IBG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Newb here... Need help deciding on a bike....

I've narrowed it down to 3 bikes...

Specialized Enduro SL Expert
    Sprecialized Stumpy FSR Expert
    and the Yeti 575 w/ Enduro Race package but a few tweeks. Fox DHX Air Rear, Fox 32 Talas RLC front, Chris King, Sram x.9 instead of x.o for the rear derailleur.

Bikes I have tried and didn't like...
    Specialized Epic Marathon
    Cannondale Rush Carbon 2
    Kona Dawg
    Kona Coiler
    Kona Stinky (It's a freakin beast and I really liked it, but not the type of bike I'm looking for.)

I really like the Stumpy and Enduro. I have yet to ride the 575, but the local bike shop guy says it's a very comparable bike.

I'm 6"2 and around 195 lbs. I'll mostly be doing trail/xc stuff but I want I bike that will handle the occasional drop from 5 feet or so. I'm thinking going with the DHX over the RP23 might be better for this. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

...also any other bikes you'd recommend trying out. Thanks
    Last edited by IBG; 07-07-2007 at 03:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    From the Specialized forum the Enduro SL is the do everything bike while the Stumpy is the XC Oriented Do everything bike. I say the Enduro SL because it doesn't bob on those fireroad climbs, but the Stumpy has the brain. Also, the E150 is sex.
    Riding and loving it

You know my steez...

Alternative

I just read a glowing review of the Niner RIP in Mountain Bike magazine. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    I've done drops about 3.5 ft on my stumpy expert and it handled them fine, without blowing through the travel or anything. It's not doubt going to be a better/stiffer climber than the sl especially with the brain on firm, but the sl has slacker angles with I think lower bb. I love my stumpy, and have thought about seriously selling it to get a 575 instead, but the suspension design isn't as good as fsr, in my standards and research. I have also read the 575 bobs a bit, too. The sl is very popular this year, and hell, I've though about selling my stumpy for that, too. But I know I wouldn't push the limits on the sl its built for, rather than the stumpy for the occasional xc race/climb. So the stumpy is perfect for me. Btw, I'm 6'1, 170 lb, and ride a large.