Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New Nomad 2 Build - 1st ride report and pics

I'll try to get all the pics that I posted from the Santa Cruz section to post here. Here's the ride review:

OK, so I finished her off and here is my 1:40 ride review:

First - HOLY PEDAL FEEDBACK IN GRANNY BATMAN!! I had no idea what the pedal feedback would be like when standing in the granny. When seated, I hardly notice it but when I stand up it feels frickin' weird. Middle does it a less, but still does. The rear is so 'stiff' when climbing and standing that the front ends up bobbing quite a bit. That energy's gotta go somewhere.

Second - when seated and climbing and going over 'square bumps' like a gnarly root or something it's so plush the bike feels like the tire is flat. If you unweight yourself or are standing the bike really firms up and it's more harsh than my Heckler.

Third - the steering, with a 160mm Float, a 90mm stem, and a full width (28", I think?) Easton DH bar the bike steers awesome. Any more slack and it would feel 'floppy' - pushes the very edge on slackness while still being very good on tight singletrack

Fourth - climbing really steep stuff. This bike wanders way less than the Heckler. The front wheel likes to come up off the ground a little more but it goes straighter. I guess the slacker HTA helps with that where the Heckler with the 150mm TALAS 36 is a little more twitchy.

Fifth - The suspension is not nearly as plush as I expected. That's not to say it didn't work well but the DHX 5.0 came with way too much compression damping 'tuning' for my taste. I'm running a 550lb spring with 120psi in the damping chamber. I know you are supposed to run 125 but... maybe it's tuned for 90* weather and hotter? It was 47* (felt balmy!) today and sunny. So maybe the 2 months where it's above 70* here it'll feel OK.

Sixth - this thing really shines down the singletrack. It soaks everything up really well, steers exactly like I expect it to, and has a great 'attitude' offa jumps and drops. I especially like the Float fork (09) on this bike. I had to turn the high speed up 3 clicks and the low speed up 1 click. I can't wait to try this off one drop that I always get a little scared of. Oh - and the suspension has a lotta 'pop' to it. I guess that's because when you push off a lip or off a wood jump the chain growth pushes against your non-moving feet (unless you pedal off that stuff, but I don't). Manuals through dips really well too.

Seven - very, very quiet suspension and drivetrain with the stinger. It only clanked when I was going fast over rough stuff - I guess the neoprene might get replaced with innertube soon.

Ok, a few pics:

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wow! Nice!
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

I DON'T avoid rocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wow, great report.

Surprised to hear about the feedback while pedaling in the granny, what with all of the hullabaloo over the improvements in that regard with the VPP2. I'm on an Intense 6.6 and was wondering how much better the newer designs would be. For me it's definitely noticeable while seated, so maybe there is an improvement. The Tracer VP folks seem to report it as a non-issue, though I wonder how true that is while standing.

Are you sure you're running the right spring rate? 550 seems pretty stiff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebarker9
    Wow, great report.

Surprised to hear about the feedback while pedaling in the granny, what with all of the hullabaloo over the improvements in that regard with the VPP2. I'm on an Intense 6.6 and was wondering how much better the newer designs would be. For me it's definitely noticeable while seated, so maybe there is an improvement. The Tracer VP folks seem to report it as a non-issue, though I wonder how true that is while standing.

Are you sure you're running the right spring rate? 550 seems pretty stiff.
    I'm going to try a 500 spring today or tomorrow. On my Heckler, I'm running 50 under the recommended. This is about 50 over what they recommend for my (nekkid) weight. Whatever the case, I like a softer, plush setup so you might be right on. Is it worse to over or under sag with VPP?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Holy Crap - beautiful bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What size granny ring are you using? I had a lot of pedal feedback on my Banshee Rune (also a type of VPP suspension system) until I replaced the 22t granny with a 26t (some also use a 24t), and the pedal feedback instantly disappeared.

I have heard people with the older Nomads do exactly the same thing. I am surprised it is so bad with the new Nomad because I had heard the suspension had been changed to minimise the feedback,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey74
    What size granny ring are you using? I had a lot of pedal feedback on my Banshee Rune (also a type of VPP suspension system) until I replaced the 22t granny with a 26t (some also use a 24t), and the pedal feedback instantly disappeared.

I have heard people with the older Nomads do exactly the same thing. I am surprised it is so bad with the new Nomad because I had heard the suspension had been changed to minimise the feedback,
    I was riding 24t but decided to go 22t on this bike because I like how my other bike (the Heckler) rides with 22t and I have a ton of 22t gears in stock.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Very nice setup

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay

First off all, sick bike! just wondering what happened to the XT wheels you had on it in these photos... why the switch to the WTB's?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseJuice71
    First off all, sick bike! just wondering what happened to the XT wheels you had on it in these photos... why the switch to the WTB's?
    There is a good reason for that, and I'm not super happy with it. I've been running the XT wheels (AWESOME SETUP, btw) for almost a year. I'm using Alligator centerlock to 6 bolt adaptors. They work perfectly with the IS standard FOX 36 but will not work with a post mount Fox 36 - an 8" rotor will rub on the post mounts. I realize the 8" rotor isn't in the pix but it's still winter here and in winter a 6" works pretty well. Sooooooooo - I put the WTB to have a nicely aligned rotor and brake. I also have to run the tubed Enduro tires (which I like a lot) instead of the UST Nevegals.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Second ride review:

OK - so I rode the Nomad 2 with a 500lb spring (I have 450, 500, and now two 550's!). It mellowed out the pedal feedback in the granny a little bit. With the 500, I'm getting 0.7" of sag, or 28%. They recommend from 25-30% so that's right in there. I don't know what the 550 was because I never measured it but the 500 is good for my weight.

There is still pedal feedback but I truly think I just need to get used to it. I'm quite suprised as I thought that the Heckler would have more feedback than the VPP bikes. I also turned the rebound down to 4 or 5 clicks out from fully open - I forgot to check it yesterday and it was at 12 clicks! The biggest problem I have with the feedback is that when I'm standing up a nasty steep climb and have to get over a square edge bump (root or a funky rock in the trail) it stiffens the suspension so much that I'll peel out on it. The FSR NEVER, EVER does that and the Heckler doesn't seem to as harshly. The good part is that when I hammer up a logging road it just GOES. But I mostly climb singletrack on principal (I'm a MTB'er, not a roadie )

So - it's mellowed out a bit now, the sag is within recommended range and the bike is still awesome on the downhill. I might just have to sell the Heckler. I guess the main reason is because I now owe $500 on the visa and my wife will kill me if I don't pay for that asap!
    "It looks flexy"

My theory...it's all the white, throws the force out of whack. If anything I'd go below recommendation on springs for Fox shocks, works better for me at least...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    The biggest problem I have with the feedback is that when I'm standing up a nasty steep climb and have to get over a square edge bump (root or a funky rock in the trail) it stiffens the suspension so much that I'll peel out on it. The FSR NEVER, EVER does that!
    Ding, ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. You've just described one of the reasons I like a well-executed FSR/HL/4x4 linkage better than the VPP. It doesn't surprise me that you still notice the feedback compared to a FSR type suspension

If you had come from the v.1 VPP to the new Nomad you would have noticed that the pedal feedback is much less on the new version (at least while seated). I guess I didn't try climbing any rocky/ledgy stuff standing on the new Tracer so couldn't say if it has pedal feedback there... but I'm almost always seated in those types of situations. .

Great report. Beautiful bike. Too bad the XT wheels didn't work with your fork/brake setup. They look totally sick with that all white setup. Very nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Before I got my Banshee Rune, I had a Titus Motolite which used the patented FSR suspension design. Although it exhibited no suspension feedback whatsoever, the suspension squated everytime I put the power down, plus it bobbed uphill.

With my VPP Rune the bike just surges forward under power and on smooth climbs feels very stiff and hardtail-like, whereas the Titus would be bobbing, soaking up alot of energy. I much prefer the VPP to the FSR, now, especially since I replaced the granny ring, I experience virtually zero pedal feedback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Ding, ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. You've just described one of the reasons I like a well-executed FSR/HL/4x4 linkage better than the VPP. It doesn't surprise me that you still notice the feedback compared to a FSR type suspension

If you had come from the v.1 VPP to the new Nomad you would have noticed that the pedal feedback is much less on the new version (at least while seated). I guess I didn't try climbing any rocky/ledgy stuff standing on the new Tracer so couldn't say if it has pedal feedback there... but I'm almost always seated in those types of situations. .

Great report. Beautiful bike. Too bad the XT wheels didn't work with your fork/brake setup. They look totally sick with that all white setup. Very nice.
    I'll get the XT wheelset back on there - I just have to modify the adapter or get CL rotors. I'll probably get some XT rotors soon. Just trying to decide if I go 8" front, 6" rear or ride 8x8 like last summer. or maybe try 7x7. So many options...

As far as the FSR the real problem with it is that (at least with the Enduro) I could tune it to ride well on general singletrack OR to be good off jumps/medium to small drops... but not both at the same time. I don't mind bob at all so that's not really a negative to me. My brother feels the same way but is happy with cranking up the damping when he's going on a trail with doubles, etc and then changing the settings again when riding general trail stuff. But I'd ride another in a second - I just wanted to try something new. Heck, maybe I'll sell the Heckler and have the FSR and VPP in the garage?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey74
    Before I got my Banshee Rune, I had a Titus Motolite which used the patented FSR suspension design. Although it exhibited no suspension feedback whatsoever, the suspension squated everytime I put the power down, plus it bobbed uphill.

With my VPP Rune the bike just surges forward under power and on smooth climbs feels very stiff and hardtail-like, whereas the Titus would be bobbing, soaking up alot of energy. I much prefer the VPP to the FSR, now, especially since I replaced the granny ring, I experience virtually zero pedal feedback.
    Out of curiousity, what granny are you running? I bought a Sugino 24t a while back and the teeth seem really soft - they mushroom out and deform really quickly. Fortunately it was steel and I just flipped it around. Their steel must be softer because I've been running this old LX steel granny for years on other bikes and it's not deformed at all yet.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Great looking build! Looks like the perfect all mountain machine.

I am a bit surprised to hear you have noticeable feedback on the vpp.2. I have the Tracer VP and am coming from an Intense 6.6 and Ellsworth Moment (similar to FSR). I have not noticed the feedback on the Tracer yet (very noticeable on 6.6 and non-existent on Ells). I am sure there is some there since it is still a VPP but it just really isn't perceptible to me. The VPP.2 seems much more neutral but still with some platform support. In the end, every suspension design has its compromises.

Enjoy the nice ride!

mtbr member
    What is the bashguard?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    What is the bashguard?
    It is a Gamut P2 - weighs 5g less than the 44t XT chainring it replaced. Not that I care about 5g but I happened to weigh both when I put it on.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    how much does she weigh?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Out of curiousity, what granny are you running? I bought a Sugino 24t a while back and the teeth seem really soft - they mushroom out and deform really quickly. Fortunately it was steel and I just flipped it around. Their steel must be softer because I've been running this old LX steel granny for years on other bikes and it's not deformed at all yet.
    I am running a cheap Shimano Deore granny ring, and it seems fine.

mtbr member
    It is a Gamut P2 - weighs 5g less than the 44t XT chainring it replaced. Not that I care about 5g but I happened to weigh both when I put it on.
    You run 32t middle?

I only found P20 - is it the same, typo, or an old model? 75g for 32t is claimed, I guess they do make their weights.

mtbr member
    fcd
    Click click, BLOODY CLICK WAFFLES!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sweet ride, congratulations! I'm curious about the weight too.

mtbr member
    Here is a little update I posted on my cross thread on all mountain. I don't know the weight - I'll have to go to a bike shop and ask them to weigh it for me. Yes Curmy, I'm running 32t and the guard is for 32-34 teeth. Nice and light and beefy.

OK, so here is a setup I'm starting to be pretty happy with: 28% sag, rebound 5 clicks from open, propedal turned as off as it goes, and the compression psi at 130. I started the compression at 120 because that's where I like it on my heckler but then started thinking that this bike may need more - the leverage ratio is 2.52 vs the Heckler LR of 2.36. You of course need more spring and it makes sense more load is placed on the damping circuit as well. I brought a pump along and tried 140 and 135 but they were too much. It still has the issue in the granny when standing but not as much. I think the rear tracked a little bit better and maybe gained some braking traction - it also feels like 'stuff' might be breaking in and if feels a lil more plush than the first ride did. Right now, I am pretty darn happy with it. I rode it today for 3 hours on trails I am very familiar with and I am starting to really feel like the bike has significant advantages over the Heckler and over the FSR for me.

I'm starting to think the setup on VPP is much more important than on FSR or single pivot bikes - and when you get it dialed in, that is when you really start to notice how well the suspension works in a wide variety of situations. You know what would be nice? To have the new DHX RC4 damping can on this shock. I wonder if they could just slap that on a shorter body? Why not, right?

Also - the Fox Float 36 2009 is one damn good fork. I still think it flexes more than the older 36's but it's not like running a QR or anything like that!
    "It looks flexy"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast