Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm One-sided SPD clipless pedals?

Hey all -

I'm in the market for a one-sided clip-in pedal and shoe. I saw some guy on a technical trail last weekend who would clip in on the uphills, flip the pedal, and use the platform side on the downhills.

I'd like to try this out. Couldn't find any Shimano-made one-sided SPD pedals but do they exist? Also, any shoes you guys recommend buying with it so that it clips in easily but also tracks well on a platform pedal?

Thx!
    Kevin

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tittiot View Post
    Hey all -

I'm in the market for a one-sided clip-in pedal and shoe. I saw some guy on a technical trail last weekend who would clip in on the uphills, flip the pedal, and use the platform side on the downhills.

I'd like to try this out. Couldn't find any Shimano-made one-sided SPD pedals but do they exist? Also, any shoes you guys recommend buying with it so that it clips in easily but also tracks well on a platform pedal?

Thx!
    Kevin
    Shimano has the pd-m324 for the 1-sided spd. But the other side isn't really a platform. It also doesn't use the mud shedding design. Another alternative is the Forte MTX pedal that Performance carries. It has more platform than the pd-m324, but can't comment on the spd.

~Disc~Golf~
    worst of both worlds
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    worst of both worlds
    I agree.

What a pain worrying about getting the right side of the pedal! I don't know anyone who stuck with this option once they got used to their clip-ins.

Another option is a dual-side clip-in shoe with a platform. This won't give you the stickiness of platform shoes/pedals, but you won't have to hunt for the right side of the pedal. I used one of these when before I was 100% comfortable with my clipless and would unclip for very technical sections. The platform also made it easier to start up on an uphill because the platform allowed me to just start pedalling without worrying about clipping in.

For both of these options, a clipless pedal (or clipless on one side/platform on the other) with clipless shoes won't give you anywhere near the stickiness of a good platform pedal with good platform shoes. Personally, I'd be nervous about doing downhills unclipped with clipless shoes. I'd choose clipping in or platforms with good shoes designed for platforms.

As for shoes, I don't have recommendations, but if your shoes cause problems, you can shave back some of the tread on the bottom that is causing the problem to make problematic shoes easier to clip in. It has worked for me.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    worst of both worlds
    +1

You get to compromise both your ability to clip in and your flat pedal performance. If you would feel more comfortable on the downhills with flat pedals then just ride a good set of flat pedals. I've made the switch and I have yet to say "boy, I sure would like my clipless pedals right now" but when I rode clipless I would frequently wish I had flats for sections of trail.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

T.W.O.
    +1 with highdell elegant words, beside 324 is just terrible for trail riding. Try a530 it's lighter and better than 324 and still just as terrible for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Hey all -

Thx!
    Kevin
    No expert on clipless, in fact first season I have been using them, however, I will recommend using a fully clipless pedal even on downhill runs. It is safer, gives you better control and balance on the bike with less of a chance of your feet being bounced or jerked off of the pedals. They turn out to be a major control factor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I tried the one sided SPD pedals for a ride. They were not so good (sucked). I didn't like guessing which side was up, and it was always the wrong side. I like to ride with double sided SPDs with the tension fairly loose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I modified the shimano pedal so it had a usable platform side. The only time I'd use the platform was for log rides. Now I just use regular spds. I really like the float and being stuck to the bike when things get real rough.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey all -

Thx!
    Kevin
    there is a wellgo pedal, the WAM-D10 i think, that is like that (pins on one side, SPD compatible cleat on the other). i had a pair for a while, but went to full flats shortly thereafter, because clipping into them would give me knee pain.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/142...p=240%20WELD15

i have two friends that have used them w/ no knee problems whatsoever.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

Yes, that's fonetic
    The problem is that SPD compatible shoes are usually hard and stiff, just the opposite of a good grippy flat friendly shoe (i.e. 5.10s) and with the cleat they just won't grip on the platform side since the pins on the hybrid pedals are seriously lacking as compared to a good flat. I go back and forth a lot and miss the float when I'm riding the flats, but they've exponentially improved my jumping skills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My wife switched to Shimano 324s. She has no issues clipping in and out or flipping them over when needed. It helps her confidence in more technical sections on the trail but they're not for weight weenies !!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
    I tried the one sided SPD pedals for a ride. They were not so good (sucked). I didn't like guessing which side was up, and it was always the wrong side. I like to ride with double sided SPDs with the tension fairly loose.
    I went with the Shimano PD-647 since they were the highest rated on the reviews on this site as well as other recommendations I have received from other members. I did agust them to the lowest setting and I love the pedals!

Rick

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    The problem is that SPD compatible shoes are usually hard and stiff, just the opposite of a good grippy flat friendly shoe (i.e. 5.10s) and with the cleat they just won't grip on the platform side since the pins on the hybrid pedals are seriously lacking as compared to a good flat. I go back and forth a lot and miss the float when I'm riding the flats, but they've exponentially improved my jumping skills.
    510 Minnaar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One-sided SPD clipless pedals?-23_408007_1272576822.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    510 Minnaar's ...............NICE !!

mtbr member
    I have been told so in the past and now I really do believe that clipless is safer! You have a better connection to control your bike and pedals, your balance and prevents your feet and crank from flying around.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    +1

You get to compromise both your ability to clip in and your flat pedal performance. If you would feel more comfortable on the downhills with flat pedals then just ride a good set of flat pedals. I've made the switch and I have yet to say "boy, I sure would like my clipless pedals right now" but when I rode clipless I would frequently wish I had flats for sections of trail.
    Totally agree. Go one or the other. Half and half pedals are for commuters that want to wear riding shoes one day and sandals the next. Not good for mountain biking. Pick one or the other. Clips won't hold you back one bit even on gnar DH once you get comfortable. Having said that, I prefer flats for everything. It's all personal preference. Learn both, then decide which you prefer.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    I have been told so in the past and now I really do believe that clipless is safer! You have a better connection to control your bike and pedals, your balance and prevents your feet and crank from flying around.
    I understand what you're saying but there is no basis for calling one pedal safer than another. The vast majority of people feel that platform pedals are safer because you aren't attached the them. It's really just what makes the individual feel better. Personally I would agree with the masses, not being attached to your pedals lends its self to being safer because you can bail if needed. I suspect that anyone who thinks platform pedals cause your feet to bounce off of them just needs a bit of time on a really good platform. And there's lot of little things you learn to keep your feet planted better like heels down while you're coasting through technical sections and toes down when you're catching air. Adding angles to your pedals helps give you a surface that you can control while not just standing on the pedals.

Anyway, not what this thread is about though.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by homeagain View Post
    510 Minnaar's ...............NICE !!

Those are nice. does the cleat extend far enough to interfere with the contact on the flats?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Those are nice. does the cleat extend far enough to interfere with the contact on the flats?
    i had a similar shoe (the 661 filter), and it took some shims and trimming to get the cleat to extend enough to clip in, and allow some float (otherwise, when clipped in, it was like stepping into cement, no float at all). when i used the flat side of my pedal, the pins would grab the sole, and there was little interference from the cleat.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbaSS View Post
    510 Minnaar
    the cleat will still extend out passed the rubber sole making it pretty much useless unclipped.

Team Livemedium
    I use the wellgo wam d10"s for 3 seasons of xc racing and love um. No problems here. not expensive either.

Heck I even beat Lance Armstrong on those. ( Even on his home course), doh!
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    the cleat will still extend out passed the rubber sole making it pretty much useless unclipped.
    Are u speaking from experience? The cleats on my Minnaars do not extend beyond the surface at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    One-sided SPD clipless pedals?-1299513176108-ma3v01ccgdq6-670-80.jpg

Yes, that's fonetic
    That actually looks like the cleat is flush with the rubber, meaning when the pins on the non clip side are sinking into the rubber they're going to be hitting the cleat, hindering hook up, but without a side view it's kind of hard to tell for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast