Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chris Bling

That one bike you wished you never would have sold....

Hey everyone,

I was doing a little reminiscing and was thinking about my past bikes that I sold years ago to "upgrade". Some of which I wish I still had.

What is that bike you sold or got rid of that you wish you still had?

Mine was my 07 Kona Coilair Supreme....I had no other way to get an engagement ring for a girl I was dating. The whole thing nded up falling through so I was out a bike and a girl.

I just recently found a 07 Coiler Deluxe in real good shape and ended up buying it. Should be here this week!!!
    Last edited by dustyduke22; 05-26-2013 at 07:36 PM.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

A God Without A Name
    the last two bikes I sold. in fact. the first was an 07 Scott Voltage. It just had the perfect geometry for a tank/commuter. weighed 44 pounds. but was just a sled.I got ran over on it and still rode it home. sold it to a good friend who put it to DAMN good use. So I cant miss it too much. it makes him happy on a daily basis.

The other was a 92 Rockhopper. Teal and Purple. awesome bike. sold it to a friend and began building it up with new kit. his A/C started on fire and torched the bike down.

the good news is I got a NEW 95 rockhopper recently. so its like I got part of it back. now if I could only find another DJ bike with that geometry. I'd be happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Evil imperial....wish I never let it go.

The Santa cruz blur 4x comes in as another ride I regret selling...both were awesome bikes

A God Without A Name
    ^With the double head tubes? I wish I had the money for that frame when it was still around...

What is up with their site anyways? Its like... all 2008 over there.

bump and grind
    1) Surly Karate Monkey - was a perfect fit, and really fun to ride.
    2) 2008 Turner RFX - the last of its kind, unbreakable, plush and saved me from disaster countless times. Its still with a friend. I may just get it back.
    SCB Nomad, SCB 5010v2, Turner RFX, Voodoo D-jab 650B, Voodoo Wazoo CX/commuter
    ...so far...

mtbr member
    Thruster Vanishing Point

Not only an awesome bike, but ended up being a collectable after the company that produced them went out of business.
    1990 Schwinn Sierra MOS
    2011 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2012 Cannondale Claymore 2

Chris Bling
    I am actually surprised that only 6 people ever regretted getting rid of a bike
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by irban_bike View Post
    Evil imperial....wish I never let it go.

The Santa cruz blur 4x comes in as another ride I regret selling...both were awesome bikes
    I regret selling my Evil imperial as well, it was a great bike and I really missed it...
    Last edited by Max24; 03-10-2015 at 12:45 AM.

mtbr member
    99 GT XCR LE with the optional long travel coil shock in back. I sold it and was out of a bike for awhile instead of parking it and hopping back on later.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Regret selling my 06 Turner RFX.The fit was great and was truly a fun bike and was a great friend to me.

Big Test Icycles

1983 Kuwahara Survivor BMX. I sold it after several years of not riding it to keep my first car on the road, in 87'. I've sold several bikes since but only regret letting that one go.

mtbr member
    A 1983 panther bmx. My first new to me bike. Learned a lot on that bike it went everywhere with me. And somewhat strangely a Louis garneau hardtail. It was a frame break replacement rode it a few times and sold it as I didn't need another hardtail. Fit perfectly handled awesome. Still think about that bike a lot. Had a number of other bikes that have been and gone with no regrets.

Sent from my skz_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    1972 Schwinn Continental

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Gt pro performer - California blue with white offset mags. Would have loved to give it to my 9 year old.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    I guess I wish I had kept the Storck. But it was a dumb XC hardtail. could have turned it into a commuter I guess.

mtbr member
    my 09 diamondback sortie. I loved that damn thing, it just fit right and would take a beating.
    I sold it for a blur lt2.1 and regretted it from day 1.

No known cure
    I had a last gen Karpiel Disco Volante that I wished I still had.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    My 5 speed schwinn stingray. I'm fine with the mountain bikes I have sold.

Kept my 1989 breezer
    my 1998 homegrown hardtail in blue metal flake

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    my 1998 homegrown hardtail in blue metal flake
    Its bass boat blue
    Whats this line for?

GOD SPEED # 58 RIP

My Duncon

Duncon Tosa - Inu that bike could do it all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails That one bike you wished you never would have sold....-img_2089.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    "My GREATEST FEAR is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-luder View Post
    Its bass boat blue

Its a *****in' blue whatever the name. Never made sense to sell either of these.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    I am actually surprised that only 6 people ever regretted getting rid of a bike
    I regret that my Prophet MX died, it went away, but I didn't decide to 'get rid' of it.

Does that count?

Chris Bling
    After 6 years of thinking I would never again be able to find me another 2007 Coiler, I found this one for one heck of a steal Its not exactly the same as my original one, but it will for sure do the trick!!! I dont think I have ever been so excited to get a "new" bike as I am about this one. I think its just all of the memories associated with my first 'big' bike. Cant wait till it shows up in the mail tomorrow.

That one bike you wished you never would have sold....-p5pb9405437.jpg
    Affordable Custom Wheels

GAME ON!
    evil imperial. didn't really fit anywhere with my riding style, but goddamn what a cool bike.

That one bike you wished you never would have sold....-p4pb3021981.jpg
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by possum442 View Post
    Gt pro performer - California blue with white offset mags. Would have loved to give it to my 9 year old.
    Same for me...'86 GT Pro Performer in cali blue. Added a set of Pro Series 3-piece cranks and some white Skyway Tuff Wheels...loved that bike and miss the hell out of it.

I like bikes
    My metallic gold 1982 Race Inc BMX bike, with Cook Bros Forks/Bars, Blue Bullseye Hubs on Araya rims. And my candy apple green Rocky Element Race from 1999.

mtbr member
    Another vote for regret selling my Imperial!

This was FUN back in the day - none at garage shots in Essex, Vermont, United States - photo by nouser - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    May 2006

Wish I still had my Schwinn Orange Crate from when I was a kid. I think my dad gave it away. Had a springer front fork, shocks on the banana seat supports(full suspension when seated). Rear tire was like a drag slick. 5 speed shifter on the top tube, drum brake up front. Took it off some sweet jumps.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: That one bike you wished you never would have sold....

Never sold a bike.

My first cheap steel department store bmx bike broke at the head tube/down tube junction, then my Dad welded it, then it broke again and it was done.

My first mountain bike was a Yakota Tuolomne, stolen at the bowling alley in jr. High.

Next i got a GT Karakoram which i parted out to build my Klein Rascal. Gave away the Karakoram frame, and the Klein was stolen outside chem lab in college.

Next i got a specialized rockhopper which was taken to the bars by roomie, and 'hidden behind the dumpster where no one could possibly find it'. You can guess where that bike went.

Then i got a 2001 Spec Stumpy Fsr which is now the aging loaner, and more recently my two late model steeds will not be sold any time soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

My mountaincycle moho ht

mtbr member
    My beautiful 1998 S-Works Steel Suspension Corrected hardtail with full XTR, Silver Hugi Hubs/Ti-dye spokes/red nipples/217ceramic rims, Judy FSX carbon fork, and silver Chris King Headset and Thomson Post. It read Specialized on every tube and it was fast.

mtbr member
    1985 Cooks Brothers Racing 26" Cruiser, all chrome with Blue anodized hardware. Had Cooks everything, forks, bars, cranks, hubs. OK it got stolen but I miss that bike to this day and would buy one right now. It was the original badass Klunker.
    2016 Whyte T-130C RS
    2012 Trek Remedy 9.8...Yep, the one with the little wheels.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    I miss my 1982 or 83 Ross Mt St Helens? Complete with bullhorn stem/ handlebar and thumb shifters. It was my first. I bought it on layaway for about $250. I was 16 and bought it to ride to work. Probably a 40lb bike, but it was mine and new. I rode it everywhere. Converted my "roadie" brother with it. I 've had many since, but if i could get one back. It would be it.

I like bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikiguy View Post
    1985 Cooks Brothers Racing 26" Cruiser, all chrome with Blue anodized hardware. Had Cooks everything, forks, bars, cranks, hubs. OK it got stolen but I miss that bike to this day and would buy one right now. It was the original badass Klunker.
    I'm sorry for your loss.

mtbr member
    1984 Diamond Back Viper Chrome and Gold V handlebars Oakley grips Hutch pedals saved my allowance for a year to get that bike. Someone decided they like the bike also and stole it from me.

mtbr member
    An early generation Mountain Cycle San Andreas R Series I built up a few years back.
    From what I can work out the frame is around 1994'ish. The number was hand etched into the BB. I'm now looking for another one to build up that's in good condition

That one bike you wished you never would have sold....-805.jpg

mtbr member
    Really good thread. I could write a book about all the bikes that made me cry myself to sleep after I sold them. the first one was my first true free ride bike my niff niff a SC VP Free. Loved that bike! I would Dh on that bike XC ride, take it out to a line I was to scared to ride on my trail bike. Took it to Whistler. Ahhhh my my....
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

OMG!
    your mom. she wasn't a real looker but damn she rode nice

mtbr member
    White USA Santa Cruz Chameleon Singlespeed or maybe my 1990s USA 853 GF hookooekoo which was green. Great commuter..

Chris Bling

Modernized :)

Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    After 6 years of thinking I would never again be able to find me another 2007 Coiler, I found this one for one heck of a steal Its not exactly the same as my original one, but it will for sure do the trick!!! I dont think I have ever been so excited to get a "new" bike as I am about this one. I think its just all of the memories associated with my first 'big' bike. Cant wait till it shows up in the mail tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb9405437.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	401.8 KB 
ID:	803525
    So the above picture is what it looked like when it showed up at my house, I did a few parts swapping and here is what it looks like now Much better!!!!!!!

That one bike you wished you never would have sold....-img-20130606-00475.jpgThat one bike you wished you never would have sold....-img-20130606-00479.jpg
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    ^ How much does that weigh

Radical Rookie
    My Kuwahara Magician Pro 2 (1986-87) which I sold to buy a cheap MTB - Concorde. (can you beleive that!???) I parted out the bike and sold it for like a song. Really my biggest bike sale regret till date.
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I regret giving my wife's Haro V2 to my sister when my wife got a GF cake. The v2's nickname was 'twitch' because it's steering was so twitchy. For all of it's faults, though, it was pretty solid, and it's nice having a loaner.

There's also my 2002 Haro Shredder BMX. Stolen out of my car. Loved that candy apple green thing. I put on Whitewall tires, and just had upgraded to the tubular 3piece crankset. A couple years later, my friend called me when he spotted the same model bike, rusted (might have even been mine) at Savers for $25. I hesitated, and by the time i got there it was gone.)

Chris Bling
    Lets get this thread going again!

I still can't believe that I ever sold my 07 Coiler! The bike was truly ahead of its time. Slack head angle, nice and low, and actually pedaled very good for a 'Freeride' bike of its time. Originally I had the 'dusty rose' Coilair, but this one is a fine replacement. I guess you do stupid things when you are young and dumb. Just glad to have it back

After I built up my Coiler last year after finding one for a really good price, I had an itch to get another hardtail. I had to use the parts off my Coiler in order to make this happen. Well, I recently got rid of my hardtail and so I got my parts back! Here is what she looks like as of today:

That one bike you wished you never would have sold....-hubsessed-cycle-works-kona-coiler.jpg

Marz 55 Evo Ti Fork 170mm
    Mango Chris King Hubs laced t WTB i25 rims
    OG Saint Cranks
    Shimano DX Clipless pedals
    Shimano Saint Brakes
    WTB Vigilante Tires
    Thomson 50mm Stem
    RaceFace Atlas 785 Bars
    WTB Rocket V Seat
    XT-Saint Drivetrain and Shifters
    Chris King BB
    Chris King Mango Headset
    Affordable Custom Wheels

A God Without A Name
    I really miss this era of free ride bike. Why no one makes them like this confuses me.

What we have today might be better, but I could afford this.

mtbr member
    I went from a Kona Stinky to a Norco Six to my current Banshee Rune. That banshe is like a free ride bike that climbs well.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I really miss this era of free ride bike. Why no one makes them like this confuses me.

What we have today might be better, but I could afford this.
    As do I. I was having a similar conversation with a buddy of mine recently. Present day bikes are much lighter, faster, and EXPENSIVE!! I can see why the price of bikes has increased over the years, but lately it seems to be out of control...
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    2001 Marin Indian Fire Trail, loved that bike. Swapped it for a road bike, after 3 years realized I don't care for road biking. Now I'm on a 2013 Palisades Trail, decent bike, but just not the same as the Indian Fire Trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Cool thread. Seems like you really enjoyed your latest bike project. The Coiler looks good.

mtbr member
    had an original yeti fro w/accutraxes. i miss her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast