mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Nomad vs Bronson vs Stumpy 29-er evo

Hi All,

I currently own an aging Nomad but I can't really imagine a better bike. I'm a very aggressive all mountain rider that does occasional shuttle and bike park runs too. The idea of some enduro racing is also appealing as I raced a bit of DH in the past.
    I'm getting older and my rides are getting longer and a little more XC but I still seek out tech terrain.

It's time for a new steed. Anyone have any constructive thoughts regarding those three bikes? I know it's all three wheel sizes in question
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Get a Bronson if you like your Nomad. They feel very similar. Your learning curve will be shorter on the new bike, and it will feel more like home. The Stumpy is a good bike, but will have a very different feel to the rear end due to the suspension. It also will have more wheel flex due to the longer spokes. Some downplay that fact, but it is most definitely a factor to consider.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Get a Bronson if you like your Nomad. They feel very similar. Your learning curve will be shorter on the new bike, and it will feel more like home. The Stumpy is a good bike, but will have a very different feel to the rear end due to the suspension. It also will have more wheel flex due to the longer spokes. Some downplay that fact, but it is most definitely a factor to consider.
    +1 for the Bronson

1 of the best bikes I ever had.

Just Ride

Nomad vs Bronson vs Stumpy 29-er evo

I raced my Bronson this weekend in a All Mountain Challenge that consisted of a very rough XC race with about 2000 ft. of climbing in 13.5 miles and a Super D of 5.5 miles. Both on the same day. This bike shines, I set PRs on both courses compared to last year when I raced my Blur TRc. It really is a great all around bike!

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    One more for the nomad-to-bronson migration, bokdoos. I was riding a first-gen alum nomad with a 66 and a coil dhx before I got my bronson. I knew it would pedal way better, but was a little concerned I'd be trading off a lot in the steep gnar and tech. But it's turning out to be a way burlier, more capable bike than I expected. And it jumps better, too.

Kept the old nomad for whistler; but I'd ride just about anything else on the bronson.

mtbr member
    Big fan of the enduro over here too. The added stiffness over the stumpy makes it better in technical terrain, which I ride a lot of.

I really love 26" wheels. The only thing I like better than 26" wheels is 275 wheels...

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks guys. Leaning hard towards the Bronson. I have a pretty brand new Fox 36 Talas that I put on the Nomad. Anyone have any experience throwing that fork on a Bronson. I can't seem to find any definitive info on the clearance issue. It would be nice to save some $$'s on parts with the new build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just replaced my Carbon Nomad with another Carbon Nomad. The 2013 (gen 2.1) model is most definitely an upgrade from the 2011 (gen 1). I rode the Bronson at a Santa Cruz demo day and don't get me wrong it was great. But for me it wasn't a game changer. I to am more of an All Mtn. rider, usually on rough alpine trails. I like the quickness and agility of the 26" wheel over the rolling prowess of the 27.5. Geometry on the Bronson and Nomad are very similar. Head angles being the same and build weights being super close as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So after test riding a regular stumpy 29-er and setting PR's going up and down I went for the 2014 Stumpy Expert EVO 29.
    I'm a bigger guy and the bigger wheels actually just seem right for me. I can't honestly see my Nomad getting a lot of use except at the bike park. The new bike just does everything better on a trail.....including tech stuff. It may not be quite as nimble and you do feel the wheels flex more. The bike seems to require some new riding technique but it's undeniably faster than my Nomad in every way. It even jumps quite well which was a surprise. Not proper dirt jumps that I would hit on my HT dirt jumper but rather long and low/ step down DH style jumps. The big front wheel spinning keeps the bike very stable in the air at speed.The adjustment period has been surprisingly fast.
    Another factor is that I've purchased two SC bikes in the past and both times I had a very negative customer experience with them so I thought it was time to support another Cali based brand.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I demo'ed a Bronson a couple months back. Not a bad bike at all but nothing special, which is exactly what the Evo 29" is IMO. The best bike Specialized has ever made and the best all-round mountain bike I've ever ridden.

The wheel flex can be an issue for bigger guys but some carbon Rovals can sort that out (for a price!). Luckily I'm 5'8" and 150lbs

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Good call on the Stumpy! I got a 2013 stumpy expert evo 26 this spring; I just got the stumpy expert evo 29 for 2014. First ride out on it I broke several of my best times (and some by others) on my local trails. I've blasted through rock gardens, aired out natural step downs into chunder, and hit an awkward 8' drop on the local trails. The bigwheel tackles it all and still goes uphill just dandy.

mtbr member
    Carbon Nomad!
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I've got a Stumpy with a Bronson coming. The Stumpy is very fast. I noticed that when I ride with a couple of folks who own a solo and a bronson who are much better riders than I. I'll blast through rocky terrain and spit out of berms quite a bit faster/generally roll down hills faster. My stumpy is the mid range Comp Carbon with the only upgrade being some CB Iodine 3's and a nice carbon bar. I'll be keeping my Stumpy for sure. It's a different kind of bike. (Non EVO) I don't race though nor time myself on any runs so won't be able to say which one I'm quicker on. My purchasing decisions are never based on speed. Always fun factor. I'm sure you'll have fun on your Spec Enduro. I was tossing up between the Sworks Enduro and the Bronson XX1 spec with ENVE's and in the end went with the Bronson. So many awesome bikes on the market now, I think it's hard to go wrong.