Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Boulder chucker
    Quote Originally Posted by PureMTB View Post
    Once I finally ride it, I'll post up which one I think is better. Another bike to throw in the ring: Canfield Balance. Looks very promising.
    Not sure how far from San Diego you are but Cal Coast bikes has both (Large if I remember right) available to demo.

mtbr member
    I gotta say, I bought a Canfield without having ridden one. I was pretty nervous, as it's a lot of money being thrown down sight unseen. Result? Best bike I've ever owned by a longshot. My bike (the One) is an effing tank on the descents, and it still climbs as good as any other AM bike I've ever ridden, especially in the rough stuff. The attention to the often-overlooked items is incrdible: very oversized and high quality pivot bearings, oversized pivot bolts with dust shields, pre-faced bottom bracket and head tube... tons of things. Their customer service is off the charts good too. The Balance looks like a fantastic bike. They've been designing and testing it for years now, so it'll be very dialed. And surely it'll have that signature Canfield smooth feel both climbing and descending. And with how hard the Canfields, as well as Vin and Sean (the other employees) ride, it'll be able to withstand any trail you can throw at it. They build bikes that reward aggressive riding. Fantastic company, and even better bikes.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwaved View Post
    Not sure how far from San Diego you are but Cal Coast bikes has both (Large if I remember right) available to demo.
    I have the Nomad from the Path booked for next weekend. I live a few hours away from San Diego.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    I gotta say, I bought a Canfield without having ridden one. I was pretty nervous, as it's a lot of money being thrown down sight unseen. Result? Best bike I've ever owned by a longshot. My bike (the One) is an effing tank on the descents, and it still climbs as good as any other AM bike I've ever ridden, especially in the rough stuff. The attention to the often-overlooked items is incrdible: very oversized and high quality pivot bearings, oversized pivot bolts with dust shields, pre-faced bottom bracket and head tube... tons of things. Their customer service is off the charts good too. The Balance looks like a fantastic bike. They've been designing and testing it for years now, so it'll be very dialed. And surely it'll have that signature Canfield smooth feel both climbing and descending. And with how hard the Canfields, as well as Vin and Sean (the other employees) ride, it'll be able to withstand any trail you can throw at it. They build bikes that reward aggressive riding. Fantastic company, and even better bikes.
    Do you know if the new Balance has a rear axle path too? I've heard the Jedi likes to load up and stand up in corners. Has this been a problem?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So after finally getting to ride the Nomad I've decided...

It will be my new frame.

I liked everything it did better than the Tracer. The Tracer tended to squat down deep into its travel when climbing, slackening the seat tube angle. This caused me to speed up the climb, otherwise I felt bogged. The nomad, however, sits higher in its travel I can choose to either rocket up a climb or crawl up it. This is the second bike I've own where I felt like I could relax on the climb and take my time without the feeling of being robbed of energy, the first being my dw 5-spot. The slack head angle was not an issue at all. It only wandered when I was in too high of a gear. Shift down, keep on moving. I honestly think I had a harder time keeping the front wheel down on the Tracer than I did the Nomad.

In the descending department, they both are incredible, but the Nomad is just an absolute demon. The Nomad I rode had the Monarch Plus, and I see no reason to order it with the Vivid Air unless it's going to be a park bike only. I'm most likely going to have my shop swap it for the Fox Float X because I want to Avalanche it.

So there you have it. The Nomad climbs and descends better than the Tracer IMO. The slack head angle on the Nomad is no trouble even on the steepest of ascents. I haven't taken the Nomad on switchbacks yet.

I'm about 6'2" and rode a large, and that's what I'll be sticking with. I feel too stretched out on the XL.

mtbr member
    Just wondering if your still loving you nomad? I'm thinking of making the jump to the SC from my tracerC. Love ever thing about the tracer but it sits a little low in its travel and wish it hed a little more support mid travel(too plush), like when I'm coasting on a flat with the dropper down and need to hammer out a few cranks of the peddles to mushy. Maybe i could set up the ccdb CS better. We sell SC too at the shop and i think most of the build should fit on the nomad from the tracer. It would be at the very least a good comparison of the two.
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Unfortunately, my funds for a new bike had to be spent elsewhere. But given the opportunity, I'd definitely trade the Tracer for the Nomad. The Nomad is the best bike I've ever ridden, bar none.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2