mtbr member
    Aug 2005

New Ride: Soul Cycles Icon

Here is my new ride. The frame is very well made and finished. It was shipped with everything faced. A ride report will follow shortly and I just have to say Soul Cycles CS is awesome, Chad is the man.

Frame straight out of the box.

I love the dropout system that is used, maxle dropouts may be coming too.

Finished bike.

Huh?
    I don't think those dropouts are a good idea. Stiffness looks like it would be reduced drastically.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by airs0ft3r
    I don't think those dropouts are a good idea. Stiffness looks like it would be reduced drastically.
    Yes, thru-axle setups are quite well known for their cheese-like consistancy.

OP: looks like fun! Enjoy!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Chain retention

You can read about the topic of 1x8 and 1x9 chain retention endlessly in the drivetrain forum, but if you don't plan to mount up any kind of chainguide, you may want to look into getting an N-Gear Jump Stop to prevent chain drop to the inside under bumpy conditions. It's not as expensive as the Rohloff system and is better than the third eye chain watcher (that seems to be the consensus anyway.)

http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/whatis.html

I stole this from another post, but:

Jump stop+ bashring+ right chain lenght+ SS ring= 0 chain drops

I would modify it by saying use an oversized bashring for the size of your chainring to keep it from dropping to the outside also. With the jump stop mounted slightly high, you create sort of a "valley" that the chain really has to jump high over to get out. The reason for the single speed ring is that backpedaling induces less spontaneous front shift attempts (due to shifting ramps) if your chainline is not spot on. Blackspire also makes sort of a bashplate sandwich type of set up that is supposedly good.

On another note, judging by the look of the mounting screws being so uneven front/back in your second pic, I think you may have your seat mounted backward on the post. I did this on my Thomson accidentally and a friend pointed it out to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The dropout system is really stiff and does not flex at all, it is really not that different from how other makers do it. SuperBri, when I was building it up I was going to use my e.13 SRS, but apparently it is the wrong ISCG version to mount on the bike. So I just finished the build and will put the new one on when it gets here. With the SRS and the stock chainring on my old bike I did not really notice any issues. Thanks for looking out for me though. As far as the thomson something does not look correct to me either, but the front of the clamp is facing the front of the bike, what else can I do.

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Nice find dogonfr, may give it a try.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    Nice find dogonfr, may give it a try.
    The LBS can order from BTI as well I had to get that same thing for my Nicolai way back when.

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/manufacturer/TP/SP
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot