mtbr member

new wave of 2x tensioners

Theres a new wave of all these 2x chain devices. The first was the MRP I believe. I've heard some mixed reviews on it.

On all my bikes I've rode 2x with a blackspire stinger its cheap and works. These new ones are looking nice and slightly lighter.

MRP has there 2x
    Photobucket
    E13 has there trs+ dual
    Photobucket
    Blackspire twinty 2x
    Photobucket

Anyone ride any of these and compare them?
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

RIP Friendgirl
    Not tried any of them, but they all look like overpriced stingers to me.

Doubt they be any lighter also.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    I don't know if the Gamut P30 is old school or new school but I've been pretty happy with it. If I had to point out a fault (albeit a small one) the roller can at times make some noise. I don't feel it causes excess friction though, just sounds a bit more than nothing.

That MRP looks nice and is supposed to operate very silently. I ride a lot in the winter and my local trails are full of clay. I would fear an additional two fly wheels in my drive train.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeer View Post
    I don't know if the Gamut P30 is old school or new school but I've been pretty happy with it. If I had to point out a fault (albeit a small one) the roller can at times make some noise. I don't feel it causes excess friction though, just sounds a bit more than nothing.

That MRP looks nice and is supposed to operate very silently. I ride a lot in the winter and my local trails are full of clay. I would fear an additional two fly wheels in my drive train.
    I would consider new style Taco style bash
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    I'm currently running the MRP and had been running stingers on several 2x bikes. I had run a MRP G2 prior to this but wanted to go back to a 2x on my current build. I really liked the bash being separate from the crank and decided to give this a try. First thing that took me was how silly light this thing is, I would bet its lighter than a stinger and a bash guard. Setup was like any chain device, totally dependent on the complete setup (crank, frame, rings). After 2 guess and checks on spacing it was up and running. Once pedaling the thing I noticed was how quite it is. This was a big plus for me, I am anal about bike noises. More importantly I have found it to shift flawlessly every shift and I never lose a chain. All and all I have been pretty stoked on it but only have 2 1/2 months of use with it.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    hammerschdmit pwns all of these.

mtbr member
    Will be interesting to see how this plays out. For DH use, the taco bashes are not holding up (see threads in DH forum) but for AM use this could be a nice option and save some weight.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by e-luder View Post
    I'm currently running the MRP and had been running stingers on several 2x bikes. I had run a MRP G2 prior to this but wanted to go back to a 2x on my current build. I really liked the bash being separate from the crank and decided to give this a try. First thing that took me was how silly light this thing is, I would bet its lighter than a stinger and a bash guard. Setup was like any chain device, totally dependent on the complete setup (crank, frame, rings). After 2 guess and checks on spacing it was up and running. Once pedaling the thing I noticed was how quite it is. This was a big plus for me, I am anal about bike noises. More importantly I have found it to shift flawlessly every shift and I never lose a chain. All and all I have been pretty stoked on it but only have 2 1/2 months of use with it.
    +1 light, silent,smooth. I have the clone Truvativ X-Guide that comes on the Slash. Though it will soon look like an MRP cause i over tightened the bolt and cracked the plate. Can't get replacement. Have glued but not quite the same alignment now. MRP have replacement at a decent price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have an MRP 2x on my Uzzi. The thing is great. It works exactly how it should. Fitment on the Uzzi is only OK but that is a problem with the bike and not the guide. It is similar to and Blackspire Stinger in many ways but only more expensive.

Ride Buck Hill Ski Area
    Jul 2005
    I switched to this:

Bionicon USA C-Guide Chainguide

From a Black Spire 2x and it works great. Specialized has their own version that's stock on the Stump jumper.

think
    Jul 2008
    The appeal of the integrated taco bash is the awkwardness of mounting a bash on the current generation of compact double type mountain bike cranks (all the 26/39) stuff.

I run the MRP 2x. If you're HARD on your bash setup you will probably tear it up. If you prefer to keep it light and you avoid dragging belly over things or plowing into them then it should work fine for you. Mine offers basically flawless chain retention and some protection for those expensive 39t SRAM rings. I'm happy with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news View Post
    If you prefer to keep it light and you avoid dragging belly over things or plowing into them then it should work fine for you..
    That kind of defeats the point though, if you aren't smashing the chain rings into stuff you probably won't need a full guide like that either.

I stay away from integrated taco guards, far too often my descending gets interrupted by an almighty scraping noise. I'm sure someone like BBG would do a bash ring to fit compact double crank if asked, all you would need is the right bolt centre, some thick washers and longer bolts to space it away from the outer ring.

think
    Jul 2008
    I use it to absorb my mistakes, not withstand constant punishment. Without a proper guide you can dislodge the chain from nearly any two ring setup if you're getting after it hard enough on rough downhills. So the guide gets you excellent chain retention and moderate protection from chainring hits at a bit more than the weight of a typical bash gaurd that would do nothing for dropping the chain off the big ring - as I said, a good solution for some riders.

usually cranky
    i have the 2x and really like it. super quiet and light. i took off the taco and run a bash with slight modification. taco + bb mount seems like a problem waiting to happen.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Will be interesting to see how this plays out. For DH use, the taco bashes are not holding up (see threads in DH forum) but for AM use this could be a nice option and save some weight.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    taco bashes have been on the market for years for DH bikes. I have one on my DH, most riders I know have one, most people have good results with them.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Pardon my ignorance but what's a taco bash? Pic/link?

Inspector Gadget
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    You invite your friends over for some cerveza's, taco's and pinata smashin'

Seriously... Look up /\
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

pics of first three guides all have tacos. its that plastic part in front that kinda looks like a taco or banana.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    i have the 2x and really like it. super quiet and light. i took off the taco and run a bash with slight modification.
    I would really like to see a picture of your set up. I'm running the 2X as well and can't seem to be able to avoid chain drop from the big ring to the outside. I'm thinking that a bash would solve that.

usually cranky

it is a converted double with a 33 up front. guide is a 36-38 with the taco removed and the guide piece slid all the way back. i had to dremel down the outer piece of the guide just a little bit so the bash didnt rub. if you want more pics or instructions pm me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I really liked my 2.X until I broke the pulley housing off on a rock or something. I was racing in an enduro so I didn't notice when it happened, so I lost the parts. Trying to get replacement parts from MRP has been not the easiest thing...

They were helpful enough regarding email communication, but they just aren't super clear as far as what is included and not included in the replacement parts.

Consider this: Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | Shop

...this is what I needed, that thing plus the pulley wheels and the hardware to mount it. The hardware to mount it is listed separately on their site (thanks to me, after a few emails), but the wheels are not listed separately. So I was rather annoyed, after a week of trying to figure out via email what I needed to order, and I wait like another week for it to ship across country, and it doesn't have pulley wheels.

At that point, I just gave up, and sawed it off and effectively turned it into an XCG.

I decided I will just get like a Bionicon v.2 chain guide and be done with it (At least until I get a SRAM Type 2 derailleur). The Bionicon will be a bit more out of the way of danger than where the 2.X's pulley wheels were.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm pretty happy with my MRP 2x on my Nomad. I have posted about it before, but I had to do some modifying to the backplate and BB spacing, but as other have pointed out this is due to the frame, and your overall set-up, not inherant with the guide.

The ONLY actual thing I dont like about the guide its self is after almost every ride I get tiny pebbles (think slightly larger than grains of sand) that lodge themselves between the pulley wheels and either side of the pulley mount plate and it inhibits the smooth rolling of the pulley wheels. I notice this happen on the trail as the guide gets a lot louder when pedaling. Its such a weird thing. So I have to pull the pulley plate off and clean it after every ride basically.

Ive been using single speed taco guides on my DH bikes for years and that never happens there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've been using the 2X for a while now for AM riding. Have replaced the cover plate once - it is not difficult to break this as it is often hit at the same time as the taco. MRP in Oz gave quick service on this. Overall I'm very happy with its performance as a chain keep and light guard.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have a Blackspire twinty on my Meta Sx. The lower guide was trashed first time I rode it, 2 hours of riding in thick mud and it ended up gouged deeply so that it's now noisy in any gear combination.

I was running the 40t version on a 38t ring with the lower guide slid all the way back, the only place it would clear the chainring. I don't think it's a great solution in combination with an 11-36 rear cassette.

That said they replaced the lower guide, no questions asked. But I think I'll be converting it to use a simple roller instead, I'll press fit soem small bearings into some vesconite tube.