mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Nomad vs. Reign xo vs. ironhorse 6point8 vs. intense 6.6??

Just wanted to get any advice or suggestions anybody may have on which frame to get. I'm looking to keep the build to no more than 33lbs and have everything I need except a frame. I prefer slacker headangles but the bike will still need to be able to survive 2 plus hour xc/trail rides. any thoughts??????????????

mtbr member
    6.6 isn't slacker. Can that option. The 6.8 is a little slacker, but is still not particularly so. So that leaves the Nomad and the Reign X (out of the options you listed). I think the Nomad's chainstays are too long, but the X isn't a whole lot better. So if it were me, I'd take the X out of the options that you listed, but I'd look elsewhere too.

Other thoughts: the 6.8 uses a 150mm rear hub and a 83mm BB. Stiff, but hub and crank options are limited. Keep that in mind. Try to ride as many of 'em as you can. People seem to either really like the Nomad, or think it just feels plain wrong. Like me. You may very well like it though. Plenty of happy owners out there. It seems to be a polarizing bike, with few people on the fence. I havn't ridden a Reign X, but I'm really impressed with the regular Reign. Really nice bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Plenty of happy owners out there.
    Like me. Go for the nomad. Test it first. I really like mine.
    Trek T1 . MOJO SL 2011 Fox 32 Talas 1X10 FTW

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    I second HAB. 6.6 doesn't seems slack to me, some people said it's more XC-ish than FR, being AM in the middle.
    From the number, with same fork size the order will be ReignX/Nomad-6point8-6.6 from the slackest. You may want to also see Aug MBR (Brit) magazine comparing six 6" travel bikes where Reign X and IH 6point were on review. (other were Spesh Enduro, RM Slayer SXC, Pace and Fusion)
    My buddy rides 6point8 and I feel the steering is quick on singletrack, stable enough on descent, planted on climbing. I rides Nomad though.

TJT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Actually the MBR review featured a regular Reign, not the X.

numpty
    Jul 2007
    i took my X0 around Cannock Chase XC course (staffordshire. uk) over the weekend and was really impressed. Its all stock parts, large frame. Ive got to admit, i thought it would be much much heavier than it is ( i was imagining it'd be the same ballpark as my mates VP Free/66RC2x build) but it feels perfectly manageable even with the 2.35 Barracudas on there. Light enough to sling over a shoulder when the legs stop working.

The front end had a tendency to wander on awkward climbs, but thats being really picky and in all honesty that probably because im a) big, heavy and unfit and b) still learning how to get the shocks dialled in. I found it much easier to pedal around the course than the fs hardtail i rented the last time i did the course... and its a ton more fun too as it picks up speed and accelerates really well.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TJT
    Actually the MBR review featured a regular Reign, not the X.
    My bad. You're correct, so Nomad should be the slackest of the 6 I believe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider
    My bad. You're correct, so Nomad should be the slackest of the 6 I believe.
    The Nomad and Reign X have the same 67 degree HT angle.

mtbr member
    I have a 6.6 and really like it. Very trail-worthy without compromising the steep, fast down hill stability much at all. I have a Van36 on there which gives it a 68 deg HA I believe. (Diclaimer: I like quick handling bikes and my other bike is a HH100x with 71 deg HA)

Might consider the new Titus El Guapo as well. It's a little slacker (67 deg measured) and has a little lower BB so it still rails the corners. From what I hear it climbs well and handles the tight stuff too.

Hard to go wrong with the others either.

mtbr member
    What fork was on that El Guapo that was measured @ 67 degrees? Titus claims 68. They don't say what fork that's with, but they picture it with a 36.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    go for the 6point. it will be able to do those xc rides but still be able to do the descents very well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by badfink
    i took my X0 around Cannock Chase XC course (staffordshire. uk) over the weekend and was really impressed. Its all stock parts, large frame. Ive got to admit, i thought it would be much much heavier than it is ( i was imagining it'd be the same ballpark as my mates VP Free/66RC2x build) but it feels perfectly manageable even with the 2.35 Barracudas on there. Light enough to sling over a shoulder when the legs stop working.

The front end had a tendency to wander on awkward climbs, but thats being really picky and in all honesty that probably because im a) big, heavy and unfit and b) still learning how to get the shocks dialled in. I found it much easier to pedal around the course than the fs hardtail i rented the last time i did the course... and its a ton more fun too as it picks up speed and accelerates really well.
    Climbing on a Reign X - yeah with the fixed travel Fox 36 160mm it's not ideal for steep climbs (although not exactly bad - I'm a decent climber and my X1 will go up almost everything my XC bike will clear), so a Talas, Lyrik etc might be a bit better for the XC stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The new 08 Banshee Rune is kind of interesting also, very close geometry and design to the Nomad...

Now with More Wood
    I'll just throw in the Enduro SL for you to consider as well - 67 degree head tube angle, very nice downhill handling, and pedals great (travel adjust 110-150mm on the fork, and a descent pedalling platform although no lockout). sub-33 pound build with reliability should not be an issue. Its probably a bit snappier than a Nomad (shorter). Get an 07 if you still can - Spesh had a collective brain meltdown and smacked $700 onto RRP for 08....
    Last edited by Iceman2058; 08-20-2007 at 02:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    What fork was on that El Guapo that was measured @ 67 degrees? Titus claims 68. They don't say what fork that's with, but they picture it with a 36.
    They also claim a 13.8" bb but most people are measuring around 13.25.

Can't find the thread right now but there were a couple of different people over in the Titus forum who measured 66.5--67.0 on the EG with pretty normal forks (Van36, 66SL, etc). YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One thing about the Nomad it really shines w/ a coil shock so add 1lb. to the total weight. The 6.5" travel seems mushy, when off the power, with an air shock.