a'buh?

Nobby Nic vs. Slant Six vs. Spec. Purgatory

Trying to match a rear tire to a Nevegal 2.3 up front on a GT Distortion build.

I want something that rolls fast and is decently light, but still grips well on a variety of terrain. Any input on which of these is the best allrounder? And which is the best in the wet (knowing full well that none of them are going to be mud tires)? I'm looking at dual compound versions in the 2.2-2.3 range, FYI.

Thanks!
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

usually cranky
    imo non of those are very similar. the purg is pretty aggressive and the six is the least aggressive. i use a purg out back and i like it, pretty fast but still good grip.

gravity fighter
    A Conti XKing might be another contender for you. The 2.2 X almost matches the volume on my Nev 2.3 and it rolls very well. It's decent in the wet but you have to play with your pressure a bit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Also consider the Specialized Ground Control 2.3" tire. Rolls and grips better than a Purgatory, in my opinion. FYI, I just cut every transition knob off my Nevegals, and they are like completely different tires. If you want a bit more cornering performance from you Nevegal, give that a try if you haven't already!

Come on, dare me!
    What about the Hans Dampf from Schwalbe? It is supposedly the best current "lightish" big AM tire (2.35). Otherwise, I have (had) both the Purgatory and the NN and they're pretty different tires. The Spec is more round and has a bit less grip in corners but is more predictable, whereas the NN is more square but has more bit, although it doesn't warn you when "letting it go". I think the Purgatory (in Control version) might be a nice complement to your Nevegal. Last but not least, a 2.2 Purgatory is bigger than a 2.25 NN but the Schwalbe is almost 100 g lighter in standard (EVO) version and 60 g lighter in the Snake Skin version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Can't go wrong with the Spec. tires. They've got a satisfaction guarantee (30 or 60 days can't remember which). I've run the Nobby Nicks and liked them but I'm on the Purgatory now in the back. The Ground Control by Spec. is basically a NN clone so it would be worth trying out. You could basically try the Ground Control for a few weeks then swap it out for a Purgatory and see which one you like better. I've enjoyed both for riding on the east coast in most conditions. Don't really think I can feel the difference between the 2 although I'm sure more experienced riders can. Hopefully if you try both you can make up your own mind.

Later
    Bryan

Dropshot Champ!
    the nobby nic and the purgatory are close to each other. they're both really good tires. the purg will be cheaper...it lasts a little longer too. great tire.