mtbr member

Nomad Vs. Remedy 7 8 9

So I demo'd a Nomad on the weekend...

I also got an email from Trek saying Canada won't see the Remedy until June...

Do I wait until June for the Remedy (if only to try it and hate it) or do I just buy the Nomad?

NOMAD: http://www.santacruzmtb.com/nomad/index.php?builder=1

REMEDY:http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes...emedy/remedy9/

Thanks!

TNC
    noMAD man
    That's a tough one. I have a Nomad, so I know how good it is. We sell Trek also, and I'm impressed with how these new Treks look by design. But having not really had a chance to ride one, it's hard to give any rational advice. I can say that I'd be surprised if you weren't totally stoked by the Nomad if you got one. You'd be the guinea pig with the Trek, but it might turn out to be a good thing.

mtbr member
    Hey I just got a reply from "Trekman" that said some dealers may have pre-ordered the Remedy. It may be available sooner than I thought.

If it snows again here and the trails muck up, I'll know it's a sign from the Gods to wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Some Trek Remedy reading.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/trek-re...rt-1-2007.html
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/trek-re...rt-2-2008.html

I'm not going to bore you with the mechanics and suspension design details but I can tell you this: it works, it works VERY well! If you're looking for a new “do anything” bike then the Remedy is a great choice, trust me you will not be disappointed. The best thing Trek can do is to get people on these new bikes, like they did for us. There was no fancy sales pitch with these guys, just great bikes.

As CC owner Derek Lee put it “if they don't pick the Remedy as bike of the year, I'm gonna fight somebody.”

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/search/?q=Trek+Remedy

squish is good
    IMO hands down no question get the Nomad. But everybody will have their own opinion, I like the Nomad because they are so versatile with build options. The Remedy is always going to be on the light duty side even though I'm sure it is a great bike.
    Bike good, work bad.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    I can't comment on the Remedy, it does seem a good design and I will not refuse to test ride one if it'a available at all. ;-) . The E2 headtube requires tapered steerer which will tie you to a few fork manufacturer. Hope all big boys can supply this option in future.
    I do have a Nomad, and as TNC said it's a good bike, very balance bike to me -an important ingredient for a bike. Climbing with 160mm fork surprisingly well and bombing down the hill is the strength of Nomad.
    Any chance you try both..?

Happy Hacker
    Jan 2008
    If those two are what you've limited it down to, I'd look twice on the Nomad.
    That's a well proven, known-to-work, do-it-all bike with a huge fan base.

The Trek is new this season, and the reviews I've read so far (latest one in a mag here in Norway) was average. No big cons, but no big pros either.
    Last edited by jetmotor; 03-26-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Jesus loved the dinosaurs
    I'd say Nomad. You've already test-rode one and know you like it. It's available now. What's the debate? Buy and ride, my friend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can't talk about the Remedy, it looks interesting on paper but even if it does perform great, I don't think it will ever equal the one thing that is great on the Nomad, versatility.

There are plenty of people who have tried all sorts of different shocks on their Nomad (coil, air) and aside from the DHX Air, all shocks seem to perform pretty well. Reading the Pinkbike article leads me to think the Remedy seems to have been designed specifically for an air can with high volume.

This "special" head tube is an interesting concept, but again, another "semi proprietary" design which at least for now, I think Trek being the only one using it. So not that you are stuck with the specific fork and headset the bike comes with but what happens if you want to use a regular fork or headset. The Nomad comes with a regular 1.5 steerer, if you want a 1 1/8 fork then you get the reducers and you can install any fork on the market.

Anyway, this is just my "biased" opinion. I've been riding a Nomad for two years and for the first time in my riding career I'll be starting a third year on the same bike without any kind of envy towards other bikes. Usually I want to change my bike every year or two. Mind you I have a coil and an air shock for my Nomad plus two forks and two sets of wheels so I can enjoy my ride with the same bike on DH and XC rides.

Hope this helps.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Hey Banz...obviously you know I'm sold on the performance of the Nomad, but I was wondering about this new tapered headtube/fork steerer that Trek is coming out with. I'm just speculating here, but I wonder if the bottom of this design is a straight 1.5 setup and the top is a conventional 1.125, as far as the frame's headtube is concerned? If that's the case, couldn't one just install a normal 1.125 fork using the 1.5/1.125 reducer in the bottom of the headtube?...if I'm making any sense here.

Also I swear we had a Specialized in the shop the other day that had this 1.5/1.125 headtube setup. If one could just reduce the bottom of the headtube with a reducer, then perhaps this wouldn't be a proprietary problem. One could just run a normal 1.125 steerer fork. Just daydreaming here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Trek is selling the Remedy as a frame option as well. With the frame only option there is some kind of adaptor is supplied to allow a 1.125" headset to be used in the lower race. Or it is spacer that allows the 1.5" bearing to fit on a normal sized steer tube.

I forget where I read it, on the internet somewhere, so it has to be true. Basically it sounds like a fork with a 1 1/8 steer tube can be used on that frame.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Hey Banz...obviously you know I'm sold on the performance of the Nomad, but I was wondering about this new tapered headtube/fork steerer that Trek is coming out with. I'm just speculating here, but I wonder if the bottom of this design is a straight 1.5 setup and the top is a conventional 1.125, as far as the frame's headtube is concerned? If that's the case, couldn't one just install a normal 1.125 fork using the 1.5/1.125 reducer in the bottom of the headtube?...if I'm making any sense here.

Also I swear we had a Specialized in the shop the other day that had this 1.5/1.125 headtube setup. If one could just reduce the bottom of the headtube with a reducer, then perhaps this wouldn't be a proprietary problem. One could just run a normal 1.125 steerer fork. Just daydreaming here.
    I've heard thats how they're doing it TNC. I do beleive the Spesh stumpy fork and some Fox forks are supposed to have the tapered head tube but I believe they are doing what you suggest when it comes to other fork offerings on those bikes.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    Can't talk about the Remedy, it looks interesting on paper but even if it does perform great, I don't think it will ever equal the one thing that is great on the Nomad, versatility.

There are plenty of people who have tried all sorts of different shocks on their Nomad (coil, air) and aside from the DHX Air, all shocks seem to perform pretty well. Reading the Pinkbike article leads me to think the Remedy seems to have been designed specifically for an air can with high volume.

This "special" head tube is an interesting concept, but again, another "semi proprietary" design which at least for now, I think Trek being the only one using it. So not that you are stuck with the specific fork and headset the bike comes with but what happens if you want to use a regular fork or headset. The Nomad comes with a regular 1.5 steerer, if you want a 1 1/8 fork then you get the reducers and you can install any fork on the market.

Anyway, this is just my "biased" opinion. I've been riding a Nomad for two years and for the first time in my riding career I'll be starting a third year on the same bike without any kind of envy towards other bikes. Usually I want to change my bike every year or two. Mind you I have a coil and an air shock for my Nomad plus two forks and two sets of wheels so I can enjoy my ride with the same bike on DH and XC rides.

Hope this helps.

Hey thanks for your reply....I was wondering what probs you had with the DHX air?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinunit
    Hey thanks for your reply....I was wondering what probs you had with the DHX air?
    I didn't have any because I ordered my Nomad with the FloatR and I bought a Marzo Rocco WC to complement it for DH days!

Go on the SantaCruz forum and search Nomad and DHX Air, you'll find many many posts of people overwhelmed by the performance of their Nomad once they got rid of the DHX air shock. TNC who has posted here can probably pitch in also, I think he had one and he is THE reference as far as shock choices on the Nomad is concerned.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Thanks all....

I have an 08 Nomad X9 build on order....I have a trip to Utah planned in May and the closest LBS said June for the Remedy...it was purely a matter of timing.

I'll have a good look at Remedy this summer (first year of production) get a few demo's and maybe think about it again next summer.

Can't wait for my baby to arrive!!!

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Congrats... You will see Nomad can make you grin ear to ear.
    And as Banzai said, have another set of wheel and tires to cover wider range of riding spectrum from AM to DH.. :-).

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Both rockshox and fox will be doing e2 steer tubes in the near future.

TNC, what you say should be true, to be able to reduce the bottom and run a 1.125 steer all the way.

I'd go VPP over some modified 4 bar horst linkage any day.

I loved my Nomad. You won't regret it for a second.

mtbr member
    Update...

Had a great week in Moab on my 08 Nomad. Last year I had an 06 Kona Coilair.

Rode most of the same trails as last year. Found it took me a bit to get used to the steep grunts of slickrock while dudes on rigids were eating it up. I played with the Lyric a bit and it changed everything. Great fork but I didnt realize quite how much 6 inches would screw up your climbs. The 2-step is so easy to reach down and flick. The mission control for minimal travel (lockout sort of) is really easy too. The 2 position pro-pedal lever on the DHXA is super easy as well. I would say with the right PSI you could stay in full pro-pedal all the time and save the full for DHs. I have a bit of trouble with finding the right seat height because you can climb with it sooo low.

Pointing downhill blew me away. With some high speed compression adjustment on the fork out of the way, I was surprised at the true AIR feel compared to my old Kona. But one thing is for sure...the NEVEGALS have got to go.

I have a large and my brother rides an 06 medium. He said the large fits him way better but his medium seemed to climb waaaay better. Its a tough call on the Nomad sizing.

Then back to Canada and I rode some mixed terrain including mud and roots (again the NEVEGALS have got to go immediately). The bike felt different here and I adjusted a few things again. Immediate noticeable efficency with the Nomad.

Really happy with the bike and its only gonna get better with familiarity. Really happy with the bike but I almost cry with new scratches and bashes. My first whipe out is gonna devastate me. Oh well

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just got back from Moab too, only my ride is the 08' Moment, I had a tough time deciding between the Moment and the Nomad with a 1.5 fork. I got a better deal on the Moment cause I have a buddy that works at Ells so I made the plunge.

The Nomad is a sexy bike and I have only heard good things about the ride. Good luck with it and hope love it.

I don't think my Nevegals slipped once on slickrock while climing in or out of the saddle. Might try tire pressure although I am sure you have your tire of choice for local riding anyhow.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

http://blog.cyclng.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools
    I just got back from Moab too, only my ride is the 08' Moment, I had a tough time deciding between the Moment and the Nomad with a 1.5 fork. I got a better deal on the Moment cause I have a buddy that works at Ells so I made the plunge.

The Nomad is a sexy bike and I have only heard good things about the ride. Good luck with it and hope love it.

I don't think my Nevegals slipped once on slickrock while climing in or out of the saddle. Might try tire pressure although I am sure you have your tire of choice for local riding anyhow.

^Wicked...I have a buddy with the Moment...awesome choice either way!!...actually you're right...it's not so much the Nevegals that got me down...I prefer fatties over 2.35's any day...so i'll likely move to 2.5's

What did you ride? We did Slickrock, Bartlet Wash, LPS-Porcupine, LPS-Porcupine 4X4-Fins n Things (twice) and Sovereign / Salt Wash...I only had a few days this year...but any day is a good day there...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    2.5! That is pretty large for a rear tire. It was my first trip to Moab and it was short. We rode Amasaback on Friday afternoon and Slickrock Saturday morning, we were the first riders on and off the trail, it was really nice. We didn't see one person until we caught the main trail back to the trailhead after the loop. Can't wait to go back. Good luck with the Nomad, very nice bike!
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

http://blog.cyclng.com/

squish is good
    I demand pictures!!! You can't post an update about your new bike without pics!
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinunit
    Update...

Had a great week in Moab on my 08 Nomad. Last year I had an 06 Kona Coilair.

Rode most of the same trails as last year. Found it took me a bit to get used to the steep grunts of slickrock while dudes on rigids were eating it up. I played with the Lyric a bit and it changed everything. Great fork but I didnt realize quite how much 6 inches would screw up your climbs. The 2-step is so easy to reach down and flick. The mission control for minimal travel (lockout sort of) is really easy too. The 2 position pro-pedal lever on the DHXA is super easy as well. I would say with the right PSI you could stay in full pro-pedal all the time and save the full for DHs. I have a bit of trouble with finding the right seat height because you can climb with it sooo low.

Pointing downhill blew me away. With some high speed compression adjustment on the fork out of the way, I was surprised at the true AIR feel compared to my old Kona. But one thing is for sure...the NEVEGALS have got to go.

I have a large and my brother rides an 06 medium. He said the large fits him way better but his medium seemed to climb waaaay better. Its a tough call on the Nomad sizing.

Then back to Canada and I rode some mixed terrain including mud and roots (again the NEVEGALS have got to go immediately). The bike felt different here and I adjusted a few things again. Immediate noticeable efficency with the Nomad.

Really happy with the bike and its only gonna get better with familiarity. Really happy with the bike but I almost cry with new scratches and bashes. My first whipe out is gonna devastate me. Oh well
    '

What didn't you like about the Nevegal's? I was considering getting a pair.

mtbr member
    You're right...how rude to tell and not show....Quick photo...sorry no action shots yet (too busy riding )
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oh yeah...
    Swapped RF Atlas Low risers for Deity Dirty 30's
    MRP bashguard
    Crank Bros. 50/50 Pedals