mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Non-Uber Super V

Love the threads about old Super Vs - mainly because I have two. Here is the regular rideNon-Uber Super V-100_0266.jpg a '95, one of those that cannot be uberized due to the carbon fiber swing arm. With titanium this and that, and tubeless tires on Crossmax wheels the bike is a rocket. 1X9 geartrain and an upgraded Headshok that Cannondale dug out a back room for me a while back. Bike weighs 25.2 lbs! Only one complaint, swingarm has only 1.5" of travel, so big drops are out, although I have never bottomed out. Just had to crow about an old bike that still performs.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noblefishing View Post
    Only one complaint, swingarm has only 1.5" of travel, so big drops are out
    I hit 4' to flat or much higher to transition fairly regularly on my hardtail. I wouldn't be scared of drops because of the lack of suspension but by the extremely short wheelbase and quick handling of that bike. It's totally not intended for drops, so it's not good at them.

I like seeing those old Vs out on the trails. Their handling is out-of-this-world weird compared to modern bikes, it's like holding the tiller of a hyperactive boat. They're neat.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Trail Ninja
    Was squinting at your rear shifter for a min, wondering why it was floating under your stem... (stealthy flat handlebar) xD

Modern tubeless tires such a luxury. Lucky you are able to still source 'em in 26". Is that an Ikon front, High Roller 2 rear? Odd to see the tires without the hot patch for the model, width, compound, etc.

Looks fast. I'd put grippier pedals on it (anything with skinnier pins, like set screws), and would switch to ODI Pro Elite grips the moment those current grips slipped, especially if it slipped when trying to bunnyhop something. 1x9 is plenty for that light agile whip, but I wonder how a 10spd chain would shift on it. I hear 10spd chains are stronger and better made, but being narrower might affect the effectiveness of the Hyperglide shift aids. I'd use the rub-prone rd shifter routing as an excuse to go with a wider bar too. xD
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions - various patches, logos and so forth are on only one side of the Maxxis tires, the other side of course! Yes they are Ikon and High Roller II - Don't know about a 10-speed chain, might be worth a try. Might work with an Sram cassette? Cable routing is an issue, can't seem to avoid the rubbing, used to apply stainless tape to the rub spots, then gave up. I like narrower bars for avoiding hang-ups on brush, tree limbs, etc., and because of the short wheelbase steering sensitivity mentioned by scottzg.

Also not doing big drops because at 63 I should be on a beach cruiser, but hey - going fast in the dirt is way more fun -

Trail Ninja
    Can prob replace the pins with set screws. They're like 50c each at Home Depot and prob use a common M4 thread standard. Instant grip for your current pedals, though with more bite on your shins too.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Doing the Kamakazi DH race at Mammoth, around '94. inch and a half of headshock travel, 3 inches of rear travel via my special piggyback shock.

I still have this, hanging on my "Wall of Frame"

Non-Uber Super V-kamakazi-ks.jpg
    Name:  sv shock small.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  171.0 KB

bike rider
    How long were the XLs? Every Cdale from that era had a 130-150mm stem and that's the real killer. I'm wondering if a short guy could fit on an XL (plenty stand over) and put a 70-80mm stem on it.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Awesome shock, TantrumCycles - must have been custom made, is it still around? Also, bike has an aluminum swing arm, earlier I think than the carbon one.

I have a second parts SV with the aluminum swing arm, and also an extra carbon swing arm, in case it proves to be the better choice hoping to be able to switch them out. Same proprietary shock mount, which is kind of limiting.

Yes, reach is a problem, have my seat as far back as it will go, and with 32" inseam having the seat high is also helpful. Don't know if there are any 70 - 80mm stems out there

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Love the 2.1 gumwalls. Purple was the original color on my frame as well! Powder coated green 16 years ago, now touching up with spray paint. Would really like to have a shock like that!

bike rider
    Plenty of short stems exist cuz they didn't change the Headshock/Lefty stem. I just don't know if any frames had enough reach to use a short stem.
    Keep the Country country.