mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New MTB rider needs help with rear shock

Hello everyone

I am new to MTB riding and I just recently purchased a beginner nishiki full suspension bike. For the money it is a great bike I took the bike to a bike shop and they were surprise by the level of components on the bike. So far I clocked about 20 miles. It handles well on the roads and trails. The disc brakes stop on a dime and the quick fire shimano gears get you where you need to be. The only thing that sucks, is the rear shock. No lock out features. So Guys I am look for a decent rear shock with a lock out feature. Not looking to spend a fortune ($<200).
    New MTB rider needs help with rear shock-img_9667.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Manitou Radium Expert Air Shock

Need to figure out the shock eye to eye length and stroke of the shock. Do you know the model of this frame?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    OK. I will have to measure tomorrow. the frame is a 20in with 26.5 tires.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Having good adjustable compression damping is far more important than a lockout IME. Lockouts are for riding on the road and next to useless on the trail. Propedal type levers that significantly increase compression damping (whilst still allowing the shock to move under big impacts) are a bit more useful, but still not as much as having good adjustable compression as one might find on a Fox vanilla RC4, Cane Creek DB, x-fusion Vector, Bos Stoy, Push MX-tune DHX, Avalanche AVA tune DHX, or air shocks like a fox RP2/RP3/RP23/CTD/etc tuned by Push, Cane Creek DBA, x-fusion vector air and bos void. With the shocks mentioned, you can tune to have good firm low-speed compression support, negating the need for switching a lever all the time, and still have great sharp-edged bump performance that just gets better the faster you go through rough stuff.

The downsize is that they aren't cheap, but what is relatively inexpensive is to buy 2nd hand one of the shocks that Push or Avalanche services, and have them tune and modify it for your weight and bike. You have to make sure to buy the correct size shock that works on your bike, but they'll handle it from there. The most inexpensive way would be to pick up an RP3 or something like that and send it to Push. They can give you the performance you want.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Speaking of which, if you're lucky, and this is the right size:
    Push Industries - 7.5 x 2.0 Kashima FOX RP23 Refurb

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    Speaking of which, if you're lucky, and this is the right size:
    Push Industries - 7.5 x 2.0 Kashima FOX RP23 Refurb
    Yep, that would be one of the absolute best ways he could go about this, it's a no-brainer. Although it doesn't have all the compression adjustments I was stating, push upgrades the circuits and gives them the correct settings to give you the same end-result. Check yer size and then if it matches, I too agree this would be an excellent buy.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.