mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Newb question - tubes

I went off a three foot drop off today and blew both tubes. Looking for something a bit tougher than the light weight "saran wrap" tubes my bike came with.

What size tubes can I run in my 26x2.00 tires?

I am thinking about the Avenir T.R. or the Maxxis Downhill.

Also - if anyone has a good online resource to order from, it would be appreciated.

Peace.

Freshly Fujified

Try this

I'm not sure how much this will help, but it's the only resource I know of thet will give you specs on tubes. Hopefully this will at least give you some insight into the differences of the tubes available.

http://www.mtbtires.com/specs/tubes.html

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    What pressure are you running? It might not be the fault of the tubes, but the low pressure might be causing them to pinch flat on drops. It happened to me but my pressure was so low, I actually damaged the rim too. Regular tubes have always been good to me and I personally don't think DH tubes are needed, also, will bigger tubes fit in smaller tires? I doubt DH tubes are made for anything smaller than 2.5 tires.

Out Of Control
    Quote Originally Posted by RebornMountainBiker
    I went off a three foot drop off today and blew both tubes. Looking for something a bit tougher than the light weight "saran wrap" tubes my bike came with.

Also - if anyone has a good online resource to order from, it would be appreciated.

Peace.
    Grab some 2.5 tubes split em down the center, soap em up, throw soem stans in there and grab the nearest air compressor. Be done with them pinch flats for good. Or just pony up and buy some ust rims

Meh.
    Learn to pump up your tires. It sounds like you're pinch flatting from not enough pressure. I've run 24x2.125 tubes in my Arrow 2.75 and Nokian 2.6 tires before.

If you really want a DH tube, Nokian Unitubes are excellent, 2.1-3.0. For a lighter alternative, thorn resistant tubes also offer a little more protection.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by RebornMountainBiker

Peace.
    You're going to have a challenge fitting a DH tube into a 2.0 tire. I would suggest looking at your LBS (or possibly even Target/WalMart) for a thorn resistant tube in the 1.9-2.3" size range. It will be as thick as a DH tube, but sized correctly for your tire.

Like others have mentioned, you should be able to do a 3 foot drop without flatting so you are probably running too low of pressure in general.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I had the same problem today. My front tire is 26x2.4 but I have a 2.5 Maxxis downhill tube at home, will it be ok to fit that?
    Cheers