mtbr member
    Jul 2006

The old steed is going out to pasture

Hi All,

I hope you guys/gals can help me out with my situation.

I am looking to upgrade from my Cove hardtail to a full sus all-round bike (enjoy my climbing, single tracking and of course going down) and I wanted feedback on my bike choice.

Bike: Giant Trance frame, built up with Hope Big'uns, Hope minis back, m4s front, XT/XTR kit, Fox forks (would love some Pace Fighters but not made of money).

Here's hoping for loads of replies!

Alex

Dirt Displacer
    The Trance is definitely on the XC tip, as far as full-sussers go..... Short travel and all.....

For a more capable AM rig, and if you want to stay with Giant, go with the Reign.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am not set on a Giant ( I have been looking at Ellsworth Epiphany, Turner 5-spot Titus Motolite etc) however, they seem to offer the most bang for the buck...I am still open to suggestions though...

I am thinking that anythjing more than 4" might be a bit too much bike, I have used and raced hard tails for 12 years and would like to retain a decent feel as well as good climbing.

Dirt Displacer
    I used to think that the 4-5" range was perfect, and any more would seriously impact my ability to climb efficently.....

However, I've found that 6" of travel does not adversely impact my climbing, or provide for a squishy feel.....
    Heck, I don't even use the ProPedal on my DHX Air.... I keep it wide open, with a fairly quick rebound, and I get almost nil bounce on my Nomad.
    The suspension does stiffen when I really mash the pedals, but that only helps when I'm really grinding on a tough climb.

Another good example is my wife's GF FatPossum.... It does have the typical single-pivot gremlins, but with the right shock/fork, she can happily scoot along without noticing the 6" of travel that bike has, until she needs it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hmm, well, being open minded I think I should test ride a few 6" rigs to get a feel really, thanks for the push!

Dirt Displacer
    Just as a suggestion....

Make sure, if you test out a Nomad or Reign, that you ask for the shock to be set up right.....

The SantaCruz VPP & Giant Maestro suspension is downright sluggish if not set for your weight. I'm not really familiar with Iron Horse's DW linkage, so I can't say if it's more forgiving.

Anyways, here's my suggestion for 5-6" bikes to try out:

Santa Cruz: Nomad
    Intense: 6.6
    Gary Fisher: Fat PossumXO/XT
    Rocky Mountain: Slayer
    Turner: RFX or FiveSpot
    Giant: Reign
    Iron Horse: MkIII Expert

Double-metric mtb man
    If you're more into a heavy XC / light AM set up (the Trance is decidedly more XC), you may wish to consider adding the GF Cake 2DLX to your test rides. It's a 5", single pivot bike that is fairly light and quick but handles itself quite well when things get more into the AM spectrum. Fisher calls it a "trail bike" and I think that really describes it well.

From my experience, the Cake climbs like a mtn goat, handles single track well (though you may or may not like the higher BB) and does quite well when you point the nose down. It's not a DH or FR bike by any sense of the imagination and it won't win many XC races, but it has treated me well.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Dirt Displacer
    Mike's right....

The Cake is a really decent bike.....
    My wife had an '04 Cake2GS, and it served her very well in our trail adventures....