mtbr member

New Process Kona 153 Trek Remedy or SC Bronson

OK. Coming up on new bike season and I have 3 all mtn up and down bikes that appear to fit the bill on what I want. Looking for something that can climb up and bomb down. All 3 seem like good choices. Anybody think one would be a stand out over the others?
    Keeping it Real Since 1971!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Bronson. Itīs a proven great bike. The new Kona Process is probably great too, but itīs unproven. The Remedy is good, but in my opinion inferior to the Santa Cruz steed, both in performance as also in long term reliability.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Fwiw the 2017 Bronson climbs dramatically better than the 2017 Process. Both are great going down.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    You may consider the 2018 Transition Scout as well.

I looked at the specs between the SC and Trek and they are very close. What stood out to me was the SC has a steeper seat tube angle by like 6deg.
    Other than that the bikes are very close to the same geometry-wise. The SC will have a better warranty.
    I have the Remedy and am satisfied with it. I love the rear sus setup as 99% of the time I leave it fully open even when out of the saddle mashing.
    Had I not got such a good deal on it I would have went with Transition.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Just like everyone looking for a new bike, I am reading as much as I can and trying to crunch numbers on these 3. I like all. The Bronson seems to be given very high marks going up as well. Also have been reading about the Pivot Mach 6 but I cannot find anything on how well it preforms climbing back up.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a 2018 Process 153 AL/DL 27.5. Coming from a SC Heckler (which has been great) I was also considering a Bronson for reasons above but found a steal on the Kona ($2300) so I pulled the trigger. My research indicated 27.5 would be a better fit for my type of riding (New England) but I'm sure a 29 would be fine too. Kona claims the G2 design is a better climber than previous design and I found a couple of youtube reviews where the same was reported.

It showed up a week ago and have it assembled. Bike is badass and built like a tank...kinda looks like one with the Military Green! Dropper (Reverb Stealth) acting up in cold garage but works fine when brought inside warm house...still working through this issue.

I'm 6'4" / 220lbs so chose XL Frame...when put on scale it's about 32lbs. My Heckler (26" XL Frame) is about 30lbs. I'm not concerned with the heft...one less cheeseburger will offset!

Have not ridden yet due to bitter cold up here (3 def F this AM).
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler...still kicking
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I'm surprised the Remedy isn't super popular considering the geometry is very similar to the Bronson and the component package seems like a steal. Both the Remedy 8 and Bronson R build kit are $3300. The Bronson comes with a Fox Rhythm 34, the Remedy comes with a Lyric. The Remedy also comes with the 1x12 Eagle GX drivetrain, wider rims, and the mino link to adjust the geometry. On paper the Remedy looks fantastic but I haven't had a chance to ride one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Dave View Post
    I looked at the specs between the SC and Trek and they are very close. What stood out to me was the SC has a steeper seat tube angle by like 6deg.
    Effective seat tube angle for both bikes is 74* I believe

mtbr member
    Yes. I checked the HT angle the ST angle and the wheelbase on the Trek Remedy and the Santa Cruz Bronson and the are almost exact. The remedy does seem to be cheaper for the same weight build as the Bronson. I cannot find a Kona review that I can compare these to for the 2nd and 3rd level builds.

mtbr member
    I got a 2018 Remedy 8 a few weeks back and loving it! Did have to take it into the shop to get the pivot hardware greased (there was a user post about it on the trek website) to kill a slight creak and the Bontrager dropper is a bit finicky in the cold (stops about an inch from the top sometimes) but other than that its been amazing. The Bronson was on my list as well as a Transition, the non lifetime warranty on the Trans ruled it out and the parts spec won over the SC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got a 2014 remedy 29 and it mobs up hill. Traction is awesome. Does really well allaround. Even on the downs. Just put in a Works angleset to slack it to 66.5 which is plenty for 29 + Lower the bb a tid & steepen the the seat angle a tid. I think i just modernized it a tid. Super impressed with it stock. We will see how the change in geo feels. Hopefully full rockn roll.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mEKamonkey View Post
    I got a 2018 Remedy 8 a few weeks back and loving it!
    How is it climbing and maintaining momentum on singletrack? I'm looking for a trail bike that can handle sending my 6'5" 215 lbs frame off moderate drops/jumps (4-5 ft high, 8-12 ft distance) and through rock gardens very regularly but also pedals and climbs well. I don't need to be especially fast uphills but I don't a bike that's going to sap all my energy either. The Remedy and Bronson look like they'd fit the bill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Dave View Post
    The SC will have a better warranty.
    How do you figure?
    Both offer a life time warranty on the frame for both models in question.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Transition Patrol. I love my new 2018. 10 times the bike my 2008 Heckler was. And Iíve ridden Bronsonís, Pivot Mach 5.7ís, GG Megatrails, etc.
    2018 Transition Patrol

mtbr member
    Bomb down? Check out the Orbea Rallon. The seat tube angle off sets the head angle. The bike climbs very well, and will destroy the above mentioned on the way down.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Also the GG Smash. If you can get over the carbon lust... GG has great pricing and great customization on their site.