Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nomad or Moment

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Nomad or Moment

One of my riding buddies is after a new bike and he's narrowed it down to two
    1-Santa Cruz Nomad
    2-Ellsworth Moment
    He's not sure which one would be the better bike to get.The Moment is heavier and the rear end works a different way to the Nomad's but they pedal so well and the finish on them is superb.The Nomad has half an inch more travel on the rear but would that really be noticeable.The type of riding he does is more freeride than anything,he needs a bike that he can pedal up the hills as well as blast down them,doesn't really do any bigger drops than about 3 to 4 foot.
    So come on guys which do you think would be the one for him

mtbr member
    Sounds like both bikes would be good. I just sold my old RFX and bought a Nomad and am very happy. The Nomad has better geometry for the kind of riding that I enjoy. I have never bought a bike and felt instantly comfortable, the first day on it. Also, it is fairly easy to build a relatively light Nomad.

I don't know why your friend has narrowed it down to just two choices. There are a lot of really good all mountain bikes out there right now. Make sure he takes his time before deciding and even tries to demo or ride friend's bikes.

The Nomad is just my opinion. I think that different bikes fit different people's body structure better.

VooDoo user.
    Tel him to wait and check out the NEW TITUS El Guapo. Its a 6.5" trail bike that looks to be pretty bad A$$.
    I Currently own a MOMENT and love it. BUT, I'm realy looking forward to checking out the TITUS.
    As far as the Nomad..... Its a sick bike but I'm just not a fan of VPP.

If he needs a bike now tell him to get either a Turner RFX or the MOMENT.

Just my .02

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Am/ Fr

At considerable risk of starting the nine-billionth thread on defining "all-mountain" I have to ask about a perceived contradiction:

If you are only talking 3-4 foot drops, you may want to consider a lighter 5" travel bike. Nomad and Moment are indeed sweet "freeride"-ish bikes, but what you are describing sounds more like "agressive cross country" or "light All-mountain" and may be better served by a 5.5, 575, X5, etc.

Ariolimax columbianus

Nomad is a do it all...

believe the hype.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Both are great bikes, but I couldn't get comfortable on the Moment. I was inbetween a Lg and Md. Have your friend try out a Moment and see if he fits the frame. I ended up with a Lg. Nomad and I've been very happy with it. Oh yeah, I concur with Nativeson, Believe the Hype, it's an amazing climber to.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=heavyg]At considerable risk of starting the nine-billionth thread on defining "all-mountain" I have to ask about a perceived contradiction:[QUOTE]

With the weight of some of today's "all mountain" bikes does the amount of travel even matter anymore? I know that I will probably be tar'd and feathered for even writing this, but if you had your choice between a 32 pound 5 inch bike or a 32 pound 6.5 inch bike what would you choose? I think more riders would rather own a bike with more travel than not enough. That way, when riding and confidence improve you won't be out at the LBS buying the 6.5 inch travel bike that you could have bought 6 months ago.

Too Much Fun

True that...

Quote Originally Posted by nativeson
    believe the hype.
    I'm amazed with the Nomad on every single ride. Its too hype. While I haven't spent qaulity time on a Moment, I've ridden HL/4/faux bar bikes of different flavors and none did it for me.
    - -benja- -

TNC
    noMAD man

Alright!, heat up the tar!

[QUOTE=Bonz][QUOTE=heavyg]At considerable risk of starting the nine-billionth thread on defining "all-mountain" I have to ask about a perceived contradiction:

With the weight of some of today's "all mountain" bikes does the amount of travel even matter anymore? I know that I will probably be tar'd and feathered for even writing this, but if you had your choice between a 32 pound 5 inch bike or a 32 pound 6.5 inch bike what would you choose? I think more riders would rather own a bike with more travel than not enough. That way, when riding and confidence improve you won't be out at the LBS buying the 6.5 inch travel bike that you could have bought 6 months ago.
    LOL!...actually Bonz, I think that's pretty good logic and probably the thinking that drew most of us to these 6", or so, type bikes...and also why most of us are still happy with them. OK boys...take the tar off the fire.

mtbr member

On The Fence With Nomad Also

I HOPE I DON'T REGRET THIS AS I NEVER EVER POST(WE'LL THERE WAS THIS ONE TIME)BUT I LIVE ON THIS FORUM READING ALL THE VERY VERY GOOD INFO AND FEED BACK YOU GUYS HAVE TO OFFER. I MUST SAY THAT I TOO AM ON THE FENCE WITH THE VP STUFF.HAVING JUST FINISHED BUILDING A VERY PRICEY AND BAD AS$ TURNER 6 PACK,I'M JUST NOT THAT THRILLED WHEN I RIDE IT. AND I HATE THE WEIGHT.EVEN THOUGH THE UPGRADE TO A C.C.D.B. WAS GREAT,I'M JUST NOT FEELING IT, FOR LACK OF A BETTER TERM.I ALSO OWN A WAY SICK 39 POUND BOMB PROOF ALUTECH HARD RIDE 1.5 (7INCH ROCKER BIKE)GO TO PINK BIKE LINKS ALUTECH BIKE OR I THINK WWW.ALUTECH BIKES.COM ANYWAY MY POINT IS THE 39 POUND ALUTECH PEDELS AND FEELS LIKE ITS ALOT LIGHTER,AND TAKES BIG DROPS ALL DAY LONG (20 PLUS)GO TO WWW.DIESELBIKES.COM A.K.A CRAZY FRED. I JUST LIKE THE SOUND OF A 29 TO 31 POUND VP BIKE.IS THERE ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT?AND ONE OF MY CLOSE FREINDS WAS HARD CORE HL TURNER FAN,AND JUST SOLD HIS 5 SPOT AND 6 PACK FOR A 6.6 AND A 5.5 AND HE IS HOOKED HARD. ANYWAY I'M SURE THE TURNER BOYS ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS POST.AND SORRY IF MY TYPING IS NOT UP TO PAR,THE LAST TIME I POSTED ON HERE IT TURN INTO THIS HUGE MONSTER POST WENT ON FOR SIX WEEKS 6,000 VIEWS AND OVER I THINK 400 REPLIES. I JUST WANT THE BEST BIKE THERE IS FOR ME AND RIGHT NOW ITS NOT THE 6 PACK THANKS GUYS.........RIDE ON>>>>>

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey Fred, Your typing is ok, but try not to type with the caps on. Man, you are going to hear it from the Homer nation. LOL! I used to have a 6-Pack and I am on a Chumba Evo now. The Evo feels a little easier to pedal around on and it is around the same weight as my Pack was, at 35-36lbs.

You could get a lighter wheelset and rubber for the Pack, which would save a few pounds. Rolling resistance makes a big difference when trail riding and most of a bikes weight is in the wheels and tires.

There is nothing wrong with trying out a VP bike. Just remember, the Nomad frame is almost exactly the same weight as a Pack/RFX. It has more to do with the parts that are on the bike, than frame weight of the frame itself. The Nomad does pedal well, but the Pack is a good trail bike also. I am still leary of VPP bike myself, but the proof is in the pudding and there a whole bunch of happy Nomad and 6.6 riders out there right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Welcome back Fred! I'm not sure if the Nomad will take your monster drops, maybe a VP Free or Intense VPX?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Buy the one that looks cooler.

Really, about that comment on a 6.5 inch travel frame vs. 5 inch frame for the same weight....
    You are dumb. Buy the one that suits your terrain. Unless you are doing huge gaps, hucks to flat, etc, there is no way that you will need 6.5.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, but I just don't understand how on the Santa Cruz site (bike builder) you can put together a as light as 28 to 31 pound Nomad xo kit rp23 rear shock nixon front shock just for example.Also those monster drops you speak of seem to be a thing of the past,at least so far this season.I'm having a really hard time this year.I had surgery this past Feb.and didn't get on a bike until May.I've got like 20 min. of footage for this years video,where I should have at least a couple of hours,and I haven't gone off anything bigger than a curb thus far. If I decide to step it up I've got untill The end of Sept. till the video wraps up.If not i don't really care,I just don't have the desiere to throw my self of of stupid sh#t this year.I just want to ride.Anyway If I do want to go big I've got the Alutech. I'm on a mission for the sickest trail bike. Light Nomad or 6.6 or 5.5 if Ifind vp is where its at if not 5 spot Moto light(depending on what happens to Titus with Chris gone) Ibis Mojo,it goes on and on and on,I have got the bug bad.(I've been mountain biking for 18 years)21 pound kleins in the late eights to this. What ever it is I'll wait till Oct. Interbike. Thanks again guys.

TNC
    noMAD man

Sorry Bonz...

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero

Really, about that comment on a 6.5 inch travel frame vs. 5 inch frame for the same weight....
    You are dumb. Buy the one that suits your terrain. Unless you are doing huge gaps, hucks to flat, etc, there is no way that you will need 6.5.
    This Zero guy says we heat up the tar again. "You are dumb"??? Nice discussion tactic on a subject that is definitely subjective. Zero, you are certainly entitled to your opinion about the travel amount on bikes...and so is Bonz...and so am I. I can rationalize where you're coming from on your opinion, but I disagree with you. I've owned a whole bunch of full suspension bikes over the years ranging from 2" max travel all the way to over 7". The current 33lb., 6.5" travel bike I ride now allows me to do more than the shorter travel bikes in the 5" range that I've owned or ridden...and no...I'm not doing huge gaps. This is my opinion...you disagree...you are not dumb...and neither am I.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    First, don't believe the hype. Why, because it's hype.
    Second, I have a Nomad and like it a lot, more even than I expected.
    Third, he should ride both.
    2 wheels

long standing member

Sorry, taking it OT

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    I MUST SAY THAT I TOO AM ON THE FENCE WITH THE VP STUFF.HAVING JUST FINISHED BUILDING A VERY PRICEY AND BAD AS$ TURNER 6 PACK,I'M JUST NOT THAT THRILLED WHEN I RIDE IT. AND I HATE THE WEIGHT.EVEN THOUGH THE UPGRADE TO A C.C.D.B. WAS GREAT,I'M JUST NOT FEELING IT, FOR LACK OF A BETTER TERM
    You're not the first person to express these sentiments. IIRC there are a few guys that switched from a Pack/RFX to a VPP bike (Turtle 1 and Aappling come to mind). Other than weight (which possibly could be remedied with some component exchanges) what don't you like about the Pack's ride/handling?

Have you thought about converting your RFX to a 5 Pack? That would involve swapping in the 5" Spot rockers and swingarm. It would give you a slightly lighter frame, a lower leverage ratio and potentially better performance. Plus a more "trail-bike" like feel. There is lots of good info about this on the Turner forum, do search on it and you'll have reading material for days.

Regarding the Turner forum and your "infamous" post, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty new in that forum, but I got the sense that your post really threw them for a loop. In a way, I think it made some of them realize that sometimes they take things a little too seriously. And I think you put some of them in their place, and that was actually a good thing for that forum. I guarantee that if you hung around that forum you'd see that there are some pretty decent and knowledgeble guys over there. And if you started posting, that you would be welcome with open arms. No joke, and I'm not trying to be e-gay or anything.

Good luck with your bike decision and I'm sure I'll see you around.

Patrick

Knomer
    To put it simply....the Nomad will pedal a little better than the Moment, and the Moment will have slightly better traction than the Nomad. You can't go wrong with either. Hell, ride one for 6 months, sell it on ebay, then ride the other and tell us what you think.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    get a Chumba EVO!! it pedals really well..

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero

Nobody needs 6.5" but they might well prefer it. I probably only need 4" travel for most of my riding, but I ride a 6" travel bike because I can
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    5 Pack could be what you're looking for CF mine comes in at 6.9lb with a DHX-A, lower BB, same headangle as a Pack, snappier feel to the pedals, works really nicely on all kinds of trails and still tougher than most.

I've tried a VPP 5.5 and while it climbed well and was very efficient, think ubber fast xc rig, I found it lacking as an all rounder compared to a 5 Spot or similar. The steep head angle for a 5.5" bike just didn't work for me and on the real steeps once you hit the rear brake the back extends pushing the front forks even lower in their travel making it feel real nervous. Great fast xc bike though, one other thing with the VPP frames don't expect to get a real big tyre in and have any mud room left over, Turner does that really well on all his frames.

Good luck finding the right ride, it might be worth getting a few test rides before making a switch.
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

Team Sanchez
    Hey Crazy Fred, I just went to the Alutech website. Something disturbs me about their Freeride frame: The 3.6 to 1 leverage ratio in the 7 inch configuration! And I thought the 6-pack was bad at 3:1. A guy your size is gonna blow thru the travel, like he was on a Costco Motiv!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    .... Hell, ride one for 6 months, sell it on ebay, then ride the other and tell us what you think.
    Sounds like what I would do
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Hell, ride one for 6 months, sell it on ebay, then ride the other and tell us what you think.
    He probably doesn't want to throw away his money!
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    You're not the first person to express these sentiments. IIRC there are a few guys that switched from a Pack/RFX to a VPP bike (Turtle 1 and Aappling come to mind). Other than weight (which possibly could be remedied with some component exchanges) what don't you like about the Pack's ride/handling?

Have you thought about converting your RFX to a 5 Pack? That would involve swapping in the 5" Spot rockers and swingarm. It would give you a slightly lighter frame, a lower leverage ratio and potentially better performance. Plus a more "trail-bike" like feel. There is lots of good info about this on the Turner forum, do search on it and you'll have reading material for days.

Regarding the Turner forum and your "infamous" post, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty new in that forum, but I got the sense that your post really threw them for a loop. In a way, I think it made some of them realize that sometimes they take things a little too seriously. And I think you put some of them in their place, and that was actually a good thing for that forum. I guarantee that if you hung around that forum you'd see that there are some pretty decent and knowledgeble guys over there. And if you started posting, that you would be welcome with open arms. No joke, and I'm not trying to be e-gay or anything.

Good luck with your bike decision and I'm sure I'll see you around.

Patrick
    Good suggestions PC.

You state that aappling switched. He did, and is now back to the RFX.
    Nothing to see here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast