mtbr member
    May 2005

nomads weight loss

Hello, just some feedback please...

I ride a 08 nomad, and Im pretty sure its 34 pounds.
    R AM kit with a mix of XT/LX, raceface bars, dtswiss x5.0 front with TA hub, mavic 721 (destroyed the dt swiss) with xt hubs, maxxis highroller 3.5 foldable, Marz 55R fork and a fox coil shock.

Im pretty sure that if I want to lower the weight fork is the number one option (55 6pounds to float or talas 36 4.6-5 pounds) and the wheelset any xm line mavic at 460 grams each average plus hope hubs, maybe another pounds less.

What other option do you think should I consider?

Tires are gonna stay cause are pretty light for the AM porpuse and It traction on trails, coil shock is awsome and like it way better than air.

I dont want to go to light cause can compromise safety, right? Im 225 pounds and ride in the north shore, squamish, whistler trails on summer, NW USA trails (washington and oregon states). Dont do drops that often but if I do it nomore than 5 feets (1 meter and a half?) ride uphills a lot and as you may know trails are full of rocks bridges, ramps and roots.

A 32 pounds AM bike is not bad but maybe 30 pounds is to light for my style/weight/trails?
    options?, your views?
    thanks
    marry christmas

usually cranky
    34 seems fine to me, but if you are itchin to shed some pounds, you are right, the 55 is a beast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    make sure the rim you go with is wide enough for your tire.

ti coil.
    cassette?

another thing to do is write down your parts spec and go to each mfg"s web site to get the weights, then look at other items higher end parts to compare weights/ cost.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAMATRAIL
    Hello, just some feedback please...

I ride a 08 nomad, and Im pretty sure its 34 pounds.
    R AM kit with a mix of XT/LX, raceface bars, dtswiss x5.0 front with TA hub, mavic 721 (destroyed the dt swiss) with xt hubs, maxxis highroller 3.5 foldable, Marz 55R fork and a fox coil shock.

Im pretty sure that if I want to lower the weight fork is the number one option (55 6pounds to float or talas 36 4.6-5 pounds) and the wheelset any xm line mavic at 460 grams each average plus hope hubs, maybe another pounds less.

What other option do you think should I consider?

Tires are gonna stay cause are pretty light for the AM porpuse and It traction on trails, coil shock is awsome and like it way better than air.

I dont want to go to light cause can compromise safety, right? Im 225 pounds and ride in the north shore, squamish, whistler trails on summer, NW USA trails (washington and oregon states). Dont do drops that often but if I do it nomore than 5 feets (1 meter and a half?) ride uphills a lot and as you may know trails are full of rocks bridges, ramps and roots.

A 32 pounds AM bike is not bad but maybe 30 pounds is to light for my style/weight/trails?
    options?, your views?
    thanks
    marry christmas

Fork, wheel, tires. 34lbs is a good weight for North shore type trail.

I have a Maverick ML8, it range from 27lbs to 34 depends on my build. Now it's sit at 32# with Hammerschmidt, Magura Wotan, and KS 950. I'm thinking about dropping it to 30 by switching the Fork to Duc32 and may be lighter tires.

If you have not weight your bike you may be in for a surprise how much it can weight. It's like it retain water or something I have worked out a 25lbs bike on paper, and got 27lbs on the scale. Dropping 2-3 lbs on a 34lbs bike is not too difficult, or as expensive than from 25lbs bike.(YMMV)

Going tubeless. If you are using a 250g tube( which can be up to 312g, it happened to me) that 600g, VS going tube less at 250. That alone is 1lb. Your tire is quite light for the volume already.

Rims, are you talking about the 719? as 721 is about 575g (actual). I'm going with the Velocity P35 it's about 540g but at 35mm width I've heard good things about them and that they are strong. I'm sure it help with the choice of tires as it would be a wider foot print with little weight gain, still comes in less than 721.

Your coil shock is safe to say about 2lbs, going with pushed rp23 would safe 1.5lbs, it may not be an option for you. As coil can be quite addictive.

Everything else are not as important, and yes it adds up. You are more realistic with your weight goal, I think it's quite easy to do.
    Have fun
    Merry Chrismas

mtbr member
    You may consider looking at a pair of Mavic EN521 rims. 28mm wide and they weigh in at 540g. It's what I'm running on my Butcher right now. My previous wheels were laced to Mavic 321 rims and they held up really well, so I'm sure the 521s will be fine.

My spelling is atroshus
    I dumped my WTB rims for a set of Stan's Arch's and run them tubeless. The swap immediately saved weight that is very noticable. I also bought a new rear cassette and it was lot lighter than my stock cannondale cassette.