Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Nomad / 6.6 / 6 Pack

it's time to start figuring my path. i am looking for 6", 30 - 32 lbs., good climbing, good everything...hell, i am in the AM forum. i don't hit dh trails, although a stout ride may make me ballsy...
    going to start w/ a frame and find some good parts package later. any spec info. would help.

here in the phx valley...rocky and technical.
    travel to co, ca, all over az, so i'll encounter multiple types of terrain.

give me the dirt, especially anyone who has ridden the triad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

well,,,,,,,,,,,

I rode these three back to back at interbike last year and my favorite was the 6 pack from Turner. I felt they all were capable descenders but the Pack was silky smooth over rocky narly climbing. Where the other two had some pedal feedback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If your not hitting DH trails much you may want to stick with a 5-5.75" travel bike. The difference in climbing is noticable. Better all-around in my mind. I went to 6+ and now back to 5 and I ride a lot of Dh stuff but climb it all first and still pound with the club rides. I have ridden all over as you mentioned above on a SC Heckler (5.6") and it worked great ( for me) I would try to demo something first, you may like th 6"+ better. It just felt a bit slow for me (except on the DH). Im now on a X5 (5")

mtbr member
    Having always been a fan of Intense (never ridden one but i have seen one once) and always thought that Turners looked nice but weren't anything special (again never ridden one and never even seen one in real life) and now owning a Santa Cruz Nomad i can confidently and completly unbiasedly say:

Go for the Nomad!

Nothing here
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au
    Having always been a fan of Intense (never ridden one but i have seen one once) and always thought that Turners looked nice but weren't anything special (again never ridden one and never even seen one in real life) and now owning a Santa Cruz Nomad i can confidently and completly unbiasedly say:

Go for the Nomad!
    Dude, how can you "unbiasedly" say to go for the Nomad? You haven't even ridden the Intense or the Turner? You're judging the performance of a Turner based on how it looks? That absurd. You should try one sometime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Those were the trio I was looking at this year, after hourssssssssssssss, daysssssss, heck even months of research, I finally decided on the Nomad. I have not tried the 6.6 or 6pack but my previous ride had a "similar" suspension to the 6pack.

I'm sure any of these three will make you happy. It's a few minor details that will decide in favor of one or the other, no matter what some people will be saying. And, in my opinion, looks is one of those "minor" detail! haha

I'll give you an example of what I call a "detail". On the Nomad they have a beefy rear derailleur dropout, I happen to like that but other people prefer what I call a flimsy derailleur hanger! Another detail, Marzocchi does not make the Rocco shock length for the 6.6, that was major for me because I wanted a Rocco while many others don't care at all. Another one, the Nomad has a "relatively" low bottom bracket and my previous ride had about the same as the 6pack which for me felt a bit too high.

Ho and by the way, in my opinion again, you can almost discard most of the feedback you'll get that VPP is way better or way worse then the 4bar suspension. My previous ride was a pure well designed horst link/ICT and my Nomad is a pure well designed VPP. Pedal feedback, braking performance, plushness, it's not completely hype, but I consider it certainly in the minor detail category!

Hope this helps a bit!

TNC
    noMAD man
    Flip a coin. I don't think you can screw this one up. The Nomad has an amazing balance of climbing and descending capabilities, and it's what I went with. The other two are way better than a sharp stick in the eye...LOL!

not so super...
    FWIW - the RFX will be slightly heavier due to it's heavier construction. Fairly tough to get a 30lb RFX with a component pick that is worthy of a 6" travel frame.

Pick on geometry and fit and don't worry about weight so much - yet

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit350
    it's time to start figuring my path. i am looking for 6", 30 - 32 lbs., good climbing, good everything...hell, i am in the AM forum. i don't hit dh trails, although a stout ride may make me ballsy...
    going to start w/ a frame and find some good parts package later. any spec info. would help.

if you don't do any serious DH you don't need 6" rear travel, probably don't even need 5" rear travel.

a 30 lbs 6-Pack wouldn't be worth your while, if you want 30 lbs then get a 5-Spot.

if you want light weight you need to look at single pivot

why are you looking at bikes with 6" or more of rear travel?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknownrash
    Dude, how can you "unbiasedly" say to go for the Nomad? You haven't even ridden the Intense or the Turner? You're judging the performance of a Turner based on how it looks? That absurd. You should try one sometime.
    let him continue in his Media Hype world of fantasy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just test ride a Nomad and you'll quickly justify why you need a 6 inch bike. Marketing hype? most probably, but it delivers the expectation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    Yes, that was meant as sarcasm.

Leash Law Enforcer
    There's a lot to consider in those three picks. You are looking at different suspension designs and different geometry. I personally think those are bigger factors than weight. I don't know about weight on the SC and Intense, but you would be hard pressed to get a 6-Pack/RFX down to 32 lbs.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

mtbr member
    Just to add to the confusion. What about Specialized Enduru or FSR 120 stumbjumber.

Endure's you can get down to 32LBS and they are a great climbing all moutain.

Or on the lighter side ther FSR(can get down to 25lbs) with the brain shock is a great climbing bike and great on the technical single track.

Any off the bikes mention before are going to be great bike but remember. All moutain bikes tend to have a longer wheel base, which makes them a slower reacting bikes.

I have an Enduru and just order a FSR because of the shorter wheel base.

Good luck
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies

suspension whore
    Ridden all three and owned an ellswth ID
    ALL great bikes with slightly different characteristics ( and owner/ CS baggage)

"6 pack/ RFX" - burrliest, heavyest incredible construction, turner CS, 6 inch travel. Coil shock stock
    "Nomad" - vpp, very plush, anodized option, slacker head anglr than 6.6, slightly longer too i believe. 6.4 inchs travel aprox, curved top tube (some love the look, others think vomiting dog?), air or coil build option.
    "6.6" - VPP, steeper head angle, slightly shorter chain stay/wheel base, no anodizing. 1.5 head tube. 6.6 " travel, air shoch stock.

IMHO-
    Turner is the stiffest and burliest ie best for abusive, north shore type riding
    Nomad is slacker and longer than 6.6 so better for opening up on fast DH style riding
    6.6 slightly steeper and shorter, better for technical descending and climbing verses all out speed.
    Bear in mind these are generalizations made purely for comparitive purposes.
    With the right build and skilled rider they are all outstanding bikes for any all mountain riding, climbing and descending

I went with the 6.6 because I wanted to use a non adjustable fox 36 Vanilla.
    I wanted a steeper head angle and I wanted to use a flush head set so I could shorten the A-C and use a 160mm travel fork and still climb OK (I have a dedicated 44lb DH rig so this is my everyday ride)
    I only weigh 155 so durability/frame construction/bombproofness, is less of a concern
    I was more concerned with getting the most travel to balance out the VAN 36 and putting the weight into heavier componentry ( Diablos DH bars and cranks, mavic cross max XL wheel set)
    I prefer anodized bikes for durability but it was a secondary concern
    I was worried about the DHX air but I'm very happy with it so far, ( looking foreward to tryinf a CCDB coil but not looking to upgrade at this point)
    I didnt want to exceed 34lbs with build.
    I didnt want a travel adjust fork
    ALL three companies seem to have great customer service

In short I'm very happy with my choice and with 4 months of riding there's nothing I would change or do differently.
    If this was my only bike I would probably steepen out the HA with a longer fork or non flush headset as I'm sure it would still climb well enough.
    If you want a shorter A-C fork or travel adjustability I would try nomad or turner
    A stock coil would be better if you know you are going big or a turner.
    If you worry about bearing maintaince the turner bushing are fantastic.
    If you like funky design the nomad has loads of color options and can come as a complete build.
    Pedal feedback or chain tension is slighty noticable in granny gear on the VPP bikes although to me they feel like they bob less in the seated position in middle ring compared to the turner TNT or ellswth ID.
    VPP does have bottomless travel feel, less progressive feel until very end ( may be a DHX thing)
    All bike track well although my 6.6 bobs alot if climbing out the saddle with propedal off
    ( can easily be fixed by increasing propedal but not a concern for me. I just stay seated- i prefer to set and forget)
    If you want to race DH nomad MAY be more stable on a DH cource? guess?

I'm reaching at this point- they are all great bikes. Read as much as you have patience for, then demo all three.
    The build will influence the ride "feel" but the decision will make its self.
    The hardest part is deciding on your own build.
    hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

Knollician
    Well, I might be able to provide some input here as I am from Phoenix. Any one of the 3 bikes are great, if you plan on riding South Mountain, White Tanks, even Estrella. If you ride Hawes, McDowell, Pima you are looking at bikes that will not excel in those areas.

I ride with a large group of guys with varying bikes from 6-packs to 575's to Nomads. We ride SOMO 99% of the time. We spend some time in Sedona as well. I personally have owned a 575 and now I am on a 6-pack. The 575 can be easily built strong at 30 pounds, is a great climber and a great decender. You may want to add that to your list. As far as the Turner, I will never look back. This bike, though heavier, is a better technical climber but slower. I also really appreciate the greaseable pivots and the incredible CS. 32 pounds on a Turner is unlikely, but it is burly as hell and will withstand the desert punishment well. Mine weighs in at about 34.5 now.

Any of the 3 bikes on your list will make you a much better DH'er. I do not like the complexity of the VPP's and they have a firm initial compression which will help you climb better. I prefer the super plush Turner travel. Good luck.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au

Go for the Nomad!
    Nahhh.... haven't seen any Intense bike, nor a Turner 6 Pack/RFX, and have seen only once a SC Nomad, I can give my totaly biased opinion... go Titus Moto Lite.....

I'm sort of thinking on going next year for a 6x6 trailbike. The Nomad looks pretty nice, but I have lot's of time to research, so, I'm still not in this dilema right now....

C ya!

mr. wonderful

Question

where in phoenix do want to ride this beast?

if your answer is pima/dynamite, get a lighter bike
    if your answer is T100, get a lighter bike
    if your answer is hawes, get a lighter bike
    if your answer is mcdowell, get a lighter bike
    if your answer is desert classic, get a lighter bike
    if your answer is the loops, javalina, mormon loop, get a lighter bike
    if your answer is national and geronimo, OK, now we're talkin', any of the three would be great, depending on what geometry and suspension type you like
    if your answer is holbert, 24th street, any would be great, but i would lean with the RFX
    if your answer is viejo, again, leaning harder toward the RFX
    if your answer is goat camp, definitely the RFX!

if you are still with me, know that the suspension will behave much differently between the VVP bikes and the (dare i say it) Turner four bar, especially WRT uphill technical climbing, and double especially climbing the square edge ledges that we have so many of. VPP will firm up under power (read climbing) whereas the four bar with stay more active. downhill, i find VPP bikes to perform very well. i wouldn't know brake jack if it reached out and slapped me. the biggest difference on DH performance you are going to notice between the VPPs and the Turner is the air vs. coil shock. i know someone who replaced the DHX air on the nomad with a rocco, and he likes it a lot more. i don't know if the 6.6 will even accept a coil.

next comes geometry. the RFX is more slack than the other 2 and will probably ride better slacked out for steep descending, if that's what you want to do. i have a 66SL on my 6 pack and i run it mostly at 150mm. when it gets pretty steep for an extended technical descent, i will knock it up to 170mm and step the compression dampening up 4 or 6 clicks to keep the fork riding tall in its travel. but mostly i just keep it at 150. the RFX has a taller BB height than the others too. i was worried about this because i have long legs and a naturally high center of gravity. i can say, however, that i am more comfortable and balanced on the RFX than i have been on any other bike, including bikes with 2" lower BBs. i can stop, track stand, and readjust on steep technical plunking like never before.

the VPPs are going to feel a little more lively and light for sprinting and out of the saddle efforts. they also might be a little more efficient for long fire road climbs, if that's what you enjoy. what else? bearings and VPP linkage vs. bushings? no hype there. i lived with a creaky blur and 575 for years before enjoying the simple maintenance of the turner.

all that said, i was considering all 3 before i walked into my LBS and was offered a deal i could not refuse for a 6 pack. i am so glad i did. i've liked a lot of bikes, but none even comes close to my turner.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Unknownrash
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    Geez humour is lost on you guys.

mtbr member

a little more, etc.

so, thanks for the responses. first, i know that weight is low for these bikes and will only add on $$$. that's in an ideal world....the same where my legs and torso would be proportionate and i wouldn't have the torso length of an 8 year old. still about 5'11", but not proportioned! how bout i change that to 32-35lbs.

anyways, the reason i want a longer travel bike is that i already have a 4"x4" single pivot. i like it, it's smokin' fast, but i have bottomed it out. i like to jump and rail turns, etc. it is sketchy in the air and on the descents. i have tried some 5" bikes but not the 5 spot. it wouldn't be worth it for me to add an inch on a 5" xc bike, so i'd like something burly and that i can feel conf. doing drops and jumps.

south mtn. is basically home court for me, although due to work/school i've been night riding papago...hey, it's not great but we all need to get the fix any way we can. i'll take something over nothing.

as far as specialized goes, they make nice bikes, just not for me. when i got my last bike EVERYONE pushed them and i didn't like the feel of any of them. besides that, i want some bling factor if i am shelling out the loot. i want the bike that i gawk at in the lot and think "that dude is one lucky s.o.b."

tiSS'er, i believe i've seen your pack or similar on so.mo. i rode w/ a group briefly one day and was amazed at the nomads at 6packs soaking up the terrain while i was picking around stuff. someone blew a tire and i kept going, only to blow one 30 seconds later. however, i watched them climb and was really surprised by the speed and goat-like qualities. my bike tends to wander vs. hunker and claw up. impressive.

i ride all over, but really like so.mo., hawes, schultz creek, the prescott loops, durango, etc. not a big fan of the estrella race loops, although i only rode there once.

thanks.

Bike to the Bone...
    so, thanks for the responses. first, i know that weight is low for these bikes and will only add on $$$. that's in an ideal world....the same where my legs and torso would be proportionate and i wouldn't have the torso length of an 8 year old. still about 5'11", but not proportioned! how bout i change that to 32-35lbs.

anyways, the reason i want a longer travel bike is that i already have a 4"x4" single pivot. i like it, it's smokin' fast, but i have bottomed it out. i like to jump and rail turns, etc. it is sketchy in the air and on the descents. i have tried some 5" bikes but not the 5 spot. it wouldn't be worth it for me to add an inch on a 5" xc bike, so i'd like something burly and that i can feel conf. doing drops and jumps.

south mtn. is basically home court for me, although due to work/school i've been night riding papago...hey, it's not great but we all need to get the fix any way we can. i'll take something over nothing.

as far as specialized goes, they make nice bikes, just not for me. when i got my last bike EVERYONE pushed them and i didn't like the feel of any of them. besides that, i want some bling factor if i am shelling out the loot. i want the bike that i gawk at in the lot and think "that dude is one lucky s.o.b."

tiSS'er, i believe i've seen your pack or similar on so.mo. i rode w/ a group briefly one day and was amazed at the nomads at 6packs soaking up the terrain while i was picking around stuff. someone blew a tire and i kept going, only to blow one 30 seconds later. however, i watched them climb and was really surprised by the speed and goat-like qualities. my bike tends to wander vs. hunker and claw up. impressive.

i ride all over, but really like so.mo., hawes, schultz creek, the prescott loops, durango, etc. not a big fan of the estrella race loops, although i only rode there once.

thanks.
    I don't know about a realistic weight for a 6x6 bike. It also depends on how burly you want it. So maybe 32-36 lbs might be, but let other correct me on this.

Now, I'm not an expert, but maybe the reason that you bottomed out might have been more than just the travel. Maybe some adjustment? or setting or something? some bikes have rising rate and falling rate, so maybe that just comes into play, maybe a rising rate 4" would help you, maybe not.

mtbr member

bottom out reply

i've bottomed out a couple of times...flat drops and one botched landing w/ the front going down hard (man. black super air).

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

sc heckler

Save the money and get a great parts package... It performs As well. Especially if your on the East Coast. Way less maintance.

mtbr member
    Alot has been said here about all the bikes you listed. One point I want to bring out is with the Turner RFX. If it turns out to be just to much bike, hard to climb, to heavy, or you want to lighten it up, you can get from Turner the complete 5 Spot rear end and a DHX Air shock and bolt it up to the RFX front triangle. Several are doing this and like the results, just a thought.

suspension whore
    "i don't know if the 6.6 will even accept a coil."

6.6 will accept fox dhx coil and cane creek double barrel
    - no rocco though

sounds like some good riding out there- all the RFX terrain sounds promising.
    Road trip worthy from LA?
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast