Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

On-One 456 vs On-One 456 Summer Season

Okay decision time. I plan on buying a frame this weekend. I'm 6'4" and need some fitment advice.

I'm aiming for the 20" frame but 456 or Summer Season?

I'm coming from a XC hardtail (2008 Gary Fisher Piranha) that's a 21" frame, 25.4" TT, 69.8 degrees HA and 71.30 degrees SA unsagged (71.80 sagged).

I plan on this being my All-Mountain bike for aggressive singletrack, 140-160mm travel, 2x SLX drivetrain. A few jumps and drops, nothing major.

What would be a better ride for myself? I'm swaying towards a pink 20" 456.

Last edited by eurospek; 11-27-2010 at 11:52 AM.

mtbr member
    0 replies? Either way, didn't wait much longer.

Grad school isn't over just yet, but I have rewarded myself with a little something pink and steel.

2010 On-One 456 20" frame in Deep Pink purchased from Unreal Cycles in Oregon. Thankfully found a US dealer and didn't have to ship it from On-One UK.

The frame:

Aiming for a similar build over winterbreak:

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You only allowed 4 hours? For the riding you are describing I'd say the Summer Season is better.

mtbr member
    IIRC Summer Season has ISCG tabs, regular 456 does not. If you go 1x10 with a guide tabs will come handy.

They had new titanium 456 for sale, for not that much $$. If I had not had my TransAm, it would be on order..

Pink? When glow-in-the-dark is available?

mtbr member
    I might have jumped the gun too quick on the purchase last night.

OMG. This may be a case of buyer's remorse, more like the buyers doesn't know what the **** he wants. After reading more on Mtbr.com and pricing out forks ($500+ range) and wheels ($400), I think I may have to scale back my needs vs wants for singletrack use here in Chicago, let's be honest here, there's no rock gardens or epic downhills in the Midwest to call for 140mm+ travel and All-Mountain duty wheels and slack geometry.

I've been always loving the Ragley line of bikes, from the UK as well. And for 2011 they are offering steel hardtails in 160mm travel (Bagger 288/Troof) and 140mm travel (Blue Pig) and now a Piglet aimed at 120-130mm forks, steel as well of course. The first two have TT of 23.6" and the Piglet is a 24.6", similar to my hardtail now which I find roomy enough but worried about snapping the front end now with my recent purchase.

Before I ordered the 456 frame, I snagged a 2010 Magura USA Durin Marathon 120mm fork for $320 from Chainlove 2 nights ago, marked down from $800+. The fork got good reviews, light at 3.2 lbs and super stiff due to the dual arch design still running 9QR. I don't want to return the fork in a way and I know I might snap the headtube off my current bike with it, which runs 100mm ATM.

The Piglet frame will sell around for a little more than the 456 from CRC and I can scale back all the components to less beefy spec and save substantially. Just as the Piglet is advertised, it's aimed for people who stay more in their seat than out of it, that's me.

My wants and needs are completely different, maybe if I didn't live in the Midwest, my choice would be clear, but as I look at the cornfields, I think I'm making a good choice. I'm canceling the On-One 456 order tomorrow and ordering the Piglet in January, thus selling the Gary Fisher in spring to recoup some costs.

And no Deep Pink is available on the Ragley though, lol, Illegal Ivory will have to suffice.

2011 Piglet:

2011 Bagger 288 and Blue Pig:

mtbr member
    I liked the pink 456.............

T.T in corner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    I might have jumped the gun too quick on the purchase last night.

OMG. This may be a case of buyer's remorse, more like the buyers doesn't know what the **** he wants. After reading more on Mtbr.com and pricing out forks ($500+ range) and wheels ($400), I think I may have to scale back my needs vs wants for singletrack use here in Chicago, let's be honest here, there's no rock gardens or epic downhills in the Midwest to call for 140mm+ travel and All-Mountain duty wheels and slack geometry.
    I have a RS Sektor RL Coil U-turn 150-110 being shipped Monday - price on Universal Cycles is $417 minus 15% coupon. That's pretty much a lighter Pike, which is a good fork. But that Durin price is nice. Would love to put it on my wife's bike.. too late. Problem with some Magura forks is they are quite linear for an air fork, which makes setup tricky for heavier folks if you do not want to blow through travel too easily - but then you do get to actually use all the nominal travel. I do ride Wotan on my heavier bike. That is one solid fork so far.

You can get a very nice wheelset for around $300. Add a pair of Avid BB7 mechanicals with some levers for around $100. That's about an extra pound of weight, but dead simple maintenance and reliability. Just use disks other then what usually comes stock with them.

Judging by your excited rambling, I think you should cancel all orders (maybe not for Durin, nice XC fork for that price), and poke around the interwebz for what's available. And speaking of hardtails, 29rs seem to be pretty much the default choice for folks your size - unless you go for 150mm+ of travel (and there is no replacement for travel, we all know that )

Now that I have satisfied my urge to dispense teh interwebz advice, I will be waiting for picture of your new ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    I have a RS Sektor RL Coil U-turn 150-110 being shipped Monday - price on Universal Cycles is $417 minus 15% coupon. That's pretty much a lighter Pike, which is a good fork. But that Durin price is nice. Would love to put it on my wife's bike.. too late.

You can get a very nice wheelset for around $300. Add a pair of Avid BB7 mechanicals with some levers for around $100. That's about an extra pound of weight, but dead simple maintenance and reliability. Just use disks other then what usually comes stock with them.
    Decisions, decisions. All I know as of right now, I want a Ragley. Just have to make up my mind on which model, this gives me enough time to think and go back and forth lol.

I don't think I would go with mechanical discs, I like the stopping power and modulation of hydros.

As for the Magura fork, keep an eye out, there were still 4 left in stock when I bought it 2 days ago, not to mention it dropped in price $20 last night as well it and Chainlove adjusted my bill. Great company.

What type of wheelset would you recommend for the Piglet? And the same for a Blue Pig or Bagger?

Keep in mind, I'm 6'4" and 250 lbs (and slimming down lmao), and would like to not care so much about every little root in the trail as I do now with the Bontrager Ranger wheels on my current Gary Fisher, lol. Can't complain though, wheels have been true and never had a problem with them, but as I said, I'm super careful with them.

mtbr member
    Decisions, decisions. All I know as of right now, I want a Ragley. Just have to make up my mind on which model, this gives me enough time to think and go back and forth lol.

I don't think I would go with mechanical discs, I like the stopping power and modulation of hydros.

As for the Magura fork, keep an eye out, there were still 4 left in stock when I bought it 2 days ago, not to mention it dropped in price $20 last night as well it and Chainlove adjusted my bill. Great company.

What type of wheelset would you recommend for the Piglet? And the same for a Blue Pig or Bagger?

Keep in mind, I'm 6'4" and 250 lbs (and slimming down lmao), and would like to not care so much about every little root in the trail as I do now with the Bontrager Ranger wheels on my current Gary Fisher, lol. Can't complain though, wheels have been true and never had a problem with them, but as I said, I'm super careful with them.
    For wheelset I would definitely look into something that can be converted to rear bolt-up axle - 10mm through - or bolt up. AFAIK something like Transition Revolution 32 could fit the bill. I ride three different sets of Hope Hoops - all from Wiggle. All converted to bolt-up. That does seem to make a difference - even at my 200lb.

But honestly, you have some parts that works. Just get a steel frame - Blue Pig, 456 Summer and a fork with 20mm front. My decision making did lead me to Sektor for my steel AM hardtail - but I probably can do with stock spring - for some extra sag. You would likely need x-firm.

BB7 are the only mechanicals that are worth bothering. Otherwise - SLX.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hope Hoops on Wiggle for about $316 until Monday. I'm getting that with the rear wheel 10mm through axle conversion kit for $337. Make sure they charge you in USD so less fees on the credit card.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    FWIW, I live a little north of Chicago in Kenosha and have a 456 that I use as my "more aggressive XC" bike. I'm currently running it with a 130mm Recon. I've had it for 3 years and it's an absolute blast to ride (I rode it earlier today). Not as fast as a pure XC rig, but still feels good riding XC. More capable on the steeps and jumps/drops though, and just a lot of fun. I personally think the summer season's head angle is just a bit too slack for the riding we have around here, but since I haven't actually ridden one, who knows?
    There are a lot of fun steel long travel hardtails available these days, and you will probably enjoy whatever you end up with so don't overthink it.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    ^ Care to share any pics?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ^ Care to share any pics?
    Here's a recent pic.
    I have several bikes so I try not to spend too much on any one bike.
    2007 Inbred 456 Frame 18"
    RS Recon 351 Solo Air at 130mm
    2x9 w LX cranks and BBG Bash
    X7 shifters and derailleurs
    BB7 brakes with SD7 levers
    I think the wheels are Mavic 321 rims with either XT or deore hubs.
    Rampage 2.35 up front, 2.25 trailbear in back
    GravityDropper seatpost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On-One 456 vs On-One 456 Summer Season-inbred456_2010.jpg  

Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    ^ How tall are you?

This is another dilemma I'm faced with, lol. These aren't the types of bikes where I can do to the LBS and sit on and try.

I'm 6'4" and fit into the 18" and 20" category respectively, with a 33" inseam.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ^ How tall are you?

This is another dilemma I'm faced with, lol. These aren't the types of bikes where I can do to the LBS and sit on and try.

At 6'4" you would do better on the 20". The small frame would be a bit cramped.

If you decide to keep the 456 I think you picked the right one. The tubing is the same as the Summer Season but the HTA may be better suited to your local.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    If you decide to keep the 456 I think you picked the right one. The tubing is the same as the Summer Season but the HTA may be better suited to your local.
    On One states that top tube on Summer Season is straight gauge, unlike on regular 456.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB (On One Team)

15 October 2010
    You're absolutely right, the top tube is plain gauge rather than butted to give that little bit of extra strength on those extreme downhills, jumps and drop-offs...

Underskilled
    The 456 is a good choice (also loving the colour)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ^ How tall are you?

I'm 5' 10" and running the 18" 456. I typically ride 19" XC frames. I ended up going to a 110mm stem on the 18" 456 just to get a reasonable cockpit, and even then it's a half inch to an inch shorter than my XC setups.

At 6' 4", I can't imagine you riding anything less than the 20" unless you are really into small frames. If I were that height, I might be concerned the 20" is too small, not too big.

mtbr member
    To update the thread a little, after I canceled the 20" On-One 456 in pink order, I soon bought an 18" Ragley Blue Pig from CRC for $270. It came and I was a little disappointed, the 18" frame looked tiny in person comparing to my current 21" GF Piranha, I know I wanted a smaller trail bike but even with a 410mm Thomson Setback post, I decided to sell it, broke even on it and started searching again.

Last month I ordered a 20" On-One 456 Summer Season in glow in the dark green and it arrived today. Super excited, the frame size looks to be perfect, welds on the frame are nice, sick paint job and overall I'm pretty stoked about this frame for only $270 shipped.

Other frames that I looked at were the Transition TransAm , Cotic BFE, Santa Cruz Chameleon (all around $600 or more) and the 2011 Ragley Blue Pig ($420) or Troof ($480). The first couple mentioned were double the cost and being a weekend rider, I'd figured I'd get the On-One since it's such a great value and dump the money elsewhere on the build, more importantly on a better wheelset than I had planned, Hope Hoops Pro2/Mavic EX721 from wiggle.co.uk.

Much better pics soon with the DSLR (and build thread), stupid Blackberry washed out the color so much, it's very similar to the Porsche GT3RS green / Rauh-Welt cars. And glows in the dark as well.

mtbr member
    To update the thread a little, after I canceled the 20" On-One 456 in pink order, I soon bought an 18" Ragley Blue Pig from CRC for $270. It came and I was a little disappointed, the 18" frame looked tiny in person comparing to my current 21" GF Piranha, I know I wanted a smaller trail bike but even with a 410mm Thomson Setback post, I decided to sell it, broke even on it and started searching again.

Last month I ordered a 20" On-One 456 Summer Season in glow in the dark green and it arrived today. Super excited, the frame size looks to be perfect, welds on the frame are nice, sick paint job and overall I'm pretty stoked about this frame for only $270 shipped.

Other frames that I looked at were the Transition TransAm , Cotic BFE, Santa Cruz Chameleon (all around $600 or more) and the 2011 Ragley Blue Pig ($420) or Troof ($480). The first couple mentioned were double the cost and being a weekend rider, I'd figured I'd get the On-One since it's such a great value and dump the money elsewhere on the build, more importantly on a better wheelset than I had planned, Hope Hoops Pro2/Mavic EX721 from wiggle.co.uk.

Much better pics soon with the DSLR (and build thread), stupid Blackberry washed out the color so much, it's very similar to the Porsche GT3RS green / Rauh-Welt cars. And glows in the dark as well.

I love my summer season. The slack head angle helps me from going otb but for whatever reason it suits me fine as I ride our basic xc trails here in central NC. I have 130mm fork on the front and do not feel the need for more travel. Best part of it is that when I take a trip to the mountains, I am on a bike that rails the downhills far better than I can.

It did take me a good while to "relearn" effective hardtail riding after being on full sus for 6 years or so. That plus the odd geometry led to a few months of learning, but that has made me, I think a better rider. Note I did not say "faster". I am slower on this bike than anything since way back in the days before even front suspension. I built the bike to be solid, not break and let me experiment with my riding. Clearing obstacles, etc... that I could not do before/

I am in the process, however of looking at ways to lighten things up a bit... new wheelset, comparing forks, considering 1x9 setups, etc... but alas that is part of the fun... tinkering with the ride to make it yours...

Best of luck with your build.

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

mtbr member
    Wheelset arrived today, took mighty quick, ordered 01-12-2011, Hope Hoops Pro2/Mavic EX721 from wiggle.co.uk.

Everything else has been ordered as well, should start arriving this and next week.

mtbr member
    Everything else has been ordered as well, should start arriving this and next week.
    Hurry up and get it built man, time's a wastin!

Dive Bomber
    Instead of starting new thread, I use search button and found this thread.

I am just curious the different between the 456 and the summer season(456SS) is it only on the headtube angle?

Actually I am interested in 456SS because I like front pushed fork, I am planning to use rigid btw.

This is my current bike I dunno what brand is this, but I like the headtube angle. So would the 456SS looks like this if I use rigid fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspade
    So would the 456SS looks like this if I use rigid fork?

Summer Season with rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspade
    I am just curious the different between the 456 and the summer season(456SS) is it only on the headtube angle?
    As well as the head angle, the Summer Season has iscg 03 tabs (456 has no tabs) and uses plain gauge tubes instead of butted on the 456 normal, so it's a bit heavier but also stronger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast