Thread: Norco Fluid

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Norco Fluid

Hey my name's Chris and I'm etting a 2011 Norco Fluid really soon and just wanted to know what you guys think of the bike and components installed on it. There's not many reviews in that section of this site on norcos so some input is much appreciated. Components are:

fox fit rlc front forks with 6" travel
    XR rear derailleur
    Elixir R brakes
    RP23 rear shock (5.75" travel)
    Race face deus cranks
    dt swiss x430 wheels
    XR shimano hubs

I ride in northern california and plan on riding everything around here. I did some research and I think the first I'll change are the wheels. The bike is super light and fits me great for a medium but before I take it home I'd like to swap out any of the weaker components asap

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Why swap anything? As it is with the stuff you listed it's already a dope bike. Use the stock stuff till it breaks and replace it then. Otherwise sell me those wheels on the cheap

Seriously though, that's an awesome bike! Enjoy it!

bi-winning
    I'd consider switching out the XR rear derailleur and XR hubs. I've never heard of them. I'd go with something a little bit more common / trusted.

Are you new to mountain bikes?

The specs you list seem pretty great.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Haha thanks for the input as sarcastic as it was. Yea I'm new to mountain biking but I've been riding dirt bikes for years. I've been doing a lot of research but I couldn't find much on the XR series stuff and norco in general. The reviews on the cranks and wheels weren't the greatest I just don't wanna tear up a rim on a jump/rock/whatever.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Motocrosser86 View Post
    Haha thanks for the input as sarcastic as it was. Yea I'm new to mountain biking but I've been riding dirt bikes for years. I've been doing a lot of research but I couldn't find much on the XR series stuff and norco in general. The reviews on the cranks and wheels weren't the greatest I just don't wanna tear up a rim on a jump/rock/whatever.
    XR is a typo.

It's either XT, Shimano's second-from-the-top line of components (the R is right beside the T on a keyboard)
    or
    XTR, Shimano's top of the line components.

Norco is a Canadian company, and their popularity varies a lot by region. I've worked at a Norco dealer myself, and they do a fantastic job of standing behind their bikes. Warranty claims were always handled well.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    The Fluid bikes are sweet. I've got an old Norco Fluid 4 sitting around that I hardly ride, but it's still a great bike. It's an older one and has shorter forks, but it still hucks and handles great.
    I just have one question, I thought the travel sizes on the Fluid bikes was between 130-150mm. What 2011 model is your fluid with 160mm forks?

Hearing about Norco bikes isn't too common, especially in the United States. They're much more popular in Canada. You would probably hear more about them over on NSMB.
    Regardless, seems like you've got sound components.

I currently ride a 2011 Norco Range 3. I've done a number of upgrades though

780mm Chromag Fubar OSX bars
    the newest XTR trail brakes by Shimano
    WTB Freeride front wheel and a Loco rear
    Sram/Truvativ's X0 drivetrain
    Straitline pedals (they're awesome)
    ODI Rogue lock on grips
    Specialized Phenom saddle

then I've got a couple of different tires sitting around for different areas that I prefer to have them with me. Then again, I don't change for it all that much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The model just said fluid on it but I noticed on here that there are a bunch of sub-models of fluid. The one I'm picking up at my LBS just says "fluid" on the top tube. I looked around on the frame and didn't notice any other markings. Thanks for the input guys I'll definitely check out that other site hopefully they got some more info on norco. Ehigh post some pics that bike sounds sweet!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    they do a fantastic job of standing behind their bikes. Warranty claims were always handled well.
    this is a big plus since I recently had a horrendous experience with bikesdirect.com (learned my lesson for sure)

I AM I AM
    I think you have a 2010 Norco Fluid SE possibly, just that the specs on any others don't match up with what you said (ie DT Swiss Rims and Elixir brakes)
    Norco Bikes Mountain Bikes All Mountain Fluid SE

Fluid SE frame 116-143 mm travel, M6 tubing
    FORK FOX 32 FRLC FIT 150 mm 15mm axle
    REAR SHOCK FOX Float RP23
    HEADSET VP alloy sealed
    GRIPS Sunline "S" lockon
    HANDLE BAR Ritchey WCS rise bar
    STEM Ritchey WCS 4 Axis
    SEAT POST Ritchey WCS 2 bolt
    SADDLE WTB Silverado Team black
    FRONT BRAKE Elixer R 7" rotor Carbon lever
    REAR BRAKE Elixier R
    BRAKE LEVERS Elixier R
    SHIFTER FRONT Shimano XT rapid fire
    SHIFTER REAR Shimano XT rapid fire
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano XT high clamp 34.9
    REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano XTR
    CASSETTE Shimano XT CS M 770
    CHAIN Shimano CN HG-93
    CRANKSET Race Face Deuce XC
    BOTTOM BRACKET with crank
    CHAIN TENSIONER N/A
    PEDALS Crank Bros Candy C
    FRONT HUB Shimano 15 mm axle center lock
    REAR HUB Shimano XT center lock
    SPOKES 1.8 stainless
    RIMS DT X430 disc rim
    TIRES Schwalbe Knobby Nic 26 x 2.10

So that's a top of the line Fluid for 2010, certainly much nicer spec than the Fluid that Norco has on their website currently!
    And maybe that's why you haven't seen many reviews of your particular model, I imagine a lot of people with that sort of money might have purchase more "boutique" brands.
    Yes perhaps you could do well to upgrade to stronger wheels or whatever depending on the riding you're doing. But as far as the quality of the spec on the bike goes and using it for the kind of riding Norco intended well you wouldn't need to upgrade anything out of necessity just personal preference....or ride it until it breaks!

Here in Australia Norco rates as a good brand along with the likes of Giant, Specialized etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Good to hear. Here in California there's obviously a lot of santa cruz but nobody really rides or knows about norco. I was worried about the wheels as I would like to eventually head up to northstar for the downhill trails and I don't know how well they would hold up. I'll just leave it stock for awhile and enjoy it

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    The only thing that confuses me is that you mentioned there are 160mm forks on them, which is something I just haven't heard of on them. Then again,I don't know all the components of the Fluid line up. I've just heard of 130-150mm.

I'll post some pictures later, probably Monday. My Canon Powershot finally died on me not too long ago so I'll be picking up a new one or just a new USB for my Canon Rebel.

When I first began to realize that I am one of the few on the trails riding a Norco, I was skeptical if I had purchased the "right" bike. But, after going to Vancouver Island and riding more intensive trails than the ones here and seeing dozens of them on the trails, I felt reassured. Even saw a group of five 2011 Range 1 bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ehigh do you live on the west coast? I've done a ton of research and rode about 8 bikes in my price range and although the norco was a little bit out of my range, it was way too good of a deal to pass up and I know I'll have a blast on it!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    The Fluid is a great bike for climbing as well as coming down the trails.

I do live on the West Coast. Specifically, I live on the Central Coast of California.
    Not a whole lot of Norco bike dealers around here, but there is one just 15 minutes on a bike away from me.

Have you tried any other Norco bikes out?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I know the fluid will climb great since it was so much lighter than any of the other bikes I rode. I only found one dealer that sold Norco in the east bay area and they had a few of them in stock but the fluid fit my the best even though it was a medium and I usually ride large frames. Just a few days ago my mind was set on a yeti 575 in San Jose until I saw the Norco. Do you live around Monterey/San Luis Obispo?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I know the fluid will climb great since it was so much lighter than any of the other bikes I rode. I only found one dealer that sold Norco in the east bay area and they had a few of them in stock but the fluid fit my the best even though it was a medium and I usually ride large frames. Just a few days ago my mind was set on a yeti 575 in San Jose until I saw the Norco. Do you live around Monterey/San Luis Obispo?
    Some people say Norco runs their bike sizes bigger than most do. However, the 08 Large Fluid feels a little small for me now and I am currently on a XL. Then again, I am 6'3".

Admittedly, I didn't even ride my 2011 Range 3 before buying it as it wasn't stocked. Nothing wrong with the components originally on it, I just wanted better ones.

I live in San Luis Obispo County. It's fun out here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    San Luis Obispo is an amazing area but I haven't been down there in about 5 years. If I decide to head down there I'll definitely let you know. What trails do you recommend to ride? I'm not in the best shape but I can ride whatever terrain

I AM I AM
    Just check out number like effective top tube length and compare to the last bike you had to get an idea of weather a Norco size medium is more like the large you used to ride.
    I was looking at the hardtails recently and notices that a Small Norco Nitro is closer to the XS Giant XTC1, so I'd tend to believe what Ehigh was saying about Norco running their sizes bigger than some.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    good choice

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    San Luis Obispo is an amazing area but I haven't been down there in about 5 years. If I decide to head down there I'll definitely let you know. What trails do you recommend to ride? I'm not in the best shape but I can ride whatever terrain
    I live in Los Osos so I've gone and ridden in Montana de Oro a lot. It's quite awesome out there, but I haven't been able to ride in a while.

The Cuesta Grade is probably my favorite. Awesome trails to be ridden out there.

There really are trails for every type of rider out here.

Here's my bike:

new guide/guard by MRP:

newest XTR brakes:

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Killer looking bike love the color scheme. Where did you get that chain guard?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Killer looking bike love the color scheme. Where did you get that chain guard?
    thanks, the colors have fallen into place nicely. I dig it a lot and I got the new handlebars recently and they turned out really nice.

I don't think any LBS anywhere carries them just yet. There are a few online retailers, but direct from MRP works best. They're pricey though. For the material put into them, they seem overpriced. But I believe they are the only company to have the guide using a pulley instead of a rolling wheel. I didn't want a rolling wheel as they present numerous problems, so 2X I went. Really works great for my 2x10 set up. They're only intended for 2x set ups, hence the 2X in the name.

Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | Shop

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Definitely pricey but looks strong. I'd like to convert mine eventually to a 2x10 since I don't really use all 3. I'm picking mine up next week and I'll post some pics for sure

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    switching your drivetrain over is quite pricey too. unless you're not concerned about how much money you spend, you will have to be rather conservative with the parts you buy. if you're looking at Truvativ/Sram 2x10 setups, look into X7 or X9. The most important part is probably the X0 shifters. Beyond that, most of the X0 purchase is because it says X0 on it and cuts a few grams here and there. The technologies are the same.

enjoy your ride. I look forward to seeing some pictures of another happily ridden Norco. happy riding to you