mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New Reign or New Remedy

So which one, the new reign or the new remedy, both look awesome. I have a free ridebike and an xc race bike, so what should I get for trail riding/super d racing? Am limited to these brands from my LBS that looks after me. Also, if the remedy then carbon or not?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Bottom line is both bikes will be awesome, but the Reign will be a better deal. Giant almost always gives you more for your money when paying full price. Sales and discounts are obviously a different story...

mtbr member
    Both are awesome bikes. The new Reign X is really cool but I'm always cautious with first year products. Shouldn't be a problem with Giant though. I'd have to toss a coin on this decision.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same position on debating between the reign and the remedy. Right now it just comes down to which I can get my grubby hands on first. I'm leaning toward the Remedy just because the matte titanium looks sweet.

black tooth grin

remedy an all mountain?

I was just checkin out the remedy myself and have a question on remedy vs. the fuel ex
    isn't the fuel an all mountain and the remedy a freeride or a all mountain? Or is the fuel a xc I'm gettin lost on the definitions

mtbr member
    Remedy is all mountain.
    Fuel EX is XC.

From what I understand, the Remedy is comparable to the Reign/ReignX. Fuel EX is along the lines of the TranceX series. Correct me if I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I think the Fuel Ex would fall between an XC Top Fuel and AM Remedy.

Ride it 'til it breaks
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chris68
    Remedy is all mountain.
    Fuel EX is XC.

From what I understand, the Remedy is comparable to the Reign/ReignX. Fuel EX is along the lines of the TranceX series. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    +1

I'm a fan of Trek, the geometry just fits me right. But I do know a few people that love the Reign. I'd say get the Trek, but those bikes are both good and it always comes down to getting on the bikes to see which one feels better to you. Both bikes are winners.

As to carbon or not: I have no idea. It'll be lighter, but I don't know if it's worth the extra $$$.

black tooth grin
    Okay. thanx for the info much appreciated.
    I read somewhere that any trail rider should really be ridin a AM instead of a XC so I went and started lookin again and fell across the remedy its extremely hard to justifiy the extra cash though but i guess if it could/can take more abuse than the fuel than WTF right?
    any one know weight comparisons for the remedy/reign?

Ride it 'til it breaks
    Apr 2009
    The 09 remedy 7 is about 32 lbs. No idea about the reign...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The '10 Remedy is going to run around 27 lbs and the reign I believe is going to be about 28 lbs

mtbr member
    For what its worth, a friend of mine bought a reign2 and rides the crap out of it... great bike, only problem he had was the freehub was defective and had it replaced, and no problem since.
    he rides evertyhing from XC to some pretty knarly freeride.

Mi nombre es Austin
    with trek the frame is covered so if it breaks they'll replace it, define t plus with the carbon fiber. also since if someone like me gets this bike it will probably be the last bike I get so it is good to know the frame is covered.

I too have fallen love with the trek remedy but when I get enough money I'm gonna try all the bikes that are available in my area in the same price range.
    In my opinion The remedy just looks so much simpler than other suspension designs! not to mention the frame is so sexy (:
    If a XC bike with 4 in. of travel goes down the RedBull Rampage course and nobody is there to see it, is it considered DH

black tooth grin
    09' 32 lbs. compared to 27 on the 10's that seems a pretty hefty weight loss on a year difference. the 08' fuel ex8 weight in at 28. I wonder what the 2010 is running at. Is it typical for a XC to be lighter than a AM?

Ride it 'til it breaks
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf125
    09' 32 lbs. compared to 27 on the 10's that seems a pretty hefty weight loss on a year difference. the 08' fuel ex8 weight in at 28. I wonder what the 2010 is running at. Is it typical for a XC to be lighter than a AM?
    Yes, xc bikes will almost always be lighter than all mountain bikes. Also the '09 remedy 7 will be heavier than the '10 remedy 9 because the higher models use lighter parts. I think I saw 27-28 lb builds of the remedy 9 in the All Mountain forum. It just depends on what components are on it.
    Last edited by darthbobby; 09-09-2009 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Own Trek fuel ex 9 now and ride mostly all mountain. Remedy is solid bike but i do think the latest '10 X0 reign is a better bike,after riding one the other day. I am soon to be getting a Canfield myself, since i need to get a bike that matches the riding i do more closely.

mtbr member
    I was looking at Reigns and Remedys for a long time before I pulled the trigger on a new-to-me bike. They spec out very similarly, but for me I just like the looks of the Trek a bit more than the frame shape of the Giants. Kinda dumb way to make a decision, but there ya go. Since I was buying used, I had to wait to see what came along and ultimately wound up getting a screaming deal on a Fuel.

Regarding the Fuel vs Remedy, I ride an '08 EX-9 and my buddy has an '08 Remedy 8. His is about 5lbs heavier than mine. I don't really notice the weight difference that much when climbing (although the EX-9 doesn't even feel like there's a bike under you when you're humping up a hill), but you really can tell the weight difference when you're bombing down stuff hard and hit the occasional surprise obstacle. It's much, much easier to just flick the EX-9 askew in mid-air to adjust for a sideways landing or whatever. We're at similar riding levels, but on the lighter bike I'm usually first to the top and frequently right on his heels on the way down.

That said, I like to huck off stuff and hit any big obstacle that my limited skill level allows. I've found the 130mm front and 120mm rear travel of my Fuel to be a limiting factor. I've come within a few mm of maxing the rear RP23 and have bottomed the front Talas 130 a couple times even though my sag is set correctly. I really don't think I'd be comfortable hitting something with a drop of much more than 3-4 feet on that bike, but it's not what it's designed to do. That extra 20mm-30mm of travel on the Remedy would sure come in handy. And the ReignX-models offer even more travel than the Remedy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i'm also looking at the 2010 remedy and reign. anyone know the weight of a 2010 remedy 7 and reign 2?

Mi nombre es Austin
    I wonder when someone will get their hands on one to review, I saw on some site that they are planning on using the 2010 remedy design for 2 years, I cant wait to see a review on them.
    If a XC bike with 4 in. of travel goes down the RedBull Rampage course and nobody is there to see it, is it considered DH

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    the giant it a better pedaling bike
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

mtbr member
    Giant updated their website with all the 2010 specs if anyone wanted to check it out. I know there was some specs posted in the Giant forums but in case someone missed it. I'm still debating between the 2 bikes as well. Both look great!

LCW
    mtbr member
    Any idea which one (between 2010 Remedy and 2010 Reign X) would climb and pedal more efficiently? From someone that has ridden both, not just speculation?

both looks awesome... Reign X has a bit more travel and definitely looks burly, but the 2010 Remedy 9.9 looks so amazing!

The Scratch and Scratch Air look amazing too...

Last edited by LCW; 10-02-2009 at 07:10 AM.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    EVIL Following

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've been researching these a lot recently for a friend.

The Reign X does not compare to the Remedy.

The best model to compare against the Remedy is the regular Reign model, not the "X" model. The Reign X is more of a freeride bike with a bigger 160mm fork up front and a pretty heavy spec. When looking at the Remedy 7 vs the Reign X2, the difference is huge. One is outfitted with low-end heavy components and suspension to take a beating, while the Remedy 7 has more mid-level components and suspension. The best thing about the Remedy 7 is the fox fork (even though it's not a 36), for the price of the Remedy 7 you get much more of an all-mountain bike that will go up and down easily. The Reign X2 might have nice suspension (efficient), but geometry and weight will hold you back more. In fact, with more front travel and a higher front end, it's not going to be a pleasure to climb up stuff. Just because it's got the maestro suspension and "pedals well" doesn't mean it will climb well.

As far as Remedy vs Reign, I am not as familiar with the different Reign specs, but once again the Remedy 7 has a decent spec and suspension, rather than some cheaper bikes that come with god-awefull forks like the "TST2" stuff. It looks like Trek chose to spec the bike with the lowest/cheapest components that would actually work for the intended purpose. If they used stuff any cheaper it would cut into the bike's ability/reliabilty and so on. It's a great value and it's what I'd get.

The scratch is a better comparission to the Reign X, but it starts at something like $3500 or so.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just FYI: I have a Fuel EX and a bigger 6 inch GT Sanction and there isn't much my Fuel can't handle. The bigger bike just makes things easier but with a little more technique the Fuel will do just about anything, it's real light and will climb like a goat!! Same goes for the Giant Trance, my riding buddy has one it's pretty much the same. I guess it all depends on how much climbing vs more aggressive descents you're doing. You've got a tough decition to make, both bikes are extremely similar (and good). Just my .02 cents...

Members who have read this thread: 0