Thread: New set up help

mtbr member
    May 2011

New set up help

I recently upgraded from an all in one break / shifter combo to the Avid BB7 disc breaks with the Avid Speed Dial levers. I also bout Shimano Olivio shifters. I went to mount them on my Chromag OSX bar last night and noticed that the shifter have a window which shows what gear youre in. But it also blocks where I would like to place my breaks (want one finger breaking). My set up is 3 in the front and 8 in the back. All the other shifters I see are either 2 x 9 or 2 x 10. How could i upgrade to get 3 x 10 or 3 x 9? Would adding these extra gears fit on my rear wheel? its a mavic XM 817 disc with Shimano XT 6 bolt hubs.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

New set up help

Quote Originally Posted by polecats03 View Post
    I recently upgraded from an all in one break / shifter combo to the Avid BB7 disc breaks with the Avid Speed Dial levers. I also bout Shimano Olivio shifters. I went to mount them on my Chromag OSX bar last night and noticed that the shifter have a window which shows what gear youre in. But it also blocks where I would like to place my breaks (want one finger breaking). My set up is 3 in the front and 8 in the back. All the other shifters I see are either 2 x 9 or 2 x 10. How could i upgrade to get 3 x 10 or 3 x 9? Would adding these extra gears fit on my rear wheel? its a mavic XM 817 disc with Shimano XT 6 bolt hubs.
    You should fix all those broken parts and avoid damaging your finger.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    You should fix all those broken parts and avoid damaging your finger.
    they arent broken but why post if you aren't going to provide any sort of real help?

human dehumidifier
    I think he was trying to tell you that it's "brake" not "break"

I have SD-7 levers and an XT shifter on my N-9 and it all fits fine.

To go to a different combo of gears you will need to at least replace the rear cogs and shifters. To get to 10 you'll need a new derailleur and chain rings too. Replace the chain too. It ain't cheap. Nothing is.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    ^ never mind. I took too long.

Break /= Brake

EDIT: Seriously? I got flamed for this comment? How's this? "Something useful."

Moving on... Sorry you had to witness that OP.

Try moving the shifters inside the brake levers on your handlebars. Butt them right up against your speed dials. You may need to strike a compromise on one finger braking vs. ability to reach the shift levers.

Also, Avid BB7's feel even more awesome when you pair them with compression resistant housing. Something like Jagwire's Ripcord for example.
    Last edited by kubikeman; 05-21-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    The cake is a lie.