Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

New Ride: Nomad vs Tracer Carbon

I'm coming off a 2006 Turner Six Pack. I live in SoCal, and my main trails are Turnbull, Santiago Oaks, Whiting, etc.

Obviously, the biggest difference in these two bikes is the head angle. My main concern with the 65 degree head angle on the Nomad is getting it through switchbacks. Santiago Oaks has a lot of switchbacks, and I'm wondering if the Nomad's head angle will be too slack to make these at a reasonable speed.

I know many of you will suggest to demo both, but I can't find anyone who has a Nomad demo. I demoed the T275 from The Path and loved it. I'm simply wondering if the Nomad will be that much better on the downs.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I've been waiting for this VS, I have had the t275 for over a month now and love it. I have done a few steep long climbs in short travel, it goes around switchbacks better than I thought it would and carves them on the dh. I'm sure the new nomad is a super rad bike too. Can't wait to try one!
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    I have a Nomad, and it's an awesome bike. It goes through switchbacks just fine, I wouldn't worry about that. The Nomad climbs surprisingly well, and descends like an absolute demon. The Intense also looks very good, and has gotten rave reviews; I haven't tried one. At 6'3", the lack of availability of an XL size in the Intense made the Nomad a no-brainer.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, so consider living-with-the-bike questions. Intense gives you adjustable travel, and with the steeper HTA you could get a more nimble feel if you wanted. SC has the 1x-only design with protected lower link, and the internal routing is very well thought-out. (Not sure how Intense's internal routing is done; routing the shift cable through the swing arm seems like a potential pain.) I'm not sure how the customer service and warranty responsiveness of the two companies compares, but SC is pretty good.

If I were in the enviable position of picking between these two, it'd probably come down to availability, and whether I could get a deal on either bike. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PureMTB View Post
    I'm coming off a 2006 Turner Six Pack. I live in SoCal, and my main trails are Turnbull, Santiago Oaks, Whiting, etc.

Obviously, the biggest difference in these two bikes is the head angle. My main concern with the 65 degree head angle on the Nomad is getting it through switchbacks. Santiago Oaks has a lot of switchbacks, and I'm wondering if the Nomad's head angle will be too slack to make these at a reasonable speed.

I know many of you will suggest to demo both, but I can't find anyone who has a Nomad demo. I demoed the T275 from The Path and loved it. I'm simply wondering if the Nomad will be that much better on the downs.

Thanks
    Both are amazing bikes, that's for sure. If I were you I would stick to my rule and never buy a bike without testing it first. Keep looking for a Nomad demo or get the Tracer if it fits you well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    This decision can never just be easy, can it? I'll keep looking for a Nomad demo. I'll probably just make a trip up to Santa Cruz. I hear the trails are amazing.

I share the view that a bike should always be ridden before buying. Unfortunately for me, I can't find a Nomad demo. I might have to settle for a T275, which isn't settling at all because it's an amazing bike.

Thanks for the help so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Can anyone else shed some light on this? Anyone ridden both?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I haven't ridden the nomad, but will be getting one the summer. I rode the T275 and it rode really nice, but I'm in between a Med and large. Large I rode felt too big and too tall. I'm also not crazy about the cable routing under the BB as quite a bit of slack is needed for the suspension to cycle and it seems very exposed to kicked up rocks or debris. Intense also needs more time to prove their bikes are reliable again, I've seen too many with a variety of issues.

I do like the ability to change the travel and spring rate though.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    If your main riding area is Oaks and Whiting why get such a slacked bike. Anything in the 150 mm range will be plenty and in he 67mm angle.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Because I can. I'm building a new bike up, and these two are at the top of my list. Plus, my current bike has a 68* HTA, so why not go extreme? Whether I need it or not is a different story. But I want it . Any modern bike will pedal uphill better than my current bike, and descend better too. I don't have a problem with climbing, and want more confidence on the descents.

Stand back
    I've had an Enduro with under the bb routed cables for a couple years now with zero issues. And yeah, the rocky mountains have rocks.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    I've had an Enduro with under the bb routed cables for a couple years now with zero issues. And yeah, the rocky mountains have rocks.
    That grants some peace of mind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm having the same dilemma, cannot decide between T275 or Nomad3. Nomad demos are far and few between because the bike is too new. The bikes are very close on paper, 5mm travel difference, lightweight, highly rated, cost, etc. The only real difference is geometry, and of course colors.

mtbr member

Re: New Ride: Nomad vs Tracer Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by glance2 View Post
    I'm having the same dilemma, cannot decide between T275 or Nomad3. Nomad demos are far and few between because the bike is too new. The bikes are very close on paper, 5mm travel difference, lightweight, highly rated, cost, etc. The only real difference is geometry, and of course colors.
    Another difference - warranty.
    SC - 5 years
    Intense - 2 years

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Nomad demos are far and few between because the bike is too new.
    This is exactly the reason I'm most likely going to go with the intense. Who knows how long it will be before shops get nomad demos, if they even do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Another difference - warranty.
    SC - 5 years
    Intense - 2 years
    How is the reliability for Intense? I have read some reviews questioning reliability.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    How is the reliability for Intense? I have read some reviews questioning reliability.
    Their newer frames are good to go as far as I know. Rumors spread like wildfire. As far as I know, the main problems people had with Intense was misaligned rear triangles on their aluminum frames.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    as a former Intense uzzi owner, and former alu Nomad owner, and current Bronson owner, my vote would be for the carbon nomad. IME the pivot design, and customer support, of SC beats Intense. I'm assuming you'll be owning the bike for years and putting on a lot of miles. If not, then pick your favorite color scheme.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    With such a big investment, probably worth making the drive up here to visit SC and do a demo. You will like the NorCal riding...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Try Fullerton bike, they sell SC, call them, they may have nomad demo.
    I know they have a bunch of bikes for demo.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Slack is the new black

The Nomad (new one) is still said to climb extremely well since combined with the slack head angle, it has a rather steep seat tube angle, so your weight still ends up well centered for climbing.

If I had my choice, I'd go Nomad 100% over the T275.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    Try Fullerton bike, they sell SC, call them, they may have nomad demo.
    I know they have a bunch of bikes for demo.
    This is true, was there yesterday:
    424 E Commonwealth Ave, Fullerton, CA 92832
    (714) 879-8310

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dgon27 View Post
    This is true, was there yesterday:
    424 E Commonwealth Ave, Fullerton, CA 92832
    (714) 879-8310
    Last time I called, they didn't have one, nor did they expect to get a Nomad demo.

Either way, someone PMed me that the Path has Nomad demos available now (thanks, you know who you are and I have it reserved a couple of weeks from now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i have demoed both bikes. i demoed the t275 in a sz lg which i felt was a little big for me (5'9") and i demoed the nomad sz md which felt a little on the small side. both bikes are available at the path. i absolutely loved the nomad, it is a dh ripper and a suprisingly good climber, actually had one of my fastest times down ol' emerald. I was left with nothing but great things to say about the nomad. i rode some flowy trails and some technical trails and this bike handled them awesome. I too am looking at both of these bikes and cant make my mind up. i would like to demo the md. tracer before i pull the trigger. Let me know which bike you thought was better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=995TzJWKM0k

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    New Ride: Nomad vs Tracer Carbon-s1600_intense_cycles_tracer_275_carbon_pro.jpg

New Ride: Nomad vs Tracer Carbon-2014_scb_nomad_c_profile_blk.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Once I finally ride it, I'll post up which one I think is better. Another bike to throw in the ring: Canfield Balance. Looks very promising.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast