mtbr member
    Feb 2009

NS surge fork option

Thinking about doing a fork swap on my current HT. Right now I've got a 2005 66rc on it. Absolutely love this fork, but at 150mm, its quite tall. I've got an opportunity to trade it flat out for a pike u-turn. This bike is predominantly my AM ride, hitting mostly rockier XC trails, but spends some time in the air and pointed down some steeper runs. The 66 is great until I turn to climb, and at that moment it just feels like I'm too raked out.

The pike will give me the option to play around at 120mm travel but still be able to slide out to 145 for descending days. I like the thought of travel adjust. What I'm not sure of is how the pike will compare performance wise. I'll be going to a noticeably smaller diameter fork, and I haven't spent enough time on pikes to know how well they ride. I also don't know how well they hold up to the glory day zoke forks WRT maintenance and longevity. Will i still be able to run my 8" front rotor with the pike?

FWIW, the pike is a u-turn coil, not sure of the model number. I can't remember if it had the seal on the MoCo replaced, or if that needs to be done. The zoke has had seals replaced recently, and probably needs its yearly maintenance soon. No other problems with it.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    what do you think will be the sweet spot. ive never seen a surge in person but i thought they were supposed to accept LT forks. 120 seems like it could feel too short and steep

i could swear there is some new type of zero stack lower headset even for 1 and 1/8 HT...doesnt sound right but i think ive read that. that could shave you down stack height with existing fork if available

i havnt ridden a pike, but i dont think i'd have any issue buying one of the later models if it was in good condition

what about picking up a used fox 36 float?...with a pretty easy process, you can adjust the travel internally to whatever you want in 10 mm increments. with a float you would also have a bit more flexibility in the future if you ever move the fork to a different frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    120-180 is what I believe they were designed for. The 66 at 150mm is taller than my new 66 at 180mm. Really, a Lyrik would be ideal for my situation, but I don't know anyone who'd be willing to trade forks.

As far as it being too steep, that I have no idea. I've ridden it with a surly rigid fork, it was steep, but it worked out well, very xc geometry.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just noticed, a pike at 140 would give me an ~ 67 HA (based on a 520 A2C, the zoke is at 572 currently)

mtbr member
    oh yeah those forks have crazy tall stack heights. i think proper geometry impacts handling a lot more than a slight decrease in stiffness would

i think the pike would be fine...still got the 20mm TA for reasonable stiffness. at 120, you might even enjoy throwing slicks on and riding the surge around in a skatepark. could be pretty fun to have adjustability

i have a reeeaaly old RS silo fork (pretty much an MTB relic) with a 20m TA that was permanently lowered to 80m and fixed with a stiff steel spring on my blk mrkt mob. its not stiff like my float but for street/park riding with occasional trail time it performs great and I would never replace it.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    I have a Surge as well and I run a older 32 Talas on it... can be set to 100, 120, or 140. I enjoy all the settings. Mostly use 120 for trail and dirt jumps, 100 is fun for pump tracks or street riding, 140 for faster/steeper trails.

Honestly I think 120 is the most fun, really gives the bike a slalom bike type feel.
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com