Thread: New Saddle help

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

New Saddle help

My perineum aches abit(!) and I sometimes get a numb bell end

Help. What can I get that is easy on long and technical rides? No I can't use padded shorts or lycra etc- just can not get on with them.

Currently on a Fizik Gobi.

usually cranky
    i dont know what that is and for fear of what will pop up on google im not gonna check. but maybe something with a cut out might feel better?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'd probably recommend either the WTB Rocket saddle or the Laser V saddle. Both have the "love channel" recess that takes pressure off of the area in concern. I have the Laser V and love it. You could also look at some of the minimalist saddles that are out there that look actually like a V shaped saddle. I don't know of any brand or model names for that style unfortunately.

T.W.O
    All bike seats are different, gotta catch em' all!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    A sensible pair of lycra/strechy briefs/boxer-briefs to lend control and packaging, pants of your choice..with consideration toward the seam/stitching/comfort and my personal fav..WTB Silverado saddle. I know the pain and numbness you are referring to..the numbness is likely the squashing of a blood vessel interrupting blood-flow to the part of the body where all the fun happens...not good or safe..get thee a new saddle.

Everyone will say that the 'right' saddle is a subjective thing, and they are right to be honest, its just a matter of finding the one that works for you and having it set up right. With that I'm suggesting the saddle that has ended my 'crusade' and copious amounts of money spent on all saddles cheap and stupid-expensive until I happened upon this gem. I can only suggest you give it a go and hope it works out..

good luck...dont "play that game" with ur junk..it's the third most important organ in the male body!

mtbr member
    I got rid of the best saddle that worked for me, im still cussing myself for that. The Selle Flite the original. Best damn saddle i have owned, now im searching ebay...........

mtbr member
    Everyone's butt (or perineum) sits differently on the saddle (angles, weight, cushion, etc).

I like saddles that have a channel running down the middle. They are supposed to allow blood flow and keep things comfy. Beyond that thing like shape, width, length of nose, etc are probably all personal preference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I had experience with this. I bought several different saddles (hard, love channel, cutouts) and none solved the problem you are describing. However, if you are living a sedentary lifestyle...(ie. sitting for extended periods of time, desk job) it might not be entirely due to riding or sitting on your saddle.
    A tight or inflamed hamstring, quadricep and iliopsoas muscles can send referred pain to the nuts. This might be too much info, but if youve ruled out all other possibilities, you might want to treat those muscles i mentioned.

zombie freerider
    Another vote for WTB saddles, I have a Pure V and like it a ton. It has decreased numbness for me. Check your local shops to see if they carry WTB saddles becasue they have a cool demo program with those yellow/black colors, so you can try the design first.
    If you've got a racer stance on the bike (seat high, stretched out top tube and long stem, etc) you might look at easing this a bit to help decrease the pressure down below which increases blood-flow. That's one of the reasons why I can't do road bikes... best o' luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SaddleRags
    Another vote for WTB saddles, I have a Pure V and like it a ton. It has decreased numbness for me.
    Ditto for me - the WTB Pure V is rocksolid on the long rides - no issues.

mtbr member
    Another one for the WTB Pure V. I'm rocking the Team model with Ti rails and love it. Tried a Silverado SLT before and hated it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My ass thanks me every ride for switching to a WTB Vigo. Very well padded right under my butt-bones and a nice comfort zone... But, we're all built differently. Try to find a LBS that has tester seats so you can find the right fit for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacek
    My perineum aches abit(!)

Currently on a Fizik Gobi.

Try tilting the nose down a bit. Just 2mm can make a big difference.

The Gobi is a narrow saddle at 128mm (5"). Maybe you need something a little wider,say around 5.25" to 5.75" (133 - 146mm)

No doubt you can find something in the WTB brand as their range is vast, especially if you go back a couple of years.

Good luck on finding a saddle that will allow you to do long rides without shorts - a near impossible quest. If you do find "that" saddle, buy at least two of them as they're sure to be discontinued or changed somewhat in the following years.

A friendly LBS is a good source for cheap high end saddles. I have a LBS that has a box full of new bike take-offs for 20.00 each. They even let me test them for a couple days and bring them back for exchange if they don't feel right. I ended up buying a Fizik Aliante and WTB Silverado for 20.00 each.
    Everyone has a different a$$, so no one on this forum can actually help you choose the right saddle. You're on your own.................................. Oh yeah - price does not dictate comfort. My most comfortable saddle to date is a 2005 WTB Race-Lite that I bought for 15.00 from an on-line bike shop. It's more comfortable than the Fizik Gobi, Aliante and Pogio that I currently have. Go figure