Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

new shock technology on an older bike?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  nagatahawk 
#1 ·
i have a 2004 giant ac2. i blew the shock that came on it and am looking into a new one. i think i want a dhx 5.0.
my friend brought up that since it has so many adjustments (propedal, drop out resistance, high speed compression, etc) that its technology might not work on an older frame. So just to make sure all the adjustments will still work i need some conformation that the type of frame wont make too much of a differece.

heres what the bike looks like (first blue bike)... https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/skatetokil/DSCN0222.jpg

thats not my bike but same model. so will the rear part of the fram cancle out any of the features of the dhx?any input s apriciated

#2 ·
A new shock will definitely work as long as it's the right size for your frame. In that picture, looks like you have a Manitou shock, if that's what you have on your bike, then you'll probably need to make sure you have the correct mounting hardware to fit on the fox dhx. I can't tell you much about performance though, i've never ridden the dhx, but it'll probably be better.

#3 · (Edited)
Don't think it will work...

peternguyen said:
A new shock will definitely work as long as it's the right size for your frame. In that picture, looks like you have a Manitou shock, if that's what you have on your bike, then you'll probably need to make sure you have the correct mounting hardware to fit on the fox dhx. I can't tell you much about performance though, I've never ridden the dhx, but it'll probably be better.
The specs are way off to match a fit...the eye to eye is off by 1" and the stroke differs also.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=31511&Type=bike

Answer Manitou Swinger SPV, 5.50" - 6.50" adjustable travel

You need to get the eye to eye and stroke specs for that shock and try to match them up. if you don't you'll spend lots of $ and have poor performance at best, and terrible performance at worst. Take your time, don't rush anything, it can be tricky.
Jim
http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_bicycle/quickguide_09_DHX.pdf <-- Fox specs.

You'll need to find out eye to eye as I said,
Fox is as below (1st one is 7.5" eye to eye, 2" stroke)
7.5 x 2.0,
7.875 x 2.0,
7.875 x 2.25,
8.5 x 2.5,
8.75 x 2.75,
9.5 x 3.0*

Here's Manitou:

2004 model...
Eye to eye: 165mm or about 6.5" Travel: 38mm or about 1.5"
Weight : 240 grams
Damping : SPV 3-Way
Adjustments : Air, SPV platform pressure, Rebound.
Damper Shaft : Steel
Bushings : Steel / Teflon
Negative Springs : MCU
Options : 360 degree SPV Schrader

#4 ·
Sometimes many adjustments are just more things to screw up and worry about.

Air shock will feel differently, and not better, then a coil shock. Consider cheaper DHX Coil 4.0

For the price of a brand new DHX 5.0 you can get a new Sette Flite frame with the same Manitou 4-way that you have. Frame will be sturdier.

#8 ·
dlax1532 said:
my current shock is only the 3 way swinger, not the 4 way pictured. its 7.875" eye to eye and 2.25" stroke. ive found a dhx that has exactly the same measurements as that. wont it fit and work seeing as it meets those?
That's the size I have on 07 Coiler - DHX 4.0, so it definitely exists.

Depending on price you indeed may find a frame with shock for areasonable addition. SOmething like current sale on Iron Horse MKIII for example.

#9 ·
It should be OK

dlax1532 said:
my current shock is only the 3 way swinger, not the 4 way pictured. its 7.875" eye to eye and 2.25" stroke. ive found a dhx that has exactly the same measurements as that. wont it fit and work seeing as it meets those?
to be safe, check the size of the pivot axles and ensure they will also fit your frame without modifying anything. They could be standard, but checking doesn't cost anything and a wrong size does.

good luck, good research! Jim

#11 ·
nagatahawk said:
i have a DHX 5.0 coil on my "07 KHS AM2000, works great with propedal on the first setting. I matched it up with a Rockshox Pike 454 coil. extra mounting spacer were expensive. around $75.
Thanks man, my bike has the same rear pivots points and same shape of the rear frame. Knowing that it works great for you relly helped. Thanks again nagatahawk

#12 ·
nagatahawk said:
i have a DHX 5.0 coil on my "07 KHS AM2000, works great with propedal on the first setting. I matched it up with a Rockshox Pike 454 coil. extra mounting spacer were expensive. around $75.
Just curious where you got the hardware from? I called up Fox and they sent me the mounting hardware for my GF's 2002 FSR XC for like 15 bucks shipped...

#13 · (Edited)
A friend of mine has that same bike.
I installed a 2008 Rock Shox Monarch on it last year and he really likes it.
He said the small bump performance is far better than the stock Swinger 4 Way coil that was on there previously.
I test rode it and liked the performance enough to go out and pick one up too.

The main reason he went air, was so he wouldn't need to swap springs every time he changed the travel. He runs it in the shorter travel setting for local trails and longer travel for lift access riding.
That said, any modern shock should be an improvement over your older Swinger.
If it will fit, the DHX would certainly be an upgrade.

FYI: The stock shock size that came off that bike was 7.5 X 2.0. The new one is the same size.

Here's a bad pic..If you look close it's the blue one..:D
His old Swinger is on the black bike. I was using it as a spare while mine was out for service.

#14 ·
dlax1532 said:
i have a 2004 giant ac2. i blew the shock that came on it and am looking into a new one. i think i want a dhx 5.0.
my friend brought up that since it has so many adjustments (propedal, drop out resistance, high speed compression, etc) that its technology might not work on an older frame. So just to make sure all the adjustments will still work i need some conformation that the type of frame wont make too much of a differece.

heres what the bike looks like (first blue bike)... https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/skatetokil/DSCN0222.jpg

thats not my bike but same model. so will the rear part of the fram cancle out any of the features of the dhx?any input s apriciated
The heck with the DHX, do this instead to your old manitou:

https://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/5th element speed sensitive conversion.htm

Sorry just noticed the pic is not of your bike! If you have a coil manitou shock, I would recommend the above, won't work if you have an air shock.

#16 ·
lpranal said:
Just curious where you got the hardware from? I called up Fox and they sent me the mounting hardware for my GF's 2002 FSR XC for like 15 bucks shipped...
WheelWorld Culver City Ca.
when I bought the bike I kept destroying the stock rear shock. We found out later that the air valve would hit the frame under full compression and that the shock should have been mounted lnverted. Three shocks later I got them to make me a deal on the DHX Coil. for 200 bucks. Soo they probably wanted to get something out of the deal. and stuck me with extra on the hardware. They also scratched up my bike when it was in for the repairs. I rarely go back, only for sale clothing items. Now I have my bike service exclusively by myself or at a Summit Ski and Cycles in Westchester, CA. After having a series of bad luck issues all related to this bike, I am now considering changing bikes.:madman:
I would like to go to a Felt Compulsion

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.