mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. Nixon Comp QR 145mm Fork Manitou

I just bought a larege Titus Moto-Lite with a Fox DHX 5.0 Coil in the rear. I'm thinking of the Nixon Comp QR 145mm Fork up front. The Nixon Comp QR is cheap, average weight for a coil/oil 145mm travel, and a low stack height.

Does anyone have experience with this fork? Does it BOB like crazy? Brake dive? Does it bottom out easily? Is there too much deflection / flex? Is there any difference btn the 20mm thru axle version and the QR version?

I'll be using this as a freeride/ all mountain bike so I'm not too concerned about excessive weight.

THANKS!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoRider
    I just bought a larege Titus Moto-Lite with a Fox DHX 5.0 Coil in the rear. I'm thinking of the Nixon Comp QR 145mm Fork up front. The Nixon Comp QR is cheap, average weight for a coil/oil 145mm travel, and a low stack height.

Does anyone have experience with this fork? Does it BOB like crazy? Brake dive? Does it bottom out easily? Is there too much deflection / flex? Is there any difference btn the 20mm thru axle version and the QR version?

I'll be using this as a freeride/ all mountain bike so I'm not too concerned about excessive weight.

THANKS!
    For the money it seems like a great fork. TPC damping should mean it is active (not platform like SPV) and might bob if you pedal out of the saddle a lot, but will be smooth on downhills. It has a compression knob so you would be able to tone down bob and brake dive with that. The 20mm version will be the stiffest if you don't mind the bolt on axle.

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=935
    For $200 it's hard to pass up...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    i have one on my 06 trek remedy 6 it's a good fork could be a little stiffer b/c it bobs alittle out of the seat but i'm #145 but for climbing hills i just make the rebound really slow and it works like a champ. downhills are fun but the compression knob does not really do much.

over all i would get it on a budget or just for a second fork to have.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    For the money it seems like a great fork. TPC damping should mean it is active (not platform like SPV) and might bob if you pedal out of the saddle a lot, but will be smooth on downhills. It has a compression knob so you would be able to tone down bob and brake dive with that. The 20mm version will be the stiffest if you don't mind the bolt on axle.

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=935
    For $200 it's hard to pass up...
    I have a '05 Nixon Elite which is very similar except with adjustable travel. It is a very freely reactive fork. The compression damper adjuster doesn't slow compression much on my fork the '06 may have a firmer range without thicker oil, which doesn't bother me, I like to use only spring resistance for compression control. The Moto-lite rear suspension is very stable and seated pedaling won't upset this smooth fork, but the fork will bob a lot when standing and pedaling. You could tweak it and add a firmer compression damper shim if you find it bob's too much, or try thicker oil.

The Moto-lite isn't really built to hold up for big air free-ride, it's a light weight longer travel XC oriented bike. The Nixon should work well.

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    I had a nixon elite plus with SPV. The SPV did not do much for me but I'm 210lbs, it did however have nice bottom out feature. 05 Nixon need a tire clearance upgrade which is really a down grade because it reduced the travel down to 135mm....WTF??? Now I got a really heavy 5 inch fork.

But it was quite stiff and plush. I had no problem with mine but did hear some people saying they are not so reliable.
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"