mtbr member
    Feb 2013

On One 456 Evo vs Stanton Slackline - AM setup?

hi, I am almost ready to order and have eliminated the bike list from 5 to 2. I was considering the cove handjob, commencal ramone cromo and Chromag stylus or Aperture.
    now its between the 456 Evo and Stanton Slackline....I ride a bit of everything, from long 50km+ days, to just the local dh run which has berms and jumps to some fast sloped singletrack and everything in between.
    Is the slackline worth the extra $$$ over the Evo. I know that the seattube diameter is 27.2 on both which eliminates many dropper posts, but I waste my money on skiing anyways so the dropper post is not a consideration due to its price.
    Should I just forget about the slackline (probably the nicest looking frame I have come across) and just get the Evo as it'll do the same job at half the price?

thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Split the difference and get a Trans AM. Luv mine. I bought it used, but in great condition and complete for 1000 shipped to my door from pinkbike. I'm shocked at how stable it is at speed and how great the small bump compliance is as well. Kinda wish I never got it because now I favor it over my $4,000 enduro.

Off the back...
    456. That thing is a hoot to ride!

mtbr member
    For a hard tail I like the tighter Geo of the slack line. I think the slack line looks like it would ride better with a shorter fork and just really nice in general. I have never ridden an on one, but I can't get into the idea of slack head angles and forks over 150mm on hard tails...I think they are more fun and still plenty capable with really tight handling Geo

And with a hard tail I don't see why you need a ton of fork travel. You're not looking to melt every bump the way you can with a long travel full suspension...I like the way my evil rides best at around 125 mm. Active, tracks well and takes the big hits but still snappy and nimble in Geo and fork platform

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post

Man nice bike! What pike is it? After some time on my '09 air u-turn pike, I am a huge fan. Such a good fork, and while the dual air spring creates a lot of extra complexity maintenance wise, I think its rides better than a normal air spring.

I know what you mean about riding it more than the fs, the hard tail is both more fun and a lot faster for a lot of the trails I ride including the closest spot

Off the back...
    I really like the option to go with longer travel on the hardtail. Most of the time I ride it at 130, but dialling it out to 160 for the rougher stuff lets me get away with a wee bit more. I just have to hope the back end decides to play along. If you're riding twisty singletrack, I agree that a little less travel works to keep things tight, but when it gets a bit rougher and faster the extra travel is nice to have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    cool, thanks for the feedback, I can always ride the 456 Evo with travel set to 130mm. for the price of the Slackline frame I can almost have the 456 Evo and the new Sektor RL forks. Its a tough decision, cause the slackline does look sweet but the price is a huge factor in this case as well.

mtbr member
    The Stanton's made of slightly nicer steel and has a replaceable mech hanger.

If you rip mechs off a lot then that's decision in favour of Stanton, if you've never done it the 456 wins out.

I've no time on a Slackline but it looks lovely, I had a Summer Season for a while and it was great, until I bent and cracked the mech hanger. The Evo is a sort of 456-Summer Season-Blue Pig hybrid, so it'll be lovely too.

I dunno, flip a coin?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    no need for flipping coins, I just ordered a kit from on one. I bought a car last week as well so I figured perhaps the lower price of the on one is much more suited at this moment. Perhaps next year I can get something different and have two rides.

mtbr member
    Split the difference and get a Trans AM. Luv mine.
    Meh. Had one before and if I would have to do it all over again, I'd be buying the 456 EVO. Now if I was looking at a new TransAM frame pricing, I'd be on a Chromag for sure.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Meh. Had one before and if I would have to do it all over again, I'd be buying the 456 EVO. Now if I was looking at a new TransAM frame pricing, I'd be on a Chromag for sure.
    Sounds like you're bored with your Honzo. You should send it to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish View Post
    Sounds like you're bored with your Honzo. You should send it to me.
    Never! The Honzo may be the best riding AMHT that I've owned these past couple of years that doesn't make me want to get a new frame next season. It's a keeper.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    I had to try. /shrug

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    Man nice bike! What pike is it? After some time on my '09 air u-turn pike, I am a huge fan. Such a good fork, and while the dual air spring creates a lot of extra complexity maintenance wise, I think its rides better than a normal air spring.
    I wanna say its the 454. Its a U-turn dual air. Its also a 2009. Im pretty stunned how stiff it is for having the thinner sanctions. It puts the fox 32 and 34 to shame. Its awesome.jpeg

undercover brother
    Go with the TransAM, or if you can swing it, Chromag Stylus. That's the only frame out there that I think looks better than the TransAm. Now whether it rides better or not, that's another question. If you're trying to build on a budget, go with the 456.

mtbr member
    It puts the fox 32 and 34 to shame. Its awesome.jpeg
    I'd say most forks put Fox to shame! They have an obsession with using the weediest crowns they can possibly design, it stinks.
    Last edited by Fix the Spade; 03-14-2013 at 05:45 AM.