mtbr member
    Oct 2013

An old Marin MTB

Hi everyone - I'm a newcomer to this forum. I want a new, light bike. So instead of going out and adding more hardware to the world, I decided to overhaul an old Marin I came across. Only problem is, it's missing the gear hanger plate and I'm not sure what model it is. The model name is missing - it's got a label on the rear frame tube saying Marin Custom 7000 series Alloy. It's a hard-tail with rigid forks. The forks are pretty light but I think they might be cro-moly steel. The serial number below the bottom bracket is SR6041470 The tubes are pretty thick and round - not shaped. I thought it might be an early Palisades Trail; maybe around 1996, but I'm not sure.

I wondered it your collective experience and wisdom may have a way of decoding the model from the serial number? - that way I could track down a gear hanger. If this fails, I guess I shall have to get a thick piece of alloy plate and try to make one...
    Any help would be really appreciated. Phil B

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sounds like it might be an Indian Fire Trail. Back in the day I used to have one, polished lacquered alloy tubes steel fork (painted bright lime green) had a fairly long top tube for XC and was stiffer than a girder. Not that helps much for your bits, if its a palisades I recall they used to have grey painted? frames and were steel though things change and memories fade especially considering this was way back in late 80's.

mtbr member
    Picture would help. Also, depending on year, the vintage section might be better audience.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Old Marin MTB

Hi - I'm attempting to track down the model of this old Marin I'm trying to refurbish. Main problem is that the gear hanger is missing...
    An old Marin MTB-marin-frame.jpg

The Fastest of Bananas
    Check out bikepedia. You can pretty much match up exactly what your bike is. I think a company named Pile makes pretty much any hanger you could want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    You probably figured out what bike you have, but in case you haven't, I think I found it. I know nothing about bikes, but I claimed a Marin resting on the dumpster at my apt complex and wanted to identify it. It was a really good find next to a bunch of furniture, so I can only assume someone was moving and ditched everything they didn't have room for. Lucky me. I googled "marin 7000 series alloy" and found this post. The picture you posted is exactly like mine except I have front suspension. I stumbled upon bicycle blue book and used some of the info on this thread, and I took a few stabs in the dark by just clicking on random marin models 1996-2000 and voila- I have a 97 Palisades Trail (1) with the rock shox indy c fork, and yours looks like the Palisades Trail (2) from the same year. The info you need might be here:
    1997 Marin Palisades Trail (02) - New and Used Bike Value
    If you didn't already have it figured out, I hope I was some help. Finding this post helped me figure out what I have, so I joined this forum to hopefully help you in return.