Thread: NS surge review

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

NS surge review

Why is there no review in the review section for this frame. There are reviews for the Core complete bikes but not for the frame itself. What gives?
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't think many people bother reviewing products anymore.

Regardless the surge is a fantastic frame. It has very versatile geometry. It's more than slack enough for the latest "all-mountain" riding, light enough for XC, and can be used for in DJ with the right set-up.

The dropouts are nice because the chain-stay length is adjustable, which means you can also run it single speed without a chain tensioner.

The only REAL drawbacks to the frame is that it only has a 1 1/8 headtube, which means your fork choice is kind of limited.

The frame has the same ride quality as a Chromag Stylus (the only other AM frame I've ridden.
    The build quality is also arguable better. I know the Stylus is produced overseas (like most of the Chromag frames these days [I think]), but the welds spot on and clean.

The paint job is pretty durable as well.

I don't know what else there really is to say, but if you have any questions hit me up.

Braugh Bro.
    My buddy has one, he likes it, says it's one of the funnest bikes he has ever had. Need quite a long seatpost to get away with real trail riding (has dirt-jumperish standover n' such) Definitely more of a freeride hardtail vs AM hardtail. but it works for either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've got one and was going to write a review. I try to review bigger ticket items after a few months of use so that other people can see opinions.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    I saw this thread earlier and I wanted to comment, but i really hadn't ridden my surge enough to get a true feel for it on trails, but today i went on a good ride with it and I was quite impressed, so I figured I'd give you a small review. Let me know if you have any questions cause I realize this review is not too in depth.

I rode it through Noble Canyon which offers the most diverse riding on a single trail in socal. Its about 14 miles if you shuttle it, but about a third is spent climbing. At the top there is normally smooth fast single track with some short climbs that are steep and rocky, but it was covered in snow and fresh mud. I was riding slow because my tires were not too fond of the conditions. After this section, the trail drops into a forested area with twisty singletrack with a some tight switchbacks. Now that I had traction, I was able to go pretty fast and get a feel for the bike at speed. After this section, you plunge into a super technical rocky section filled with chaparral that carries on for a bit. This leads to a deserty area that has even gnarlier rock gardens both uphill and downhill as well as a section of trail that's so gnar that its called "stairway to hell". This is followed with a long sandy climb up over a saddle that isn't too technical. After that is a flowy, bermy, jumpy section that leads to a long rock crawl through "the chunks".

So as you can see I dealt with many different conditions today and I really tested the bike as a trail bike. It performed admirably while climbing, descending and tackling technical terrain and rocks. It rode so smoothly over the rough stuff that I barely missed the 6" of squish out back that I'm accustomed to. It accelerates real good and getting the front end up and throwing the bike around is effortless. I honestly haven't bothered with the sliding dropouts. I just set it up totally slammed and it feels great. I am 6'4" 170lbs and the Large feels long enough for me, alls you need is a long seatpost to account for the short seat tube.The geometry is spot on with a 160mm fork too! Seriously the most fun bike I have ever owned or ridden.

This bike can also be ridden as a freeride bike, but honestly I haven't jumped it too much and I haven't done a drop bigger than 4 feet on it so I can't say for sure, but It feels like you could go pretty big on it. I'm dying to head out to the local freeride spot and hit some drops and some dirt jumps to get a feel for all that.

In summary it is playful, fun and you can do almost everything on it. I even commute on it!

The only complaints I have are that it uses a 1 1/8 head set and 27.2 post which makes it difficult to find forks and dropper posts.
    Also i suppose the cable routing is not super secure on the top tube which results in a clanging sound which may bother some, but can be easily remedied.

Here are the build specs:
    Frame: 2012 NS Surge (L)
    Fork / Headset: Fox 36 Float R 160mm / Chris King
    Handlebars / Stem: Answer Protaper 720 AM 2" / Sunline V1 AM 50mm
    Saddle / Seatpost: Nashbar GR2 / Nth degree 400mm
    Brakes / Brake Rotors: Magura Louise BAT / 160mm AVID HS rotors (bigger ones on the way)
    Cranks / BB: Raceface Evolve XC with 32t ring / Shimano
    Chain Guide / Chainstay Guard: MRP G2 / Lizard Skins
    Rear Derailleur / Shifter: SRAM X7 Short Cage / SRAM X7
    Cassette / Chain: Shimano HG61 12-36 9 speed / Shimano HG93
    Pedals / Grips: Wellgo MG-1 / ODI Rogue
    Rims / Hubs: DT Swiss E540 / Formula
    Tires: WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    very nice bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Maan, it's awesome. +1 for skate shoes and bmx helm :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-unior View Post
    Maan, it's awesome. +1 for skate shoes and bmx helm :-)
    thanks!

the shoes are 5.10 spitfires. I love em because they are essentially skate shoes with grippy 5.10 soles so they are great for mtb

mtbr member
    cant wait to build mine up.... im starting off with a fox 32 140mm but will change it soon after money falls from the sky