Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

non-mainstream bike brands

I've been helping a friend find a FS bike. The mainstream brands are great, but within the search around town and on the internet there have been some brands that I have never heard of up until now.

Woodstock bikes: Any fans/experience?

Iron Horse: Any fans/experience?

Giant: Any fans/experience?

IBEX: just kidding I have read enough there.

Fuji Bike: Any fans/experience?

I mainly question the frames. Components are easily changed over time.

Bottom line bike for him should be FS with mech. discs.

Are there other bikes I have not heard of that are great? My gut feeling is that Giant makes a pretty nice bike generally speaking.
    Arron
    2010 Felt - New Belgium Fat Tire Cruiser!!!
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone
    1996 Trek 930 commuter

local trails rider
    Giant not mainstream?

Heard about Knolly or Nicolai?

mtbr member
    Never heard of those two. I had never heard of Giant before this year. I know, where the hell have I been?
    Arron
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone
    1996 Trek 930 commuter

mtbr member
    I believe Giant is actually the largest frame manufacture in the world (including making frames for Specialized and Trek) and their own line is generally well made and reasonably priced.

For a lot of the smaller brands it really depends on budget. With most of the boutique builders you are going to be looking at $1500 + (and likely $2,000+) for the frame alone.

If that gets out of the budget stick with the bigger brands and their middle of the line bikes and you should get a good frame with solid parts.

when i think of mainstream I think of bikes that are mostly sold as fully built up bikes (specialized, iron horse, giant, cannondale etc).
    Non mainstream: knolly, banshee, ventana, turner, dobermann, moots, transition, yeti, etc.
    I'm not sure where to put Santa Cruz or Rocky Mountain.. I see way too many of the former where I live.. and RM usually come fully specc'd but are handmade (not sure about lately)?

If I were on budget, I'd start at Giant & iron horse(although their bikes can get $$ too) and move up or down from there.

Paste eater
    ummm, Giant and Iron Horse are about as mainstream as they come.... 'other might include the big S, Trek and Canondale.

EDR
    I know absolutely nothing about that Woodstock bike you link to and normally I would highly recommend someone NOT buy a $800 FS bike, but I gotta say...those spec's look pretty good for an inexpensive fs bike. X.7 shifter/der. , BB5, PG950 cassette, Al frame, Manipoo susp. Damn nice stuff for a fs bike in that price range, imo.

Of course the frame/welds/geometry might all be crap for all I know

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Almost all bike frames come out of the same factories, mostly in Taiwan. For instance Giant is the largest bike manufacturer in the world. A lot of manufacturers buy frames made by Giant and then just put their own decals on. They even make frames for Trek. Kinesis is another large manufacturer that makes frames for a lot of the big name brands. Topkey in China makes carbon frames for most of the big name brands. So brand name is not that important. What is important is who made the frame, not the sticker that is slapped on it. If you are interested in a bike try to find out who made it and where, that will really tell you the quality of the frame.

On your list the only brands that I have owned are Giant and Ironhorse. Giant is a good company, like I said earlier they are the largest manufacturer of bikes so they know a thing or two. Ironhorse is an up and coming brand. They used to make cheap bikes but now they have a lot of really nice high end bikes. I bought my wife an Ironhorse Warrior Comp and for the price it is much better equipped than some of the bigger brands like Trek or Cannondale. For $350 I got Deore shifters and derailleurs, a manitou axel fork, Hayes mechanical discs and WTB SX24 wheels. The bike weighs about 31 pounds.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Why no love for Marin?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Also check out...

Motobecane- the Fantom DS in the Elite or Pro is an awesome value...they are a internet based wholesaler like Ibex so they tend to get shunned by the fanboys too.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...elite_ds08.htm
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ompro_ds08.htm

I only chose the Ibex Ignition because I could only stretch my budget to $1000 and these were a few hundred more-but still couldn't afford

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jtdbsr
    Why no love for Marin?
    I am obsessed with marin xc .
    I am expecting my 07 east peak next week. I can't wait.

I think k2 makes good FS bikes around $800-1100.
    I had 06 K2 lithium and I like it.

I-S
    Magurified
    How about both of my bikes?

BeOne Nirvana

24Seven Crosser

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    Kona doesn't make many cheap bikes, but they make good bikes.

GAME ON!
    i've had 3 ironhorse bikes and have had no issues/complaints with any of them other that the fact that they'r a tad heavy... but hey, a dw-link ironhorse can be had fully built for the price of the lighter dw-link ibis mojo, so i can live with that.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

thats right living legend
    Never heard of Giant or Iron Horse huh?

You do know this "is" a mountain bike site right?
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Here is one of the only professional reviews of the Woodstock 707 anywhere:

http://www.mountainbiketales.com/reviews/707.htm

Sounds like a great deal!
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTwisted
    Here is one of the only professional reviews of the Woodstock 707 anywhere:

http://www.mountainbiketales.com/reviews/707.htm

Sounds like a great deal!
    I have the 707 & love it. Can't beat the customer service either. I bent a derailleur hanger... e-mailed them & they had TWO new ones at my door in 3 days at no charge to me.
    Last edited by irvintat; 02-21-2008 at 08:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the article find on the 707! And It's nice to hear about good customer service.
    Arron
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone
    1996 Trek 930 commuter

mtbr member
    I have a 2005 Fuji Adventure Hi full squish frame that I bought in November and I like it a lot. It has a Specialized FSR horst link rear end with a Manitou Swinger 4 way air with 6" of travel made in Taiwan. I got the frame for $300 basically new off of Craigslist and built it up from parts from my HT plus upgraded the fork to a RS Pike Coil and I love it. You can still find some good deals on new old stock Fuji's online and they are a great value. Not super sexy but they more than get the job done. The 2008 Fuji Thrill LT 1.0 look sick, although I don't know anything about the RS Pearl shock on it. it says it comes with a Pike fork but a RS Domain 160mm is what is pictured and is what is referenced if you click on details. MSRP: $2270 but you could probably find it for a lot less.

http://fujibikes.com/2008/bikes.asp?id=429#

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Fetish Cycles has always worked for me, they seem to get more hate than they deserve on here they make alot of nice quality bikes that are pretty well priced, but theyre more xc, AM if your smooth though ive owned 3 so far

www.fetishcycles.com

mtbr member
    Well I would have to give my vote for a great company by the Astrix. Check them out great craftsmanship and technology!

-R

Astrixsports.com
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

http://www.titusti.com/2010/
    http://www.corsairbikes.com/

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tonkota
    I've been helping a friend find a FS bike. The mainstream brands are great, but within the search around town and on the internet there have been some brands that I have never heard of up until now.

Woodstock bikes: Any fans/experience?

Iron Horse: Any fans/experience?

Giant: Any fans/experience?

IBEX: just kidding I have read enough there.

Fuji Bike: Any fans/experience?

I mainly question the frames. Components are easily changed over time.

Bottom line bike for him should be FS with mech. discs.

Are there other bikes I have not heard of that are great? My gut feeling is that Giant makes a pretty nice bike generally speaking.
    Actaully, giant is pretty mainstream. Look around on this site (use the search function), and go to the company specific forums, and you will finds loads and loads on Giant, Ibex, Iron Horse, and maybe Fugi.

I don't know much about Fugi or Woodstock, but the other three have good reputations for making affordable, reliable bikes. IH and Giant employ top notch suspension designs on their higher end models. I have tested a Giant Reign and Trance and was impressed with both. I currently own an Iron Horse MKIII and believe it is the best 5" frame out there for under $2K (frame alone), yet complete bikes (`07's) can be had for $1,300. $1,500 gets you a decent part spec. The DW link suspension is the best thing out there that I have tried.

Flaccid Member
    Growing by leaps and bounds, with a name for Quality and great service... Bionicon. Good components like DT Swiss hubs, Schwalbe tires, Formula brakes and a great suspension system designed by some employees that left Fox to form their own suspension company. Components that get the great reviews.

Check out their Edison with a demo ride some time.

mtbr member
    For what it is worth I just got the new Ibex Ignition Super and am VERY impressed. Very solid bike and not too hard on your wallet at $1000 bucks. Bonus is if you don't like it send it back for a full refund.

cgd
    mtbr member
    orange

pace

cotic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast