Thread: Newb here...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Newb here...

ok, i not sure if this is the right place, but o well...sorry i just need a easy, quick answer...

My uncle does triathalons and has some nice bikes, he has a canondale mountain bike and i fell in love with riding it...i want to buy a DECENT mountain bike...i want to know what to get...i cant spend much at all seeing as i have around 100 and my parents can help me out a bit...i know that is like nothing compared to what hardcore riders spend but i just want a good starting out bike, not a mongoose though or a "Walmart Bike" but a decent one...

Thanks in advance...

Nathan

Fall guy
    How much is "help me out a bit"?

Also what kind of riding do you think you want to do? Guessing AM by where you posted.

Whats your height/weight?

Mr.
    mtbr member
    Why don't you just ask your uncle about his Cannondale and save to get one of those?
    If you can grab a fistfull of belly in your hand, does that mean you're fat?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.
    Why don't you just ask your uncle about his Cannondale and save to get one of those?
    I'll drink to that.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Dirt Displacer
    Judging from your stated financial situation, I'd say that you'd be able to get about $3-400 in scratch, correct?

If so, check out the Diamondback Response Comp

I bought one for myself while I was in Iraq so I could keep riding, and I was really impressed with the quality and value the bike gives you for $400. The frame is extremely strong and welded well, and though it's not a lightweight, it's still a lot lighter than a Walmart deathcycle. As an entry-level mountainbike, the DB is hard to beat for the price, and definitely worth upgrading once your skills improve. And upgrading can even wait with this bike, as you get some quality components to begin with.
    You didn't specify whether you wanted a full-suspension bike or not, but even though the Response is a hardtail (which is not a fault), I think you'd be happy with it until you save up for a higher-end ride.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks...

phlakvest: i weigh(im big thats why i want to get into biking to lose weight and i love to ride) around 210, and i am 5/10

Mr.: i have and he doesn't remember because it was like 5 years ago...

Bombardier: as to the 400, ya i could probably get that...and with the full suspension thing...and hardtail...help me out on that please i don't know jack squat about components on a good bike...and i live in northwestern part of georgia so there is some trails and stuff and i could find a good place...and on that DB what kind of pedals come with it...my uncle has the ones that you have to have special shoes and they lock in the pedal...i couldnt tell on the picture so help me out there please...

thanks everyone..

Nathan

ride hard take risks
    Check out Ibex there in Alpharetta Georgia. You want to get a bike with no suspension in the rear just the front in your price range. A FS at $400 wont get much for a real MTB.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Alpine.html
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Dirt Displacer
    Full suspension bikes have a shock absorber attached to the rear wheel assembly (also known as the rear triangle), hard-tail bikes are classic designs with a rigid frame, but often with a suspension/shock absorbing front wheel assembly (fork). Dogonfr is right, you won't get a good full-suspension bike with $400. However, you can find decent used or older model FS bikes from $800 and up.

The Diamondback comes with plastic flat pedals, and those should be replaced immediately with at lease higher quality flats. The pedals your uncle had are something you can use, but they take a bit of getting used to. With clip-in pedals, your pedal stroke is a lot more efficient, and it makes it easier to bunny-hop the bike. But like I said, before you get used to them, prepare to be embarrassed with a couple of low-speed tip overs.... We who ride with clip-in pedals have all gone through that.
    The Avid brakes on the Response are powerful and simple disc brakes, a lot of experienced riders swear by them. The Marzocchi fork is one of their entry-level suspension forks, but it's still lots better than the RST Gila fork found on the cheaper model Response. And the SRAM drivetrain is a good start as well.

Dogonfr is there with a good suggestion too, Ibex has good bikes for a good price.

Whichever bike you decide on, as soon as you pick it up, take it to your LBS (local bike shop) for a tune-up and inspection. They'll make sure everything is tight and lubricated before you ride..... It won't be free, but it's worth the money to be safe.

And another word about LBS's.... Make sure you give their bike selection a look before buying a bike. It's very possible that they might have a bike similar to the Diamondback for a good price, and often if you buy a bike from an LBS they'll throw in the initial service and inspection for free. Just make sure you get components equal to what's on the Diamondback. Just say no to anything made by RST or Suntour.

Mr.
    mtbr member

2002?

Quote Originally Posted by nathan312
    thanks...

Mr.: i have and he doesn't remember because it was like 5 years ago...
    Have a look here:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/02/cusa/

If it was 5 years ago, and a 2002 model, it should be listed. Knowing what bike you loved should give us all a better idea of what to steer you towards...

mtbr member
    offer to buy your uncle's bike. Make sure you don't over pay. Old bikes have little value. But, that little value makes a good option for someone like you with little cash.

For what to buy? With limited budget, skip the softtail. Quality rear suspension is expensive. You're better off without a poor rear suspension.

Don't forget, your budget needs to include enough for a helmet!
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    mr.: i just looked and i didn't see it so it could be a later model, but i just emailed him and i will tell you what kind it was soon...hopefully...

Nathan

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    he said it was a "500" dunno what else that is all he said...but allikat as for buyin his, i doubt that will fly...he said he has a race this weekend that he is going to use that bike for...normally he uses his softride and does just road ridding, but this time its off road so i dont think he will sell it seeing as he lives in ohio and i in GA and that would be a pain to get here and he also still uses it i think

Mr.
    mtbr member

F500?

he said it was a "500" dunno what else that is all he said...but allikat as for buyin his, i doubt that will fly...he said he has a race this weekend that he is going to use that bike for...normally he uses his softride and does just road ridding, but this time its off road so i dont think he will sell it seeing as he lives in ohio and i in GA and that would be a pain to get here and he also still uses it i think
    Is this it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    nope, thats close but its got like am, or fr shox on the front i think he has shockrox...anyway he helped me find a bike on this website: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ne_300HT07.htm

i know it has that RST which i heard SUCKS but i think for 269, he said keep everything stock and then when i either want to or it falls apart replace the components with better stuff...like rockshox and shifters and suspension in the back and everything...so i think i found something i am will be getting soon....

fuggansonofahowa
    I don't think adding "suspension in the back" is an option...but everything else is definitely doable.

Mr.
    mtbr member

+++

nope, thats close but its got like am, or fr shox on the front i think he has shockrox...anyway he helped me find a bike on this website: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ne_300HT07.htm

i know it has that RST which i heard SUCKS but i think for 269, he said keep everything stock and then when i either want to or it falls apart replace the components with better stuff...like rockshox and shifters and suspension in the back and everything...so i think i found something i am will be getting soon....
    Should be a good choice for your first ride.

Don't get all caught up in the whole this brand sucks, this brand is awesome game at this point in your bike experience. Just ride. Some of us started our mountain biking lives on rigid steel beasts with index shifters and caliper brakes...and they worked great for years. Riding was the goal - not getting the best components.

Dirt Displacer
    At $269 for that Motobecane, you're not really getting much for your money. I know it's not about brand loyalty, or which is better than what. I've just spent a couple of hours researching bikes, and no other bike manufacturer offers what the Diamondback does at under $500.
    When talking about seriously high-end parts, that differences between certain components can be so minute that only a lab can tell!
    But for entry level parts on an entry level bike, the differences can be huge.
    For example,
    With the Motobecane, you only get Shimano's touring derailleur (Altus) & 7 speed cassette (gears). The wheels are heavy rim-brake types, and Tektro V-brakes are seen more often on touring & commuter bikes. And the RST fork is just a pogo-stick in disguise, not a shock-absorbing suspension fork. None of these parts are going to last very long, especially if you keep progressing as a rider.

But with the Diamondback, you get a proven and dedicated mountainbike shifting system and gears (SRAM X7 & 9 speed cassette), powerful Avid BB5 disc brakes, well-made wheels (Sun), and an effective fork (Marzocchi).
    The Diamondback's frame would also be more resistant to abuse, the thing is burly!.... it may be heavier than the Motobecane, but I doubt the difference is noticable. Even so, the 'Becane is held back by crappy parts that'll not stand up to the demands of a progressing rider.

Trust me, I'm not about pimping a certain brand, I just don't want you to throw away your money on a bike that'd just handicap you from the start, rather than give you something to grow into. For about $150 more you can get a bike that comes stock with parts that you'll just be buying later for the Motobecane at a higher price. Upgrading components individually are more expensive. If you can get a quality bike from the start, do it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i was looking at the site again and for 70 bucks more i could get this with rockshox and disc brakes: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff4500.htm and the shifters are what i am used to on my uncles cannondale...

Dirt Displacer
    That's a LOT better.... but the disc brakes are still lacking.
    Tektros are like the RSTs of brakes. Shimano Deore derailleurs are good to start with, and I myself run an 8 speed cassette on my Santa Cruz Nomad. I had Alex wheels on my first mountain bike, and I never had any problems with them. I'm not familiar with the RockShox Dart fork, but I'm sure it's a lot better than the RST.

mtbr member
    check out this bike. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...5?ie=UTF8&asinits cheaper, and im pretty sure the brakes are better. go to the what bike to buy forum and look at the "forge sawback 5xx 17"" thread and read about it. everyone seems to love it for the price. good luck!!!