Otherwise, consider selling these new Crossline replacement, and do it right this time around.

There are some nice used wheelsets in the classifieds. Hadley on Mavic rims, King on Stans, just to show a few deals. I like both Hadley and King. I'd stay away from Mavic if I had the choice.
I have bought a few sets of used wheels, and they have worked great for me. Just have to be careful and pick the right one to buy :)

#25 ·
#34 ·
I think I am going to Upgrade to CK of I9 at this point. That is if they don't warranty the wheel or if it keeps happening after being warrantied. I am ok spending the premium price now that I realized even $400 wheelset doesn't do the job. In the defense of Mavic maybe it is a bad egg. Better luck with the next one:thumbsup:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.