mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New wheelset for older bike

I'm looking to upgrade my 2004 santa cruz bullitt to a 170mm Bomber 66 fork, which uses a 20mm thru-axle so I assume my current Sun Rhyno Lite / deore xt 6 bolt disc hubs will not work.

I'm 6'5", 215lbs, call it 220 with camelbak.

I don't care about wheel weight, I've broken a couple spokes on my current wheels and would like to avoid that in the future. I'd much rather work harder to climb hills than have a wheel go out of true and have to spend a few minutes with the spoke wrench in the middle of a ride!

So far I've looked at-

Easton AM Havok's on pricepoint for $220, but the spoke count worries me.
    Azonic Outlaws for $350
    WTB Laserdisc FR's for ~$560

My bike currently uses a 9spd XT rear cassette and normal QR skewers fr+rr. I have not measured yet but I think the rear spacing is 135.

Which wheel sets should I concentrate on finding a good deal on, and could I get something stronger/better hand made for under 500?

mtbr member
    If you want hand made, take a look at Bicycle wheel warehouse. Theirs are supposed to be pretty good wheels from what I have heard. They have all different color options and you can choose your own spokes, etc. They are also a good bit under 500 as well.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade my 2004 santa cruz bullitt to a 170mm Bomber 66 fork, which uses a 20mm thru-axle so I assume my current Sun Rhyno Lite / deore xt 6 bolt disc hubs will not work.

I'm 6'5", 215lbs, call it 220 with camelbak.

I don't care about wheel weight, I've broken a couple spokes on my current wheels and would like to avoid that in the future. I'd much rather work harder to climb hills than have a wheel go out of true and have to spend a few minutes with the spoke wrench in the middle of a ride!

So far I've looked at-

Easton AM Havok's on pricepoint for $220, but the spoke count worries me.
    Azonic Outlaws for $350
    WTB Laserdisc FR's for ~$560

My bike currently uses a 9spd XT rear cassette and normal QR skewers fr+rr. I have not measured yet but I think the rear spacing is 135.

Which wheel sets should I concentrate on finding a good deal on, and could I get something stronger/better hand made for under 500?
    The bullit comes with both 135 and 150mm. If it has a through axle in it, then it's a 150.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by macming View Post
    The bullit comes with both 135 and 150mm. If it has a through axle in it, then it's a 150.
    So since I have qr rear now it's a 135?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Havoc's are pretty damn solid, I'm 225~ full geared (camelbak, tools, etc) and I'm not gentle with my bike really at all , have maybe 250-300 miles (or more, alot of my rides aren't tracked via gps) and still straight.
    yes only 24 spokes, but they are built good with dt swiss triple butted spokes so they aren't some weak wheels, they are at a very good price right now too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    So since I have qr rear now it's a 135?
    Most likely you have a 135mm rear end. AFAIK, 150mm rear end use a 12mm through axle.

Good luck!

I'd pick the Havocs in your list as well.

mtbr member
    I have a set of Easton havens that seem bomb proof so for the price I'm sure those havocs would do nice. I am also thinking of picking up a set of outlaws as a backup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    any thoughts on a set of wheels built by coloradocyclist.com ?

Hope pro 2 red hubs, 20mm front
    Mavic ex-823 UST wheels black
    DT 14/15 butted spokes black
    DT brass black nipples

$636.40

Are these going to be $400 better than the easton am havocs?

I'd like to just get wheels, throw them on, and forget about them. I don't really care what they look like, but a white wheelset would look cool to match my white SC frame against my new black bomber fork, otherwise an all black wheelset is fine.

My current sun rhyno lite xl wheelset has shimano xt hubs, and the rims measure 30mm on the outside, 135mm measured rear drop out, I run wtb weirwolfe 2.5" tires and other than looking forward to going tubeless I'm happy with my tires and not looking to go narrower so I think the 823's will be better for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you are looming to go budget, check out Spanks new EVO line up. Have them laced up to the hubs of your choice. XT are still good in my book and the newer XT will have higher POE than Hope. Not s nice but much, much cheaper.

I have not heard anything but positive feedback on the Eastons and for that price, you can hqve two sets for the price of most other mid-level wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Still looking?