Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Is the Niner WFO a good AM choice?

I'm thinking about getting a Niner WFO and building it up to replace my 6" 26er this winter. I would be riding the WFO everywhere from easy XC singletrack in Maryland to Mt Fromme and Whistler Valley. Anybody riding AM on this Niner or something similar? Should I just think about keeping 26" wheels for AM? I could never imagine riding somewhere with a chairlift on a 29er!

I posted on the 29er forum but either I'm getting no love or nobody is riding AM over there
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Why would you need to choose one over another? Unless you live in a tiny studio apartment you can have both and just choose to ride one or the other depending upon the circumstances. A big plus is that then you have an "extra" bicycle to use when introducing new friends to the sport.

Besides... although the Wal-Mart FS bikes are widely maligned, several riders have bought the $199 Mongoose Deception 29'er on the premise that for $199 you can just use it to discover what a 29'er is like. I'm seriously considering that myself if I can talk my wife into the idea. LOL

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Do it!

I rode my R.I.P. 9 as an all mountain bike this season and it ripped. Get the Reba 140mm RLT Ti and wait until the 2011 frames come out with the slacker head angles. You may as well step up to the big wheels now, the all mountain "style" is leaning that way IMO.

fan of maple syrup
    I usually search first, then ask. But to each their own.

Most of mikesee's threads on here involve Lenz 29er FS bikes. Whether or not you consider the riding "AM" enough for you ... well, I have no idea:
    Bike check: Skippy's PBJ. (pics and vid of a pretty hardcore 29er rig)
    Whizzling. (29er at Whistler)

Here's a vid from LeeLau on the North Shore (don't know if it's Fromme or Seymour) that includes a Lenz 29er FS:
    http://vimeo.com/15757332

Those are all Lenz 29er's - I can't comment on the WFO9, but I've seen a vid or two of one running the 29er Dorado and it looked like it went pretty hard.

Bottom line, I have no doubt the FS offerings from Lenz & Niner would have you covered in the ubiquitous and oft-misinterpreted "AM" category.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks guys!!

Hey capslayer my next question was going to be what fork but I'll try the Reba. I will get the 2011 frame too.

Hey nukethanks thanks for the vids but I've seen those videos before. Lee is a super dope rider (he could ride a tricycle around the north shore!). I'm looking for +'s and -'s in words not a video that proves it can done.

rat that walmart idea is awesome! I have a GF ferrous 9er that I've been riding for two seasons so I've ridden a 29er alot. I was just wondering how an AM 29er holds up to the abuse, does it corner well enough. Any hidden headaches stuff like that.

Sorry if I ask a simple question but I don't have any medium ground. My XC friends say "buy buy" buy my DJ and DH friends say H*LL NO.

Underskilled
    I ride the WFO.

It needs a dorado, doesn't need to be a new one I run an '04.

With a Dorado it is the best AM bike I have ridden.
    The amount of speed it can carry through rocks is obscene, it just keeps going faster when the bike should be slowing.

With the right tune (I have it) it is also an amazing XC bike, it pedals well and is the best climber I have ridden (stable and traction). It is heavy, but worth every gram (or ounce/pound whatever).

very happy with this bike, especially in an AM capacity.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Good News Cave!

The dorado doesn't make the front of the bike too heavy and awkward? How does your WFO handle drops and berms with that fork? I only ask because spoke with a guy that had a Eldorado on a RMX7 and said it weighed down the front too much. This was a long time ago considering were talking Rocky Mountain RMX.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    Hey HJ, I'm pushing the limits plenty with my WFO built with a WB 150 fork and an Avy Woodie coil in the rear. I'm running Syncros DS28 rims with Dissent tires and a 1x9 set up. I kick it's @ss every ride and it keeps on tickin'! My build is kinda portly at 42lbs but guys always say when people ask.... "good luck keepin' up with him".

The frame is super stiff. I have had no issues with the 29" size wheels feeling weak or needing trueing. I was running Nevegals for tires but the bike lets you ride through the chunk so aggressively that I kept pinching, even with DH tubes. Now with the Dissents, the bike is invinsable!

I'd go for it!

MTB B'dos
    I think Nuclear Powered nailed it, a search would turn up some outstanding representations of AM 29er riding by the likes of MikeSee and others. As to what you consider AM riding, I think MikeSee's riding is on the edge of that for me and bordering on light FR, but either way, 29ers are very capable AM machines once all the agles are right.

If you're not in a rush, as said the 2011 bikes will get some geo adjustments and go a bit slacker and if you're really not in a hurry and doing fine on your 26er 6" bike then hold off for what will be coming towards the end of next year, looks to be very promising with what's known and what's been implied by some well known manufacturers.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hold out for the Banshee Prime in a year or two!!

Underskilled
    Hi,

I have used both the WB150 and Dorado.

Although I actually preferred the WB for DH, the way the Dorado changes the geo of the bike is such an improvment.

There is a bit of additional weight, but it balances the bike, the increased efficiency of the Dorado more than makes up for this.

I am MUCH faster for XC and climbing with the dorado, that bike needs a long fork.
    The WB is another great option as it excels when going DH, but is not as good in the flats or climbs.

As I use this bike for everything (just got back from a long road ride) the dorado is a must.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    I'm not sure if I agree with CG about the WB not being good on the flats and climbs. It's all about how you set it up. I'm almost always the first to the top and that's pushing 42lbs around! I have no time in on a Dorado to compare though. I thought I had a lead on a good deal for a new one but that connection flaked out. Now I'll just have to wait till I got some spare cash sitting round.

The Prime looks nice fur shur but with how slow new products can take to hit the market, I'd jump on the WFO for now and sell it off when the Prime hits the market if your so inclined.

Personally, I can't envision myself back on 26" wheels!

Underskilled
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say the WB was not good, just the dorado is better.

The Dorado has the best platform damping circuit I have ever used, it lets you stand and hammer fine.

The WB is a particularly fine fork and the second best I have used. I found the WB to be very similar to the Fox 36.

Two great forks, I just find the Dorado to be better with this frame. With a different frame I can see the situations reversed, especially if more a DH bike.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Wb-150

Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say the WB was not good, just the dorado is better.

Feelings not hurt, just not alot of Dorado's floating around as a viable option for most. Besides, I know you had good luck with your 150 in the past.

Underskilled
    The 150 was great, I always liked the fact that your front wheel was always where you wanted it to be whatever terrain it went over.

I spent a LOT less buying my Dorado than my WB.
    Second hand 2004 model off eBay, for me the WB was the premium.

It lacks a platform though, which is why it probably why it is better on the DH, but slower on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Do you guys think that Fox will come out with 120-140mm fork for a 29er?

My idea of AM is having a bike that can climb but can handle places like Fromme or Seymour. I have a second home in Whistler so I ride around BC two months a year. Unforunately I live in Maryland another 10 months so I want something I can take on an XC ride too

Thanks for the input everyone. this gives alot to digest before the build!

MTB B'dos
    OK seriously, you have a 2nd home there, but you want one bike to ride 2 completely different places My suggestion to you is to get yourself the best bike for those trails for the 2 months you're there so you can totally enjoy it and not be riding a compromised bike and then something more XC for your home trails. I mean seriously, 2nd home and all, can't be thinking monie's an issue for you

Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie
    Do you guys think that Fox will come out with 120-140mm fork for a 29er?

My idea of AM is having a bike that can climb but can handle places like Fromme or Seymour. I have a second home in Whistler so I ride around BC two months a year. Unforunately I live in Maryland another 10 months so I want something I can take on an XC ride too

Thanks for the input everyone. this gives alot to digest before the build!
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey Lynx I thought about building a Niner Rip9 for Maryland and a Rocky Mountain Slopestyle Slayer with a Fox 36 Talas RLC in the front and a DHX 5.0 in the rear I was going to build the Slayer up with the Saint group and all the nice Chromag stuff but...

Money or not I'm still married bro.

MTB B'dos
    Seriously Dude, that's a lmae and easy to get around excuse Just get some prices on some other sports like rallying or crotch rockets etc and then explain the $$ for value ratio AND that it also keeps you healthy ontop of letting you have fun - unless of course if she's waiting for you to keel and collect the insurance

FYI, I like that plan you stated
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie
    Hey Lynx I thought about building a Niner Rip9 for Maryland and a Rocky Mountain Slopestyle Slayer with a Fox 36 Talas RLC in the front and a DHX 5.0 in the rear I was going to build the Slayer up with the Saint group and all the nice Chromag stuff but...

Money or not I'm still married bro.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Flaccid Member
    deleted.
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 11-19-2010 at 12:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I demoed a Rumblefish which isnt even a AM bike, and I hated it.
    Climbing with heavier duty 29" hoops and tires feels like you're dragging a dead hooker behind your bike. Stick with the 26" IMO.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan55
    I demoed a Rumblefish which isnt even a AM bike, and I hated it.
    Climbing with heavier duty 29" hoops and tires feels like you're dragging a dead hooker behind your bike. Stick with the 26" IMO.

Nah, you just need to HTFU, that's all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm surprised you felt that way about the Fish Evan.

I ride a 29er HT one day and a 26" FS or SS the next and don't see the wheel differ in handling. The 29er seems to roll over stuff like log piles better than a 26" but I'm always truing my back wheel. The 29er also seems to make trails flow better. The only thing I see different from one to next is how much more a 29" wheel is in my truing stand but maybe a strong wheeelset custom built would last.

I think I need to demo a FS 29er and see how it feels.

I'm leaning towards Plan B: Knolly Enphorin(i know spelling) or a Delrium. Like Lynx said why try to build a bike for the North Shore and XC.

Underskilled
    If you are continually truing your rear wheel there is something wrong.

My bike is built for AM/XC and works great (mentioned above).

The strongest wheels I have found are my current ones.
    Kris Holm FR (not the usal XC) rims. Very light for the strength, amazing tyre support and size increase, look cool and cheap.

mtbr member
    I ride a few 29ers but my RIP 9 is awesome. I'm sure you'll feel the same way about the WFO. As opposed to other 29ers the Niner handles very snappy and really handles like a 26 inch wheel but keep the momentum up and over obstacles better.
    www.mtbiking.ca
    Your Key To The Epic Ride!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast