mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New question here. Next Bike - Yeti 575 Too Beefy?

Good Morning Forum,
    I did quite a bit of research last year and decided to pick up a used Yeti 575. I had a great time riding it since it was an upgrade from a $400 used starter bike. I love the Yeti but it turns out that my riding style has changed a bit. All of my riding has been - start at the bottom of a Colorado mountain, go to the top, ride back down. It's a great time and the Yeti climbs extremely well but I think it might be too heavy/too much of a bike for this purpose. I think I want to get in to trail triathlons (XTERRA) and looking for something more suited to this instead of having 5.75 inches of travel in the front shock since I'm not bombing off of too many large jumps.

I ride with my coworker who is a stud when it comes to mountain biking. He worships the Specialized brand and owns a bike that is more than most cars. He is suggesting the Epic and his basic advice was to find a bike that is less than 26 lbs. His bike has 100mm travel in the front and three inches in the back.

I was wondering if anyone had advice for a particular bike that might meet my needs other than the Specialized Epic. He found me two good deals on craigslist for around my budget ($2000). I'm looking for something used to get more bang for my buck.

In case anyone is interested, my bike is up for sale:
    http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1064744750.html

Thanks for any feedback on bikes that might better suit my needs.
    Last edited by crux19; 03-20-2009 at 07:50 AM.

Why ask in the AM forum? You had a nice bike, now you're going to an xc weight weenie machine... Personally I'd have kept the 575, rode one once (in Colorado, too), liked it very much. Maybe a nice Blur XC carbon now....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks and sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I was browsing it prior to my post and didn't pop back out. I have reposted in the "weenie" forum:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...71#post5501371

Apologies for the cross post and if anyone has "God" rights and can delete the post here it would be appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Probably. If you have to ask if a lightweight AM/trail bike is too beefy, you should probably be on a road bike.

I dont see the point of specialized brain technology. If I wanted my shock to feel like piss and not work in order to cover up failings in my suspension design, I'd buy a cheap old used SPV shock.

mtbr member
    I'm a Colorado rider here too and started out on a Titus Racer-X(25lbs) which is a competitor to an Epic. I love the bike. It does what it's supposed to do really well. That being said, I ride my Enduro SL all the time now. The Titus just beat the hell out of me on the downhills. At least if I wanted to do them with any type of speed. I weigh 200lbs though, and have no interest in doing races like you're planning. I just enjoy trail rides. I feel like a 5-6 inch bike is perfect for the Front Range.

mtbr member
    This is definitely a XC Racing forum question. Use the search function, lots of good comparisons between different XC bikes.

BTW - I'd get a Giant Anthem X or Yeti ASR before an epic. Until this year, epic frames were heavy for their travel, and now that they've lightened the frame, they took a step backwards and added Specialized brand shocks.

eBiker
    If the XTerra courses are buffed single track, go short travel, but if the courses have rocks, roots, and rough terrain, the 575 can be more efficient. And you can rest through boneyards rather than muscle your way through them.

The 575 is a pretty light platform.

It is system weight you are accelerating. Rider + bike weight (200#?). A 4 pound savings is a 2% improvement in system weight. And system weight is only important during accelerations.

Consider getting a race wheelset instead.

And get rid of the dog slow Maxxis tires. That is a bigger factor than the weight. Michelin or Schwalbe.

P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    The 575 is a pretty light platform.
    . . .
    Consider getting a race wheelset instead.

And get rid of the dog slow Maxxis tires. That is a bigger factor than the weight.
    Excellent points.

mtbr member
    I own an 07' Yeti 575(XTR cranks,Sram XO shifting, DT swis w/ 240s) and an 07' Giant Trance 1(Race Face Deus, Sram x9 shifting, spinergy Xyclone wheels).
    My advice is to go with an 08' or newer Giant Trance. The new design has almost an inch more of travel and the frame is about 1 lb. lighter than the 07'. It is a great all around bike that can be built up really light and still take some abuse through the rough stuff.
    BTW- my 575 is 27 lbs,, the trance is 26.5
    I prefer the Yeti in most situations except for the really tight technical stuff & climbing.
    DO NOT GET AN EPIC, the first hit is rigid and then the shock opens up,, not nice on the body!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wow, a Yeti 575 to a Spesh- I suppose everyone has their own view of an upgrade but this could very well be the first negative report I've ever encountered on the big 5-7-5. Wish I could afford it!
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!