mtbr member

The new Turner Masi

The '05 Liquid JMH and I built up yesterday. Spec is solid, bike isn't too piggy. Only downside on the spec in my mind is the HFX-9 brakeset (and the Hayes precision-manufactured adaptors - run away from their 7" fronts). Huge thanks to JMH for help with the parts and the building. Anywho, now for how it rides...

The ride was cut short by a wealthy decrepit hippie concert occupying trail space ("folk music"). I won't lie...it was a huge disappointment , I think owing to three major factors:

A) I'm used to riding bikes that specialize in one discipline and nothing else (DH, XC, DJ, so forth), never had an in-betweener like this one. Climbed poorly, descended poorly, at least in my mind. The chainstays might've been a wee bit short...I still found myself wheeling out on steeps with the Pike wound all the way down. This is also owing to pedal choice (see below).

B) It sounded like I was riding a bowl of Rice Krispys. The bearings in the frame are hosed, as is the crown on my Pike. The back end was all over the place. I suppose this is the difference between a Trek and a Turner.

C) The Nevegals were a massive let down. I expected grip near what the Minions I've been riding on for the past few months and it was nowhere close. They also have a nasty habit of folding over in corners (I got the single-plys out of weight concerns...was running them at 35R 30F psi, I weigh 165). The front washed over anything loose at all, and rolling resistance was ridiculous, even with the harder compound.

Another issue was the mistake of taking flats on an XC ride...not only did I discover the axles in them are bent to hell, but I'd forgotten how easy it is to climb steeps in clipless pedals. Definitely picking up a pair of Mallets or Acids when I get a chance.

On the bright side, I loved the DT Swiss Onyx rear hub...I've never owned a decent hub, and the engagement on this one was wonderful (when I wasn't ghost-shifting...I suck at derailleurs).

Hopefully I'll grow to like it more with some new bearings, maybe tires, and some clipless pedals (also: no hippies).
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    C) The Nevegals were a massive let down. I expected grip near what the Minions I've been riding on for the past few months and it was nowhere close. They also have a nasty habit of folding over in corners (I got the single-plys out of weight concerns...was running them at 35R 30F psi, I weigh 165). The front washed over anything loose at all, and rolling resistance was ridiculous, even with the harder compound.
    You mean over-inflated single-ply Nevegals don't corner as well as DH compound dual-ply Minions? Unpossible!

JMH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    You mean over-inflated single-ply Nevegals don't corner as well as DH compound dual-ply Minions? Unpossible!

JMH
    Hush you

What do you run yours at? I'd originally tried the front at 25 and the rear at 30 but upon driveway trials I found it to be folding over even at that when I cornered tightly.

There was a part I'd forgotten from my initial post. When the post is slammed and the fork is all the way out the bike bombs, namby-pamby tires aside. Should do well for DH and the like. Only problem is I bought this so I could go up, too...
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

FM
    luxatio erecta
    It's true, a horst link will help isolate the rider from hippies.

VPP also works well, by using the rearward axle-path to cancel out boredom caused by noodly music.