mtbr member
    Oct 2008

NEW vs USED Full Suspension bikes

What is your opinion of new vs used? Have any of you bought used bikes and had bad experiences? What about good experiences? Can one be picky about what used bike one gets and get one in good shape? The consistent response I get from bike stores is not to buy a used full suspension bike as you never know how it was taken care of. Obviously there is an ulterior motive here. Some of the people I found on craigslist claim not to have ridden their bikes much, yet their bikes are selling for 40% below what they paid for it. Compound this with the massive inflation there has been in mountain bike prices in the last few years and you have yourself a pretty sweet deal on a used bikes with XT and XTR components. Is it really not worth the risk? What is your opinion?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I bought my FS giant with a stuck down shock and full XT. Spent like $600 (Thats what the Crossmax wheelset that is had was worth ) for it and $80 to fix the shock....then I got upgradeitis...and its kind of not a $600 bike anymore.....

I would recommend buying a used FS; but just be careful! Research the bike! Cosmetics can be a good judge on a bike. Generally when a bike is abused its going to show it. Also take a good look at the linkages and other potential weak areas. Expect to have something wrong with it and be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have bought 2 used bikes in the last 45 days. The first I found an used bike at a very cheap price and purchased it without shopping much because I wanted to get riding. It broke 4 times in about 15 rides. Since then, I came to realize that buying used is not the problem..... buying the wrong used bike is the problem. A large number of good full suspension bikes see little time on the dirt. If you are not picky and have time on your side, you can get great deals.

By the way, if you chose ebay or craigslist be carteful of a scam where the person says the bike is now out of the country, but they will pay for shipping. They say they want to go through ebay for protection but the link is not an ebay link. It is a very good copy link and you will lose your money.

Huh?
    I just bought a GT I-Drive 5 2.0 used for 625. It had some broken parts, so I paid 100 extra for the tools I need. For the bike I got for the money, I don't regret it at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Motivation...?

I just purchased my first full suspension ('04 Specialiazed Epic Comp) obviously used, however, I consider myself really lucky.
    Given I wanted a decent bike w/out shelling out $2,000, however, still wanted to catch the end of the season...anyway, I looked high and low, primarily Craigslist (not just my small town, but also larger area metro's) and ebay. Ended up finding one local on craigs.
    Anyway, here is my recomendation, if you have time-I think you can steal the bike you want. Keep in mind, economy is bad and getting worse and the season is basically over-at least for us in the north.
    I would try to stay clear of those that are younger and ride frequently...use/condition is going to be the single biggest indicator in the quality (remaining life) of your new ride.
    Frame damage/cracks are your next biggest concern-you want to make sure the rider is a non-jumper, etc...

That's all the advice I have. I am glad I took the time and found the right bike-hopefully, you will have a similar outcome, best of luck

Big Gulps, Alright!
    expect to replace the pivots and rebuild the shock right off the bat. That's ~$80 right there on top of whatever you paid for it. Check the swing link/rocker arms for cracks, particularly along the welds. Check the shock and mounting hardare as well. The bushings may need to be replaced (~$10 there). Make sure there's no rplay in the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I agree with ppieroni, I have purchased 1 new bike and five used in the last year and a half. I bought all the used bikes at 1/3 of new pricing or less. I did put some money into a couple of them but not much. just look them over and ride them. I will never purchase new again. Even the new top of the line model doesn't come with every component I want on it. And I know that newst model isn't going to make me that much faster or better of a rider...
    Best money I have spent was on a bike rack and teaching myself how to service my own bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just remember when checking Craigslist and Ebay if it seems like a steal, it actually might be stolen. My advice would be to find some local groups and talk with them. Most have forums and usually if they sell the give locals a good discount. Plus the fact they probably see you again, there going to give you an accurate description and not rip you off. Limits your selection a bit but have seen some awesome deals.

mtbr member
    Look for Demo bikes at your LBS. I've seen some that have less than 50 miles and look brand new except for dirt on the tires.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks to the suspension design change at Turner, the used FS market has been thrown for a loop. "Old" designs are going for 1/3 of retail - and this has brought down similar offerings from other companies as well.

Oh, use your gut check. That will help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just sold my NEW bike a few months back.... I bought a same year "new to me" bike and wish I went that route in the first place... NEW was nice, dont get me wrong, but the savings was substantial. Set up was almost dead nuits on already and....

My only concern was being able to find a well cared for ride that wasnt beat... I did, and it took less time than I thought.

With what I sold my NEW bike for I have the cash for 2 real nice and look like new rides in almost new condition.