mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Newer Rider, Bike Option Question

Hi all,

I describe myself as a newer rider to MTB, even though I've been riding for a couple years now. More often now than when I started. I bought a Craigslist special 2004 Weyless SP Pro, which has treated me well through this time, but I'm prepared for an upgrade. I like to both climb and descend hills - at decent speed - which tells me I want an all-mountain bike. With the recent 20% off at REI, I made out nicely with a 2015 DB Mission 1.0 27.5, which seems a pretty solid setup for where I stand in skill and intentions at this time. My cousin however, happens to be looking to sell his 2010 Giant Reign 0, which, based on the specs, was a pretty high end bike for its time (relative to the DB's place in the market at this time). It's a 26er, so there's obviously that difference. He's looking to sell for about 700 less than I paid for the new DB.

My question, would I be dumb to pass this up? Or has suspension/brake/drivetrain/etc. technology advanced significantly in the last 5 years to where these bikes would be on even par? Been doing lots of reading on components, brands, differences etc. but everything sounds to just be splitting hairs to me. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Sean

mtbr member
    my bikes 5 years old but it rips like its a day old. kinda depends on what the Giant has and what condition its in

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Good question. It's in very good condition. He mentioned putting some money in to rebuild the suspension. He took a spill on it a while back, so I think it may have prompted this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    2010 Giant Reign 0 - New and Used Bike Value
    Ask him to let you demo it on your trails.
    You'll have both bikes.
    See which one you like best.
    Take your time. Or better yet, take him out again with you and swap off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Keep the mission. After five years the performance of 2010 top tier components has trickled down to mid level stuff, if not surpassed by them. The mission has a better ( more modern) geometry than the reign like the 66 degree HA compared to the reign's 68. Not to mention current 142 rear hub spacing if you ever want to go 1x11. Like it or hate it 26" bikes have very little value these days. My friend picked up a used reign for $800 and I had to sell my pimped out 2011 trance for peanuts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Interesting. All good points. There's a long ~45mi ride I'll be joining in San Diego pretty soon, so it sounds I should have more than ample time on the new one to see how well it's sorted. Just too bad I can't take both out that day.