Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    dmo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Nomad or SB6c for NE trail riding?

I'm considering either a Nomad or Yeti SB6c for aggressive trail riding in New England. I have to pedal up hill to get to the downhill stuff. I know they are both great bikes but which would you pick and why? I'm 5'6" so would likely get a small frame in either.

LCW
    mtbr member
    look at the geo for each, you should consider a M Nomac and S SB6c
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    x2... med Nomad. btw, id get the Nomad.
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

dmo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've kinda been leaning towards the Nomad, but medium? I figured small would fit better. I like the shorter top tube and reach with probably a 50mm stem. I'm 5'6", 28" instead and short upper body.

Trying to decide between the blue and pink frame or all black. I like the blue but it seems a bit loud and screams look at me.

Dissolved member
    I'd say either bike is an overkill for NE technical short ascent / short descent trails. I'd get a Bronson or even 5010 / SB5c instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    I've kinda been leaning towards the Nomad, but medium? I figured small would fit better. I like the shorter top tube and reach with probably a 50mm stem. I'm 5'6", 28" instead and short upper body.

Trying to decide between the blue and pink frame or all black. I like the blue but it seems a bit loud and screams look at me.
    for your height, SC recommends a Med for you. that, with a short stem, would probably fit you perfect

but can you demo one?

get black if you dont want to stand out
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    I'd say either bike is an overkill for NE technical short ascent / short descent trails. I'd get a Bronson or even 5010 / SB5c instead.
    this maybe a good idea too.
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    +1 for Bronson. Best one I tried on short descent trails.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What's worse, too much bike for the trails you ride or not enough?

To be honest, I probably may only go to a bike park 1-2x all year. I don't do big drops. They freak me out. Maybe I just don't have the right bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    SB6c. what else could there be?

EMBA Member
    Looking at the geometry of the new Nomad it looks IMO more of like at least a Enduro bike or pretty close to a DH bike. I have a couple of friends that love their Yeti. When I went looking for a technical trail bike I looked for a 67 to 68 degree head angle. Still do a reasonable amount of downhill but still be able to climb well to get to the top. I also went with 27.5" tires for rolling. Demo everything you can.
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race" H.G. Wells

mtbr member

To be honest, I probably may only go to a bike park 1-2x all year. I don't do big drops. They freak me out. Maybe I just don't have the right bike.
    id buy for what you ride most, and then rent a park bike twice a year
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    id buy for what you ride most, and then rent a park bike twice a year
    Yeah, I like that idea.
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race" H.G. Wells

mtbr member

Nomad or SB6c for NE trail riding?

If you're set on a longer travel bike consider the Mach 6. Plenty of reviews from NE folks and even nomad comparisons. The shorter stays and wheel base will make it more agile for the tighter NE trails. If you're riding Lynn woods I'd rather be over biked but a Yeti SB5c has a nice slackish head angle for descending stability compared to the bikes of a few years ago in the same travel range.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz just held a demo at Pittsfield State Forest in western Mass. Check their website and see where they are heading next and maybe try a Nomad out. The rep said he was going to be in the NH area wednesday and would be riding Highland on Thursday. Maybe you can catch a demo in that area.

mtbr member

What have you been riding recently? Are you happy with it? Do you want to progress and hit more drops or are you happy just getting out and riding a kickass bike. Where in NE do you ride most?

I ride an Ibis HDR and it makes a great NE trail bike. Slack but not too slack, just enough travel IMO, a bit heavy and overbuilt, but I like that as I do hit some drops. Not the biggest ones, but I'll drop most anything chest height and smaller.

I haven't ridden the Nomad, but the geo seems maybe a bit DHish for southern NE. I think if you're looking at something like a bronson, mach 6, SB6, HDR, or something similar you're going to be fine. They are all incredible bikes compared to stuff from a few years ago.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    I haven't ridden the Nomad, but the geo seems maybe a bit DHish for southern NE. I think if you're looking at something like a bronson, mach 6, SB6, HDR, or something similar you're going to be fine. They are all incredible bikes compared to stuff from a few years ago.
    ^ This man knows his stuff. Btw. I ride a 650b Mojo HD, it is a bit overbuilt for most trails I ride in Mass / NH, but at least I do not break stuff when I am not exactly smooth. I am not in a hurry to replace my beloved HD, but if I was, I would look at the Bronson, M6 or the new mysterious Ibis bike, or maybe the new uber-mysterious Turner bike.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    What's new and mysterious from Turner? I thought he gave up on the 150-160mm bike market.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    What's new and mysterious from Turner? I thought he gave up on the 150-160mm bike market.
    No one knows, really. Some say, a 27.5 carbon RFX. Some say, a new long legged 29er. See the Turner forum.

mtbr member
    if youre hitting chest high stuff on a reg basis, id get a Nomad. a lesser bike if hitting smaller stuff

if your suspension keeps bottoming out when you do drops or hit jumps, youll probably ruin your frame over time
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What's wrong with saving some money and getting the SB66? If you're not competitively racing then who really gives a crap about wheel size.

I think the Bronson is a better choice for a New England trail bike. I'm same height as you and a medium Bronson fit me perfect when I tried it out. I ride a medium norco sight carbon and it's a perfect size for me with a 50mm stem.

I was out in whistler this summer for 2 weeks and there were a lot of guys out there ripping the bike park on the new nomads. If the majority of your riding are just trails with small drops and smaller jumps than the nomad will be overkill. I'm a firm believer in having the right tool for the job. Rent a dh/freeride bike for the 1 or 2 days you ride lift service.

mtbr member
    SC frames run small so if you normally take a small, a medium SC would be appropriate. I usually take a medium frame at 5'11" but fit a large SC quite well.

mtbr member
    Im 5'11" too and the large SC frames fit me great, which is what they recommend
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    they don't really sell sb66's any more, but if you can find one that'd be AWESOME!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm guessing you live somewhere around the boston area, if you do go to JRA Cycles in Medford. They're a yeti dealer and they have a few of the sb66's still around, marked down too! One of my buddies I ride with rides one and absolutely loves it! Even rides it at Highland sometime too when he doesn't want to ride his DH bike.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast