mtbr member
    Aug 2010

From a Nickel to a Carbon ?? Solo? Mach 5.7 or what

I have been running a SC Nickel with 140mm fork for the last few years It does everything I need it to , feels comfortable most of the time except for some wandering on the front on slow tight techy climbs

Plan to trade up to something similar in Carbon.

The Solo / 5010 looks great Happy to try out 27.5 but as my lady rides 26"" if I stick with 26 we can share parts when travelling so Pivot Mach 5.7 looks great

Will be a custom build

Difficult to get test rides so would appreciate any feedback on the above or other options from Yeti Turner or Intense as these are available near me

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I own a 5.7c. I believe it is pretty hard to beat if you are looking for a 26" trail bike. Aggressive geometry, light, very stiff, climbs surprisingly well for such a slack bike (67deg HA, slackish ST).

There is really nothing I would change on mine. In my mind, it is very near perfection for a 26" trail bike. Begs to be ridden harder than a XC bike, but not quite a true All-Mountain bike either. If that's what you are looking for, it's an amazing bike.

Only complain: lack of ISCG tabs, but not much of an issue if you use a clutch derailleur with N/W chainring in a 1X setup.

mtbr member
    Why not a TRc? You can stick with santa cruz and get one hell of a bike
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thought of the TRC but the Solo construction seems so much more advanced and durable

The other idea I had was to keep the Nickle a bit lighter more XC and build the Pivot up a bit heavier with a 150 fork gives me a bit more range

Swedetarded
    I am also toying with the idea of ditching my Nickel (w/ 140mm FOX) for a 5010. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Nickel, I think it's one of the top 3 bikes I've owned over the last 20 years. I also have a 29er hardtail and I have felt the benefit of the big wheel, but at 5'6", it scares me in "black" terrain where I have to get over the back of the bike (tire to ass buzz). Hence, the interest in 650b.

Regardless, as you mention above, I am in the process of going 1x10 to drop some weight off the Nickel. As a former BMX racer I appreciate the quick natured handling of the Nickel, and I'm excited to take some girth off my overbuilt XC build. FYI there are some guys getting the Nickel <25lbs.

I'm also toying with 650bing the bike. Like I said, I love the bike, but am big(er) wheel curious.

You're not alone. If you're only dissatisfied with the handling on steeper climbs, maybe toy with stem length? I don't have this issue with mine and I run a 70mm stem.

Addicted
    May 2006
    I was on a TRc before I got my Mach 5.7c. The 5.7c was better for me in every way. I ride the same trails on my 5.7c that I rode on my TRc. The TRc didn't even last 6 months before the frame was broken which was fine as the TRc was spot on for geometry, but the construction and ride quality were poor.
    The 5.7c is noticeably more rigid. I never switch out of descend mode even for climbing and at 30% sag the traction and forward efficiency stomp that of TRc(which I ended up running at 18% sag because of the natural desire of that bike to blow through the travel on everything).
    If you like the Nickel, you might like the TRc but I would highly suggest trying out the 5.7.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbigisbudgood View Post
    I am also toying with the idea of ditching my Nickel (w/ 140mm FOX) for a 5010. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Nickel, I think it's one of the top 3 bikes I've owned over the last 20 years. I also have a 29er hardtail and I have felt the benefit of the big wheel, but at 5'6", it scares me in "black" terrain where I have to get over the back of the bike (tire to ass buzz). Hence, the interest in 650b.

Regardless, as you mention above, I am in the process of going 1x10 to drop some weight off the Nickel. As a former BMX racer I appreciate the quick natured handling of the Nickel, and I'm excited to take some girth off my overbuilt XC build. FYI there are some guys getting the Nickel <25lbs.

I'm also toying with 650bing the bike. Like I said, I love the bike, but am big(er) wheel curious.

You're not alone. If you're only dissatisfied with the handling on steeper climbs, maybe toy with stem length? I don't have this issue with mine and I run a 70mm stem.
    I have never ridden my Nickel with 26" wheels…I got it for the fact it is the ideal 650b conversion. It is close to perfect for me. WIth a short stem, wide bar and dropper post, it can pretty much do anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by simonuk View Post

The Solo / 5010 looks great Happy to try out 27.5 but as my lady rides 26"" if I stick with 26 we can share parts when travelling so Pivot Mach 5.7 looks great
    If you like the SOLO, go for it. Not sure if your reasoning about sharing 26" wheel parts with your girlfriend should hold you back. What would it amount to, bringing two spare tires on your trip instead of one? You can use the same everything else, including tubes.

Better yet, she can get a 27.5 bike too!