El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012

New Wheels.........heavier...............climbing..... ....less fun.....

I recently "upgraded" to a heavier-duty wheel set. I was on a Shimano XT 775 xc oriented wheelset and it just felt squirrly. 24 spokes and I think less than 19mm internal width just wasnt cutting it. I was running a 2.3 Nevegal and a 2.2 Telonix F/R but It just didnt feel stable.

The new wheels have a 15mm SLX front and a 135x10 thrubolt Zee onthe rear. Straight guage spokes, Mavic EN521s.

I have to say the ride is like night and day. It feels so much stiffer in the corners and DHing is 1000% more fun. The bike just feels so much more stable when pointed down or at speed.

But...............I ride my bike as an all around and most rides are trail/XC...1000 to 3000 foot climbs, some steep FR's and ST's...rock gardens, etc....

I did a 4 hour ride this weekend and the climbing just about killed me. The bike feels like a boar. Is it all just in my head? or am I experiencing the added rotational weight? I'm still using the same tires and tubes. I just feel the added weight to the wheels really sucks the life and energy out of the climbs. For those of you that have switched out to heavier wheels, did you expeience the same kind of thing?
    Last edited by Fachiro1; 06-25-2013 at 12:16 AM.

mtbr member
    What's the weight difference? I added 200+ grams on a wheel set upgrade and my times were faster.

usually cranky
    im guessing you added almost a pound or more of rotating weight. so climbing will definitely feel harder (and be harder). one thing that can really help though is tires. you are running some sloooow tires. get some quick treads on there, especially in the rear, and go tubeless if you can. this will help a lot.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    I think it's at least a pound more rotational weight. The 521's compared to those factory Shimanos is like comparing a Toyota Yaris to a Ford F150!

I figured the tires are slow....

Thanks for the advice people!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    im guessing you added almost a pound or more of rotating weight. so climbing will definitely feel harder (and be harder). one thing that can really help though is tires. you are running some sloooow tires. get some quick treads on there, especially in the rear, and go tubeless if you can. this will help a lot.
    Agreed on this. You bought really nice wheels...I like those rims...mine came out really stiff and strong

There's a million threads to search for fast rolling tiers on here, but I'll throw out my current setup for super fast but still good grip on cornering is high roller 2.35 in front and slant six 2.3 on back. Good for everything but mud and super steep and loose

A fast rolling setup makes an enormous difference

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    Agreed on this. You bought really nice wheels...I like those rims...mine came out really stiff and strong

There's a million threads to search for fast rolling tiers on here, but I'll throw out my current setup for super fast but still good grip on cornering is high roller 2.35 in front and slant six 2.3 on back. Good for everything but mud and super steep and loose

A fast rolling setup makes an enormous difference

THANK YOU!!

I was going to ask next....what tires to get!

usually cranky
    for me its a wtb prowler ss up front and a conti tk in back. surprisingly fast on hard pack. the powler is faster than a minion and imo offers about the same cornering bite. i dont think they make the ss anymore though but the weirwolf is similar.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    The bike is a 2010 Ventana El Ciclon Path edition (66 HT, 74ST)

New Wheels.........heavier...............climbing..... ....less fun.....-kkkkkk_zps4f65538c.jpg

mtbr member
    Did you adjust the hubs? They might be too tight and dragging, or low on grease. Its good practice to adjust all cup/cone hubs before you ride them. That alone can make an enormous difference.

That is a pretty heavy setup. Not necessarily heavy duty, but just heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Did you adjust the hubs? They might be too tight and dragging, or low on grease. Its good practice to adjust all cup/cone hubs before you ride them. That alone can make an enormous difference.

That is a pretty heavy setup. Not necessarily heavy duty, but just heavy.
    Sorry, bub, this thread ain't big enough for two "enormouses" and I beat you to it 7 hours ago, haha

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    btw the EN521 rims are not actually all that heavy. I bet you add no more than 200 grams to the rim (really the only part of the wheel that matters to the rotational mass). but like the others said those are some of the slowest tires going. look into some other tires to go on the new wheels and really let them shine for you.
    27.2 miles ridden (going to be a slow start because of work )

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    The Shimano 775 XT Wheelset.....1677 grams
    The New Wheelset.............2030 grams

So yes.....about an additional 350 grams not including the skewers.

So I'm thinking about less than 1.5 pounds added...not so bad, but I guess it is the rotational weight.

I do readjust the bearing on these Shimano wheels; advice that I picked up here. The wheels both roll very freely without drag and spin on and on and on.

I will try some new tires as you have suggested. Thanks all!!!!

This was the previous set up.....I think visually..it just looks lighter. Climbing felt easier on these wheels, but once pointed down, the bike just didnt feel that secure.

New Wheels.........heavier...............climbing..... ....less fun.....-222-1_zpscfe86e74.jpg

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    sorry, bub, this thread ain't big enough for two "enormouses" and i beat you to it 7 hours ago, haha
    lol!!!!

mtbr member
    Looks like 3/4 of a pound (by my calculation?). As you said, not too bad, but not insignificant either. About the weight of 2 inner tubes. I also went to a heavier tire, which added almost 300 grams per wheel to my bike weight. It's a little slower (1 minute on a 45 minute climb) but they feel so nice and are so good on the downhill, that it's worth it. I hate having to make trade-offs!

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Looks like 3/4 of a pound (by my calculation?). As you said, not too bad, but not insignificant either. About the weight of 2 inner tubes. I also went to a heavier tire, which added almost 300 grams per wheel to my bike weight. It's a little slower (1 minute on a 45 minute climb) but they feel so nice and are so good on the downhill, that it's worth it. I hate having to make trade-offs!
    Agreed! Dont like to make trade offs either! But I guess we all want to improve our DH performance. I know skill and practice and technique have a lot to do with it, but I like the feel of the wider rims.

Time to get more FIT!!

Bro Mountainbiker
    Carbon wheels. You can have your cake and eat it too. I own a high end set, and a Light Bicycle set. And Ill admit, the light bicycle set is way stiffer than the high end one.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens